[CANADA] ToysRUs Bricktober Week 2 - Oct. 7 - Oct 13, 2011

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

[CANADA] ToysRUs Bricktober Week 2 - Oct. 7 - Oct 13, 2011

Post by harry99 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:26 am

I hope this has not been posted yet but this is what will be on sale at Canadian ToysRUs stores the second week of Bricktober - again, nothing that strikes me as extraordinary:

Shop Now at ToysRUs.ca

20% off all Ninjago
20% off all Lego Technic
30% off all Lego Cars

The only thing I can think of getting is the Lego Technic Unimog... I doubt they have it in store so ordering online would probably be the best approach. However, they don't allow you to get the magnet figure with internet purchases.

Something interesting is that they hand out a Mini Sub # 301000 with purchases over $35 CDN as well - so the Unimog seems very interesting...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: [CANADA] TousRUs Bricktober Week 2 - Oct. 7 - Oct 13, 20

Post by hatcher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 am

Wow, strike 2 TRU! That sale um, stinks.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Toronadian
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Toronadian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:26 am

I like the Unimog but it isn't at the top of my priority list. Might pull the trigger I guess.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:10 am

hatcher wrote:Wow, strike 2 TRU! That sale um, stinks.
This sale does anything but stink. You may not want to pick anything up (and neither will I), but 20% off two healthy, ongoing themes and 30% off another less good one (anybody else's Toys 'R' Uses have, like, 30 of every Cars set lying around?) is significant.

I now wish that I hadn't picked up Unimog from the LEGO store in August, but I never thought it'd reach Toys 'R' Us so quickly, much less be priced below MSRP and then put on sale a couple weeks later. $183.99 is a phenomenal price for it, and any Technic fan who hasn't already should be picking it up now.

I had a feeling Flatbed Truck would be hard to find during the anticipated Bricktober Technic sale, so I grabbed it and Bucket Truck during their last 20% off sale. Looks like I was right, since my local store is now sold out, so all I have to do is go back with my receipt and grab my magnet. It's a cryin' shame that Toys 'R' Us doesn't carry Ultimate Build Mater; now would've been the perfect time to grab the original Cars duo.

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 am

Sorry if I offended, but if you don't collect any of these lines, (such as myself) then this sale is meaningless.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:53 am

Well, they cleared out what they needed to get ride of in Bricktober Week 1 - this is just like any of their 'regular' sales for them... The Cars II theme has been at 20% off almost anywhere incl. ToysRUs (Zellers has the BOGO 50% off almost every second week on Cars II).

I was hoping for a sale on Lego Creator... but this will probably won't happen anytime soon...

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Lame. :zzz:

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [CANADA] ToysRUs Bricktober Week 2 - Oct. 7 - Oct 13, 20

Post by autobrick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:45 pm

Hmmm... I might pick up a couple of Cars sets; 30% off is the best I've seen them at. Then again, Cars doesn't seem to be selling well; anybody figure that they'll get any cheaper?

Somewhat off topic, but is it just me or are we starting to see a lot more polybags in Canada? The free sub one is new to Canada, and I've seen the Creator Lighthouse, City Jet Ski and Harry Potter Lab polybags in-store.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Pass. The deal is too weak. It may be a not-so-bad news for CARs fans who want to collect 8679 Tokyo International Circuit, which is TRUs exclusive.
Last edited by legohunter on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:19 pm

autobrick wrote: Somewhat off topic, but is it just me or are we starting to see a lot more polybags in Canada? The free sub one is new to Canada, and I've seen the Creator Lighthouse, City Jet Ski and Harry Potter Lab polybags in-store.
Yes, stores have carried more polybags. Few months ago, I found 30010 Fire Chief, 30012 Microlight, 30051 X-wing Fighter, and 30025 Clown Fish at local retailer. However, so far, I haven't seen those polybags you had mentioned. Usually, east coast gets the stock earlier.

Toronadian
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Toronadian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:43 am

No freaking way. When did this sale even get online? It's 530 am est (around the time previous sales went online) and the unimog is out of stock. Freaking bull crap.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:11 am

Indeed - that's very disappointing... did anyone see the Unimog in stores or is it only online? But if it's in stores it will likely be gone first thing this morning...

Toronadian
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Toronadian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:56 am

Called Toysrus' hotline and made a complaint about their practices of having items go out of stock RIGHT before the sale even activates.

What I mean is this. So for example, this sale begins October 7th but on the website, things don't automatically change in price right at 12am, but rather around usually like 4-6am EST. MANY times (not all, but VERY often), the most popular and expensive sets of the particular theme they are selling goes "out of stock" BEFORE the prices online have been changed to sale price. So when everything of the on-sale theme still hasn't been changed to the sale price (before the sale gets activated online), those popular & expensive sets go out of stock. When the sale ends though, often within a day or 2 somehow they're right back in-stock. There are exceptions though sometimes, for example the Tower Bridge seems to stay in-stock if its a Creator theme sale; probably not as popular due to the price of that thing so they don't really need to mess around with any shenanigans

I made 2 calls (had to make a second one since any escalation I could get instead of just talking with random CSRs, I had to call after 9EST), both times they tried to tell me perhaps because these items are in such high demand they're being picked up at the "exceptional" prices when they're on sale. I keep trying to mention to them they're going out-of-stock BEFORE the prices have even been lowered, like they're going in stock hours before a sale when they're still at FULL-price. When I got my call to someone who could get this escalated, they said the same thing but after he said he would make a note to give me a call whenever the Unimog comes back in-stock so that I could get it for the sale-price.

Hearing that, it's great and all but makes me wish I made calls that could be escalated when the Creator theme went on sale in the past, about the modular houses having the same thing happen. I mean I like the Unimog and it's cool, but on my personal "priority" list, it's lower than stuff like Grand Emporium and Pet Shop etc. Maybe I should try and make the same fuss to Toysrus' hotline when the Creator sets go on sale in the future. Oh well, at least the chance to get the Unimog at the price isn't bad.

Here's to hoping the Creator theme goes on sale during Bricktober or some time soon, with the modular houses at least being in-stock when prices actually change (even if they're gonna be in limited numbers).

Muntz
I'm New !

Post by Muntz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Don't hate me. :) ToysRus.ca has a price protection policy. The big sets always go out of stock just before the sale starts. What I've started to do (and maybe I'm part of the problem) is to purchase the sets on the Thursday evening and call in after 9am on Friday to get price protection.

I managed to get the Grand Emporium and the Emerald Night earlier in the summer and now the Unimog using this method. I do feel like I'm kind of cheating; but, I got tired of watching the big items I'm after go out of stock just before the sale goes live.

As a bonus on the Unimog, for some reason TRU.ca has the regular price as $229.99 instead of $249.99 like on S@H so it is actually just a bit over 25% off during this sale.

BlacktronManic
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by BlacktronManic » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:56 pm

QuagsireQing wrote: It's a cryin' shame that Toys 'R' Us doesn't carry Ultimate Build Mater; now would've been the perfect time to grab the original Cars duo.
I just happened to be in the store on Saturday and picked up Ultimate Build McQueen and was hoping to have found Mater too, but have now found out that TRU does not carry this set. It really sucks as it would have been perfect like you said to have the duo. And also my son would have loved having the two as they are his favourites.

The nice thing was that the Bricktober Minifig I received with my purchase was the Ninja Princess. I was quite pleased with getting this instead of the medieval forest minifig.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:49 am

BlacktronManic wrote:
QuagsireQing wrote: It's a cryin' shame that Toys 'R' Us doesn't carry Ultimate Build Mater; now would've been the perfect time to grab the original Cars duo.
I just happened to be in the store on Saturday and picked up Ultimate Build McQueen and was hoping to have found Mater too, but have now found out that TRU does not carry this set. It really sucks as it would have been perfect like you said to have the duo. And also my son would have loved having the two as they are his favourites.

The nice thing was that the Bricktober Minifig I received with my purchase was the Ninja Princess. I was quite pleased with getting this instead of the medieval forest minifig.
WalMart has the Ultimate Build Mater in stock (at least they have plenty in the stores here in Ontario). You can simply take the ToysRUs flyer that states that all LEGO Cars II are 30% off. Wal Mart will then match it... worked for me! This should also work elsewhere in Canada!

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:18 am

Most of the stores in my area (Zellers, Walmart, TRU) will not match blanket sales like that. They will only price match exact items that show a sale price. So since Ultimate Build Mater is not available at TRU, it wouldn't be in the flyer, and Walmart would not give the price match. I'm glad it worked for you though.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:20 am

hatcher wrote:Most of the stores in my area (Zellers, Walmart, TRU) will not match blanket sales like that. They will only price match exact items that show a sale price. So since Ultimate Build Mater is not available at TRU, it wouldn't be in the flyer, and Walmart would not give the price match. I'm glad it worked for you though.
That's what happened to me. I thought that if anybody could be fooled, it would be Walmart with its clueless employees. In the end, it was their complete ineptitude that did me in, though, as they not only wouldn't give me 30% off Mater, but wouldn't match any sets except the two example sets pictured in the Toys 'R' Us flyer. McQueen and Mater at fair prices continue to elude me.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:23 am

Ultimate Build Mater has been on clearance in quite a few Wal-Marts in BC for $20. They were $20 first at the New Westminister store. Shortly a few weeks later, the Burnaby Wal-Mart had them for $20 and the Toyko Pit Stop set for $10. I was there last week and the Burnaby Wal-Mart still has some left.

Both stores are having renovation which I presume are going to be converted into those Grocery Super Centers.

QuagsireQing
Knight
Knight

Post by QuagsireQing » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Ice wrote:Ultimate Build Mater has been on clearance in quite a few Wal-Marts in BC for $20. They were $20 first at the New Westminister store. Shortly a few weeks later, the Burnaby Wal-Mart had them for $20 and the Toyko Pit Stop set for $10. I was there last week and the Burnaby Wal-Mart still has some left.

Both stores are having renovation which I presume are going to be converted into those Grocery Super Centers.
Not around here, they aren't. One store was sold out, the other still had them for $40. :down: