Aurora

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Nannan
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Aurora

Post by Nannan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Hello folks,
I'm proud to share my latest collaboration with Tyler (Legohaulic). This is a 7'x7' display of a floating world shattered into fragments, whose citizens are now rebuilding their lost home. You can see more detail shots on Tyler's and my Flickr photostream.

-Nannan

mrbean
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Aurora

Post by mrbean » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Wow! That's epic. I love the variety of pieces used, and all the vibrant colours. That's an amazing display, thanks for sharing. I'm also jealous of your lego collections and building skills.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:09 am

Thanks for sharing your masterpiece! The design, colors & detail are anazing!

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 am

That's amazing! It makes me want to live there. ;)

MoFOL
I'm New !

Post by MoFOL » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:28 am

That's beautiful and inspiring. I especially love the fountains.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:58 am

These are fantastic dioramas. Excellent storytelling as well.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:59 am

Nannan, I hope you and Tyler don't mind, but I had compiled your teasers into a gallery and now have added the full series. I think it's a truly appropriate way to present this beautiful collaboration.

Are the purple pillars intended as some sort of artificial gravity source that keeps the floating platforms from separating?
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Nannan
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Nannan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:22 am

vynsane wrote:Nannan, I hope you and Tyler don't mind, but I had compiled your teasers into a gallery and now have added the full series. I think it's a truly appropriate way to present this beautiful collaboration.

Are the purple pillars intended as some sort of artificial gravity source that keeps the floating platforms from separating?
No problem, thanks for doing that! Those are indeed anti-gravity pillars that keep the platforms floating.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 am

Cool, glad you're okay with my doing so.

"keep the platforms floating" - ah, I had assumed whatever cataclysm that befell Aurora had in some way demolished the core of the planet but affected the gravity in such a way that the remnants of the crust would float at the same level they had always occupied, just now without being physically anchored to each-other, which would necessitate the pillars to tie everything together. Now I have a different view since you say they're anti-gravity.

The theory I was thinking of was, taking the earth as an example, if you were to instantaneously replace the iron core and layers of magma with a tiny, super-dense star that perfectly mimicked the gravitational properties of what it replaced, we might end up with our same tectonic plates floating on air instead of magma, and then pseudo-scientifically hand-wave away any discrepancies. Of course, this is nothing new, there have been plenty of 'hollow earth' theories in the past (and present, I guess).
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive