LEGO Ideas - Winter 2014 results

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Morgan19
Knight
Knight

LEGO Ideas - Winter 2014 results

Post by Morgan19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:45 am

See the much-anticipated results of the latest LEGO Review and the unveiling of the next LEGO Ideas set. Frederikke Hoff from LEGO Ideas gives you the inside scoop of what's coming out next!

Taken from https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1/post/11
Yup, you’ve got it! This is the results of the Winter 2014 LEGO® Review. Six projects from the Winter Review and one still under consideration from the Fall 2013 LEGO Review have been considered from every angle. Here’s what we have decided:

LEGO Ideas #008: Research Institute

We’re very excited to release Ellen Kooijman’s Female Minifigure set, featuring 3 scientists, now entitled “Research Institute” as our next LEGO Ideas set. This awesome model is an inspiring set that offers a lot for kids as well as adults. The final design, pricing and availability are still being worked out, but it’s on track to be released August 2014, so keep an eye out!

All other projects from the Winter 2014 Review periods will not be produced

The LEGO Review Board has evaluated each project according to our decision criteria. We’ve decided that all other concepts in the winter 2014 review period will unfortunately not be produced as LEGO sets. This decision, however, does in no way take away from the incredible talent put into these projects or the passion supporters have shown.

Very exciting! :)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: LEGO Ideas - Winter 2014 results

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:00 am

Awesome.
Will probably be first Cuusoo/Ideas set I buy.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:21 am

I'm very happy that this project is going forward to the production stage, though it's interesting to note that it was NOT actually originally a part of this review period, but was a hold-over from the previous round. This means that not one idea for this actual review period made it. This is sort of troubling, since it continues the trend of one product per review period, even though there is no explicit statement that this is the way it works. Even more troubling is that a project that is held over for additional review could trump other projects.

That said, I'm honestly not surprised at the other results. While the UCS DeLorean looks great and would be really cool, it would directly compete with another Cuusoo/Ideas product still on the shelves. We've seen Zelda get the axe before. Macross and Sherlock are not kid-friendly. Likewise, Japanese Architecture won't resonate with kids. Not sure about Adventure Time, though I'd imagine it's a licensing thing.

Of the next review period, my money's on the Bird Project or possibly the BTTF Train (which would not directly compete with the DeLorean set, but would work as an add-on). There's an infinitesimal possibility that Dr. Who would get the nod - but which one? I can't imagine Big Ban Theory (too much adult-oriented humor) or Apple Store (can't imagine what the licensing would cost) making the cut.

EDIT: Morgan19 - I hope you don't mind, but I've reappropriated your post for use as a news article.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:03 am

Not at all. :)

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:17 am

I think it was suggested on brickpicker that this is a $20 set so I expect they included only 2 or 3 of the original vignettes. This idea was just perfect for a set of polys rather than a single small set.

That said, I am disappointed that they made two sets from the previous review period and none from the following one. It seems they are not following the guidelines they set out. I was rooting for that Japanese architecture set, too.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:38 am

bea wrote:I think it was suggested on brickpicker that this is a $20 set so I expect they included only 2 or 3 of the original vignettes. This idea was just perfect for a set of polys rather than a single small set.
The post states it will feature three minifigures. While the initial concept may have been a series of polybags, that is not the way Cuusoo/Ideas is intended to work and they explicitly stated that in the Cuusoo guidelines update of last December, where they state "One Project = One LEGO Set" - meaning you can't propose a new theme or series.
That said, I am disappointed that they made two sets from the previous review period and none from the following one. It seems they are not following the guidelines they set out. I was rooting for that Japanese architecture set, too.
To my knowledge this is the first time that a project has been selected after being held over from a previous review period. What other project are you referring to?

There is nothing in the guidelines that states they have to move one project to the product stage from a given review. In fact, I'm almost certain that it explicitly states the opposite - that they are in NO WAY obligated to elevate a project to the product stage in each review. It's my understanding that it's at the discretion of the LEGO Ideas Review Board to give the thumbs-up or thumbs-down to each and every project in the review, meaning we could have a review with no products, or we could possibly have a review where all projects are produced - and anywhere in-between.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:41 am

Sooo... It looks as though all Winter proposals (except for the Research Institute/female minifigures) are now denied hope of being chosen for future sets? So the Adventure time, Zelda, and Sherlock proposals are rejected. Right? I really liked the Adventure Time proposal.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:49 am

Yes, the post explicitly states "All other projects from the Winter 2014 Review periods will not be produced" so there's really no room for guessing.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:59 am

My first thought is that I wonder if the production version will use friends figures...

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:08 pm

^ That is a good point. Using minidolls instead of classic minifigures would somewhat server to undermine the point of the original proposal. However, not using them would undermine the time and money invested in their development as well as their corporate defense of the Friends line. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

oocaleb101oo
Knight
Knight

Post by oocaleb101oo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Legend of Zelda would have been great. This female minifigures will be a great addition, but I may leave it behind if it features "Friends" figures. I prefer the classics.

omalak
Citizen
Citizen

Post by omalak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:46 pm

meh... Although interesting, this set does not resonate with me. I don't see it as a good fit for a Cuusoo/Ideas set.

Like a few posters before, I could see this as a polybag. I will likely buy 1 just so i can continue to collect the Cuusoo/Ideas sets but i will be keeping it sealed.

Pricing will be interesting, I would not pay more than 25-30cad for this set

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:08 pm

StClair wrote:Sooo... It looks as though all Winter proposals (except for the Research Institute/female minifigures) are now denied hope of being chosen for future sets? So the Adventure time, Zelda, and Sherlock proposals are rejected. Right? I really liked the Adventure Time proposal.

In other words LEGO Ideas is continuing to be a complete waste of time. Why would I bother designing sets when I don't even get a reason why the set ideas were passed on?

Japanese buildings would have been amazing, same with Zelda and Adventure Time.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:59 pm

This got me thinking. Why are there no male friends figures..or I guess as people have been calling them, "minidolls"? I've never payed much attention to friends.

I think Lego is taking a pretty big risk by endorsing this set.

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:27 pm

lego the hutt wrote:Why are there no male friends figures..
There are, actually. ;-)

Image Image Image Image

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:34 pm

lego the hutt wrote:This got me thinking. Why are there no male friends figures..or I guess as people have been calling them, "minidolls"? I've never payed much attention to friends.

I think Lego is taking a pretty big risk by endorsing this set.
There are some male Friends figures BUT only very few. I've noticed a couple in some of the bigger sets. They are much rarer than the female figures in the sets. I've only recently started paying attention to the LEGO friends line after I discovered that the hairpieces work well with LEGO minifigures which offers a few more possibilities when creating characters. Also I like that the LEGO friends sets have parts in colors that I don't see as often in other LEGO sets/themes. I haven't bought any of the Friends sets yet but I did purchase one of the Friends figures on ebay to see how similar they were to LEGO minifigures. Here is a post at Cavortblock (different website) that shows some of the results http://cavortblock.blogspot.com/2014/05 ... -lego.html

I'm not sure that agree that it will be a big risk (not to offend you). I am disappointed that neither the Zelda set or the Adventure time set was approved. Actually I disappointed about Sherlock as well (my #1 favorite show at the moment). I think that if they sell either 3 of the female figures with accompanying backgrounds and equipment (similar to whats shown) for $20 that they would sell very well. I love the telescope and the dino skeleton. They were very creative builds. I could use some of the pieces and IF they do a good job choosing parts/designing the female minifigures (regular LEGO minifigures) with interesting torso, hairpieces and accessories I think many will buy them for the parts. I find myself buying more and more female figures in the LEGO blind bags because of parts.

Someone else (several members) mentioned that they may have worked better as polybags. I think that would have been a good idea as well but I actually think selling 3 for $15-$20 would work well. I too hope that they don't use LEGO friends for this. I think it will work better if they stick with regular LEGO minifigures. I teach at a middle school and I have more and more female students identify themselves as fans of LEGO and so far all of them purchase LEGO themes and sets that do not belong to the LEGO Friends line. Most of them that I've talked to like LEGO creator and LEGO City.

Still I do think that LEGO Zelda or LEGO Adventure Time would have been a much more profitable choice... (although I just realized that the chosen female scientist minifigure set does not involve licensing so.. maybe that affected their choice?)

I'm rambling far too much. Thanks to anyone that read through to the end ;-)

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 pm

vynsane wrote:....

Of the next review period, my money's on the Bird Project or possibly the BTTF Train (which would not directly compete with the DeLorean set, but would work as an add-on). There's an infinitesimal possibility that Dr. Who would get the nod - but which one? I can't imagine Big Ban Theory (too much adult-oriented humor) or Apple Store (can't imagine what the licensing would cost) making the cut....

The Bird Project is a good idea. It also would not involve licensing problems. I think that the Big Bang Theory set was well done but its not my favorite. My favorite is Doctor Who. I'm really really rooting for the Doctor set. Because of Doctor Who I even wandered away from LEGO and purchased Character Building Doctor Who products. Doctor Who has a very big following with teenagers at the moment thanks to actor Matt Smith. I think IF Doctor Who is to be released in LEGO form this is the moment. I hope it happens and it is done well.

auralgami
Peasant
Peasant

Post by auralgami » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Gah.

Why would anyone participate in this? It feels like they make the rules up as they go along. We'll choose one, except when we won't, and we can delay one till next time, except when we don't. It really sounds like (1) Last time there were two we really wanted to make and (2) This time, we can't/don't want to touch any of them with a ten foot pole.

I would like to see that if licensing is an issue, toss them out before they are "up for consideration" because they're really not up for consideration -- they don't have a chance. Please don't tease us and the creators if Zelda is never going to happen. It's just cruel. Same with Sherlock and Adventure Time. It would be very easy to highlight great creations that people make without getting people's hopes up unnecessarily with things that are only going to be disappointments.

I am glad the Female Minifigure set is being produced. I just wish it didn't have to be accompanied by the announcement "See all these amazing sets? Well, forget it. Come back next time when we jerk you around again!"

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:06 am

auralgami wrote:Why would anyone participate in this? It feels like they make the rules up as they go along. We'll choose one, except when we won't, and we can delay one till next time, except when we don't. It really sounds like (1) Last time there were two we really wanted to make and (2) This time, we can't/don't want to touch any of them with a ten foot pole.
Literally the only 'rule' they have imposed upon themselves (since this is their playground) is that they are in no way obligated to choose an idea for production just because it reaches 10,000 supporters. If there are 10 ideas that reach 10,000 but the review of each makes the marketability of all of them questionable, they will nix all of them and no product will result from that round of reviews. In this instance, had Female Minifigure Set not been held over, no product would have resulted from this round of reviews.

That said, I have a feeling that you're correct - they held the Female Minifigure Set idea over from a previous review period because they ended up with two ideas that got the green light, but either could not produce both at the same time or wanted to hold on to one in the event that there was a review period that contained no viable products.

I commented on the blog post and received a reply from Tim Courtney basically to that effect - here's the transcript:
vynsane wrote: Great news! I'm very glad that "Female Minifigure Project" made it!

The only thing that worries me is that none of the projects that were actually in this round of reviews made it to the product stage. This time around, only the one that was held over from a previous review period was selected. Can we get a solid statement that it's at least theoretically possible that two products will emerge from a single review period without one being held over into another one? Or, if not, can we get acknowledgement that there will only ever be one product from any given review?
vynsane wrote: (in response to myself)

In thinking it over, I suppose there are no guarantees that a product will result from any given review period, is there? Had the Female Minifigure Project not been held over, this round could well have resulted in 0 products, right?
Tim Courtney wrote: Hi vynsane, your second comment is correct. The Review Board thoroughly evaluates each project and makes a decision on each project independently. The fact that we green-lit a project that was carried over from a previous period does not mean it was chosen OVER the ones in the current period.

Beyond that, we're not going to discuss our production capacity, as this is internal information related to our business operations.

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:11 am

To my knowledge this is the first time that a project has been selected after being held over from a previous review period. What other project are you referring to?
What I meant was, both the ghostbusters set and this one reached 10k in the same review period so there were two sets made from that review period and none from the following one.