[CAN]: Target now price matching online merchants (some)

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[CAN]: Target now price matching online merchants (some)

Post by hatcher » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:03 am

So I don't recall seeing this mentioned on this forum, if so, please feel free to lock. Target Canada will now price match online ads. Here's the link to their page:

http://www.target.ca/en/support/price-match?lnk=gnav

Basically, they'll price match any of the big Canadian retailers who have a website (amazon, sears, walmart, Canadian Tire, Toys R Us, Bestbuy, Futureshop and BabiesRUS). The catch is, you have to show them the add on your smartphone. You can't print out a copy of the add from home and bring it in. Which screws me since I don't have a smartphone.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

crom71
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: [CAN]: Target now price matching online merchants (some)

Post by crom71 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Good news! Thanks for the heads up. :-)

stan5345
I'm New !

Post by stan5345 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up. This month Toys R Us has some sets I want at 20% off. Thanks to this I saved an additional 5% with my redcard, which was nice. Unfortunately the lego section at my Targets seem pretty bare, and the choices of sets are pretty limited, they only had one of the sets I wanted.

I wish there was a way to check Targets inventory online.

stan5345
I'm New !

Post by stan5345 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:04 pm

By the way, I don't have a smart phone either. I printed out the items on the TRUs website that day, went to Target and the cashier accepted it without a problem. They did mention I could just show it on a smart phone if I wanted though, but I didn't get the feeling it was required.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I think if you bring a printout with the current date on it you have a solid argument in your favor. If it becomes a hassle though I'm okay with giving up the extra 5% savings and shopping elsewhere.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:58 am

Good to know. I was thinking of trying it myself (printing out the ad). If I do, I'll let you know the results.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

stan5345
I'm New !

Post by stan5345 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:05 pm

So today I went to a different Target location to try and get some of the other sets and they refused to price match the printed ads. They wanted to see the ad on a smartphone. I asked if they could check the online price using their computers and was told no. So far I'm underwhelmed with Target Canada for the following reasons:

1. They don't have an online store so can't easily check prices or store inventory.
2. Their Lego aisles are pretty small so they only have a small selection of sets. Also I've found their shelves often bare.
3. They won't check an online price for you to match it. I've price matched a few times at other retailers like Staples and FutureShop and they'll just look up the price on their computer to verify.

Until Target addresses their issues I'll be going back to my regular stores like TRUs and Amazon.ca for my Lego fix. So when I got home I put in my order at toysrus.ca for 5 sets at 20% off, totalled $131 before tax. I was willing to spend that money at Target, but I'm not interested in arguing with them to take my cash.

Edit: Looks to me like the PM policy has been updated since yesterday to exclude printouts, or perhaps I've only read more closely this time. :eh: