[TnB Review] The LEGO Movie 70807 MetalBeards Duel

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 13

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

[TnB Review] The LEGO Movie 70807 MetalBeards Duel

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Set#: 70802
Name: MetalBeard's Duel
Theme: The LEGO Movie
Year: 2014
Pieces: 412
Minifigs: 3
Price: US $34.99 / CAN $44.99 / UK £29,99

The Box:

The Pieces:

Dump the contents out and you'll find three numbered bags and the instruction booklet

The contents of bag one...

bag two...

and bag three.

Here are some of the more interesting and uncommon pieces.
There's a fair amount of gold and silver pieces for a set this size as well as a few dark orange parts.

These gears have never appeared outside of a technic set before.

The Minifigures:

IMG_1572 by Brickbuilder0937, on Flickr

This set comes with three minifigs: Robo SWAT, Robo skeleton and Frank the Foreman.
Frank's head, torso and legs are unique to this set as well as the skeleton head.

No alternate face printing on any of these figures

The Build:

The first part of the build is the Micro Manager. (I like how they hid a red 2 x 4 brick in the middle.)

The flick fire missiles fold into the sides.

Adding the lid so you can put the robo skeleton inside as a pilot.

Hinges on the bottom so the legs swivel.

Add claws so LEGO city can be arranged to perfection.

Starting to build MetalBeard with bag two.

The chest contains MetalBeard's vital organs which consist of a bone and a sausage.

Forgot to mention earlier that the printing on his hat is new.

Double cannons on his left arm.. (Yes, they actually fire)

and a shark on his right.

I was hard to keep the parrot from falling over and the gold flag wouldn't stay up, but I suppose it was just a faulty piece.

MetalBeard completed.

From the back.

The completed model.

Extra pieces.

Conclusion:

DESIGN 9/10 - The design of MetalBeard is well done and really feels like he was built from old parts of a pirate ship. The micro manager looks just like you'd expect an evil robot to look, with the multiple red eyes and the claws. As far as I could tell these models match their movie counterparts perfectly.

BUILD 9/10 - The models are fairly sturdy, and they are simple enough that if a model ever did fall apart it would be fairly simple to put back together without much trouble.

MINIFIGURES 8/10 - Two of the three figures (Frank and skeleton) are unique to this set.

PLAYABILITY 9.5/10 - MetalBeard, Micro Manager and three minifigs leave plenty of play options. The models are sturdy enough to be handled, and flick fire missiles and cannons make this set even better. MetalBeards sword isn't attached to his hand in any way so it falls out sometimes.

PARTS 10/10 - This set has a wide variety of useful and interesting pieces (22 of them are gold).

PRICE 10/10 - I feel that this set is very well priced for everything you get. At $35 it comes out to 8.5 cents per piece.

OVERALL 9.25/10

Thanks for reading and don't forget to answer the poll.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [TnB Review] The LEGO Movie 70807 MetalBeards Duel

Post by Brickred » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:25 am

This set is a winner, very creative and stands out once done. Interesting mix of pieces and I can imagine making a larger metal beard mech - one that complements the sea cow. I hope this gets somewhat discounted so that I can get a few. Thanks for the in depth review. TnB is Lego central!