[REVIEW] 3187 LEGO Friends - Butterfly Beauty Shop

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 6

atmail35
Duke
Duke

[REVIEW] 3187 LEGO Friends - Butterfly Beauty Shop

Post by atmail35 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Indexed

Set Name: LEGO Friends Butterfly Beauty Shop
Set Number: 3187
Year: 2012
Ages: 6-12
MSRP: $24.99 USD $29.99 CA
Pieces: 221
Number of Minidolls: 2
Price per Piece: $0.1131 USD $0.1357 CA

Description on LEGO.com
Get primped and pretty at the Butterfly Beauty Shop!
It’s a busy day of beauty fun down at the Butterfly Beauty Shop! Emma loves this posh little salon at the center of Heartlake City! Shop for lipstick, makeup and hair accessories! Emma and all of her friends will look fabulous with bows, sunglasses, a hairbrush, mirror, lipsticks and new hair styles. Get the girls ready for any event with the salon where you can rearrange the interior! Includes Emma and Sarah mini-doll figures.
• Includes 2 mini-doll figures: Emma and Sarah
• Features fountain, bench and salon furniture
• Accessories include a money brick, hair elements, lipsticks, a purse, bows, sunglasses, a hair dryer, hairbrush and a mirror
• Give all of the LEGO® Friends makeovers
• Gossip out on the bench by the scenic fountain!
• Shop for makeup and hair accessories!
• Pay with the money brick!
• LEGO Friends pieces are fully compatible with all LEGO bricks
• Collect all of the LEGO Friends sets for a whole world of LEGO Friends fun!
• LEGO mini-dolls are LEGO minifigures made especially for the world of LEGO Friends with thousands of customizable hair and fashion combinations
• Measures over 4” (12cm) tall, 6” (16cm) wide and 6” (16cm) long

The Box
The front shows the front of the beauty shop with Sarah, the shop owner and Emma outside. Sarah is trying to convince Emma to get a make-over.

The back is detailed and shows many of the best parts. It shows the components of the minidoll, the fact that the set is divided into sub-models. The detail of the accessories is nice and the functionality of the interior is shown as well.

The Contents
There are two bags. Each main bag has a smaller bag of parts. The minidoll legs and torso are individually bagged. The yellow accessories are also bagged together.

You receive one sticker sheet of shiny metallic stickers.

The instruction booklet shows a “pick list” of parts for each page.

The Build
We enjoyed the build. There are some nice features. The arched/covered doorway is nice. Although there is no door, so Heartlake City must be very safe! The fountain and bench add some interest to the outside as well.

The mirror and chair swivel, as does the makeup stand with mirror which is shown outside the salon.

The window with the lipstick display is great.

You get a lot of hair accessories (this is just a sampling of the “bows”).

You get two minidolls, Sarah (only available in this set) and Emma

Final thoughts
I love this set. The art deco look of the shop is really fun. The teal is a really nice color with the purple and pink.

I think it is funny you only get one $ brick. A make over is pretty expensive at $100 as they cannot make any change!

The teal colored trough of hair accessories in the middle of the store is a bit strange, but at least it keeps everything together.

The cash register is quite nice with a printed keyboard, the monitor is a sticker though.

There is a wig stand in the window and a second hair style for Emma.

Pros
Lots of neat elements including, hair dryer, hand mirror, brush, purse (my favorite), lipsticks (8 of them).
The new colors of pink, teal, and purple are great.
My daughter has played with this particular set a lot. All the Friends have had a makeover! :-D

Cons
The metallic stickers are difficult to apply and not very forgiving if you put them on crooked.
There are too many stickers! I’m guessing because of the metallic look, these cannot be printed pieces. It is disappointing that the only printed element is the keyboard for the cashier station.
The hair bows are very small and likely will get lost.
The accessories are all one color, it would have been nice if they were a few different colors. Although, I guess, I can understand the difficulty with molding them in different colors.

Ratings
Build: 5/5
Pieces: 5/5
Price: 4/5
Play Features: 5/5
Overall: 4.5/5

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: [REVIEW] 3187 LEGO Friends - Butterfly Beauty Shop

Post by unclephn » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Despite the somewhat small size of this set, I'm thoroughly impressed by the amount of play features there are! The cash register, the makeup chair and mirror, and the window displays all look great. Even the bench and fountain outside are a nice touch! I'm starting to think that the City sets are almost lacking in detail in comparison to the Friends sets!

Thanks for the awesome review, atmail! Nice photos, too!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:35 pm

I'm glad that folks are reading these and are enjoying the reviews! I am working on a review of the Cafe set next.

One downside of the bench, that we discovered today, is that it is very hard for two girls to sit on the bench together, it is a bit narrow. I agree, this set is fairly small, but it has some great features!

Thanks for looking!

soulless_minion
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by soulless_minion » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:22 pm

A great and detailed review with lovely pictures, looking forward the the Cafe review

Athos
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Athos » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:51 pm

Do the bows fit in the turbans?

Steve

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Athos wrote:Do the bows fit in the turbans?
Yes they do.

RainingBoroSI02
Peasant
Peasant

Post by RainingBoroSI02 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:46 am

I really enjoyed this review. It was very thorough and informative. The pictures were great! Nice work! I have been looking at Olivia's House. It would be very interested to see a review of that in this detail. Would that be a possibility in the future?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:19 pm

RainingBoroSI02 wrote:I really enjoyed this review. It was very thorough and informative. The pictures were great! Nice work! I have been looking at Olivia's House. It would be very interested to see a review of that in this detail. Would that be a possibility in the future?
Thank you for the kind words. I do have Olivia's House, but it is for my daughter's birthday, which isn't for a few months. If no one else reviews it before then, I'd be happy to post a review, but it will won't be until May!

doodlebird
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by doodlebird » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 pm

RainingBoroSI02 wrote:I really enjoyed this review. It was very thorough and informative. The pictures were great! Nice work! I have been looking at Olivia's House. It would be very interested to see a review of that in this detail. Would that be a possibility in the future?
for Olivia's House,
check out this review on Eurobricks. it's one of the best reviews of any set in my very limited memory.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=64270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sinfanti
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Sinfanti » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:13 pm

atmail35 wrote:I do have Olivia's House, but it is for my daughter's birthday, which isn't for a few months. If no one else reviews it before then, I'd be happy to post a review, but it will won't be until May!
I also have one waiting for my daughter's birthday, but it's in July. So I guess you'll beat me to it.

Good review.

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:17 pm

nice pics on this review hoping to find this at a reasonable price on the aftermarket for my girlfriend wish me luck