Sopwith Camel Sold Out

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
payam81
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Sopwith Camel Sold Out

Post by payam81 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:44 am

Looks like this set has unceremoniously been retired.

Shows as SOLD OUT: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Sopwith-Camel-10226.

Luckily I picked one up last month after availability slipped temporarily.

vorpalblade
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LEGO Sopwith Camel 2012 Set

Post by vorpalblade » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Awww dang. I had been waffling on this purchase for a while, and had decided to get it during the double VIP October..

vexxet
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: Sopwith Camel Sold Out

Post by vexxet » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:47 am

rumor is Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Haunted House, Volkswagen T1 are all going to be retired extremely soon as well. Its insane they all go out at the same time.

gev
I'm New !

Post by gev » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:07 am

vexxet wrote:rumor is Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Haunted House, Volkswagen T1 are all going to be retired extremely soon as well. Its insane they all go out at the same time.
None of these surprise me. Brickset even says the Haunted House was discontinued in August.

Mildly stunned that Grand Emporium is still available.. it's been around since March of.. TWENTY-TEN. *boggle*

vexxet
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by vexxet » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:33 am

gev wrote:
vexxet wrote:rumor is Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, Haunted House, Volkswagen T1 are all going to be retired extremely soon as well. Its insane they all go out at the same time.
None of these surprise me. Brickset even says the Haunted House was discontinued in August.

Mildly stunned that Grand Emporium is still available.. it's been around since March of.. TWENTY-TEN. *boggle*
yeah I keep watching it(Grand Emporium) on S@H and it goes in and out of stock like crazy. The Pet Shop still shows no signs of being sold out, but the Volkswagen is an interesting case. That should have sold out well before the Camel if it was truly being discontinued... In my mind at least, lol.

hikari
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hikari » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:25 am

I have one of all the retiring sets, considering to buy a second. Which one would you prefer? GE, PS or HH?
For additional floors and bricks.

SSchmidt
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by SSchmidt » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:12 am

What kind of value will the Sopwith hold after retirement?

I have two volkswagons I ordered online a few months ago.

payam81
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by payam81 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:59 pm

For Canadians:

Amazon.ca still has this in stock at the regular RRP of $129.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007QIJ ... UTF8&psc=1

vexxet
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by vexxet » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:51 am

hikari wrote:
I have one of all the retiring sets, considering to buy a second. Which one would you prefer? GE, PS or HH?
Haunted house is my favorite, if you can get it that is. I love the Pet Shop because you can break it apart and seperate it in your Town plan. Emporium is pretty snazzy looking building, but on the inside I dont like how bare the second and 3rd floor is.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:58 pm

I bought Sopwith Camel earlier this year. It's a very nice design,and it's an pretty easy build. Quite a few AFOL already have them here because it is such an awesome design. I am currently trying to ressurect a Red Baron Triplane to keep it company. I'd hope TLG will consider making Eddie Rickenbacker's SPAD XIII or a Bristol SE 6 next time. My LUG group does displays for the National Air and Space Museum every year so having a few aeronautical historical models comes in handy.

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:25 am

vexxet wrote:
hikari wrote:
Haunted house is my favorite, if you can get it that is. I love the Pet Shop because you can break it apart and seperate it in your Town plan. Emporium is pretty snazzy looking building, but on the inside I dont like how bare the second and 3rd floor is.
Most of the time - I see lego towns with train layouts. The problem with corner lot building is that there are fewer corner lots than middle lots so corner lot designs are not needed as often. One to the bigger problems Lego buildings is the type of building ... a small town plan needs only one speciality buidings like a Fire house so one only need one of it. Lastly, modular building which are specifically designed for one purpose and resist customization means you only need one version/kit for your town plan. TLG needs to sell a customizable modular set ... where a AFOL or TFOL can change the storefront or the lobby Atrium ... or sell customization kits for modular building ... Hence an AFOL might buy several modular building but customize each one differently so that they don't look the same in the town plan.

hikari
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hikari » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:33 am

Neo wrote: Most of the time - I see lego towns with train layouts. The problem with corner lot building is that there are fewer corner lots than middle lots so corner lot designs are not needed as often. One to the bigger problems Lego buildings is the type of building ... a small town plan needs only one speciality buidings like a Fire house so one only need one of it. Lastly, modular building which are specifically designed for one purpose and resist customization means you only need one version/kit for your town plan. TLG needs to sell a customizable modular set ... where a AFOL or TFOL can change the storefront or the lobby Atrium ... or sell customization kits for modular building ... Hence an AFOL might buy several modular building but customize each one differently so that they don't look the same in the town plan.
I was thinking about buying the second as the modular buildings have lots of bricks of uncommon colors with a decent price. If I have two, I can keep one as original and the other to mix with others to build MOC. But a second GE, PS and HH cost 400+ dollars! ... :???:

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:34 am

I am thinking a 'Sold Out' sign on S@H doesn't indicate this will no longer be available. If you look around at other products, Sets that are no longer available are listed as 'retired product' or similar with no pricing information listed on item page. The 'sold out' items still have all the pricing information which leads me to believe that it is simply out of stock and LEGO doesn't have an in-stock date yet. Several items went to 'Sold Out' with no notice of being retired, the odds of that happening are small IMO.

jbhalper
I'm New !

Post by jbhalper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Haunted House has been listed as Sold Out since about the first week of September if I recall correctly. Grand Emporium was sold out around the same time, but has since come back in stock.

I've been watching the Haunted House, hoping to catch it in October. I do hope that the Sold Out is just a longer-term unavailable, but not permanently retired status. I know it's not truly modular, but I love Halloween, and I think it's close enough to fit in nicely or possibly modify a bit to make the fit a bit better. Fingers crossed it comes back, even if I miss the x2 VIP points.