[REVIEW] 6865 Captain America's Avenging Cycle

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
45%
Average
55%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 11

UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

[REVIEW] 6865 Captain America's Avenging Cycle

Post by UnknownUser » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Indexed

Set #: 6865
Name: Captain America's Avenging Cycle
Price: $12.99
Piece count: 72
Minifig count: 3

Interestingly the boxes for this wave seem to be red, compared to the blue that was used in the DC super hero sets. Maybe the Marvel license has something to do with it. Anyways, the front of the box is literally packed with action, with smoke and fires everywhere (on what looks like a bridge) while the Cap and his adversaries fight it out. I like how he is throwing his shield and is also not looking forward at the same time :lol:

The back of the box seems to be very full of action as well, all made possible with the "VREEEEE" text. Apparently flinging minifigs off a moving motorcycle counts as a play feature.

Nothing special here...

DSS. This one isn't too bad (except the motorcycle ones). Moving along...

Instruction booklet. It comes at 27 pages and the steps go by rather quick. And by that, you don't apply 1 brick per step. Thor, Loki and Captain America appear every now and then on the top right corners of the pages.

There's no separate comic book; the comic itself is located towards the end of the instructions. In case anyone's interested: page 1/page 2

The piece count for this set seems rather low (72) but many of them are rather good for MOCing. Aside from the dark tan slopes and trans-purple 1x1 cones there are these lovely gold pieces:

Captain America's shield looks great. Although a bit small it captures the shape well.

But why would one buy this set? Why, just for these:

The Cap himself looks great, although I question the color used for his flesh color. It looks slightly off from the usual flesh color LEGO has always used for licensed figs. Otherwise he is accurate to his movie version, down to his torso print. Front/Back

I don't know what are the other two minfigs are supposed to represent, but I heard they are some kind of alien race (Skrulls?). Maybe when the movie comes out we'll know. Most people probably don't like these because of the prints and weird colors, but I do. I like how they have completely different prints and one of them has a dark gray torso and legs. 1)front/back 2)front/back

The aliens also get a brick-built gun (not pictured) which looks rather oversized and is hard to position correctly like the example shown on the box art. Looks neat though.

Captain America's motorcycle build is done in a few steps. Already you'll get the feel how underwhelming the build is. (Do note that I did not apply stickers during the build.)

So is this turret. The gold pieces prevent it from looking monotonous though.

The alien glider is much more substantial, but not by alot. The gold blade pieces on the sides give the wings nice detail (even without the stickers) which is neat. Without stickers, it looks rather dull.

The completed set:
Like I said about the glider, Cap's motorcycle looks really dull without stickers. Yet I refuse to apply them :-| The shield is placed on the 1x2 plate w/ clip (which I am somewhat ambivalent towards). Also, the "skin" is ginormous.

The problem with the alien glider is that it can't stand up on its own. Thanks to the flick-fire at the bottom you can't even place a support at the bottom. Though one you get over it the glider looks solid and swooshable.

So how does this set sum up?

Pros
-Minifigs are awesome (especially the aliens)
-cool pieces (especially the gold bits)
-stickers add to the set

Cons
-alien glider can't stand up on its own
-very lackluster build
-expensive for what you get

I'm torn. Although I liked the set for the pieces and figs, the lackluster content makes this set a hard sell, especially at $13. I bought this for $5 thanks to the forum and that price sounds more about right for a set this size, but I guess the minifigs jack up the price. I give this a 7/10.

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Re: [REVIEW] 6865 Captain America's Avenging Cycle

Post by nick91884 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:34 pm

I applied the stickers to my avenging cycle, I figured it looked better that way and Its not really a versatile piece that I was worried about. This set really is mostly for the minifigs. Good review!
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

AussieLEGOLover
Peasant
Peasant

Post by AussieLEGOLover » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:27 am

Great review! Thanks for the pics and comments...

I've got a few on order...here in the land of expensive LEGO prices (Australia), that set is $22.99, so I can't wait to only have to pay $14 for it!

themarshall
Peasant
Peasant

Post by themarshall » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:19 am

I must have missed how you pick it up for $5, is that still available?

Thanks for the review, my son has been asking for this one and it looks like I'll end up getting it for him, just a matter of trying to get it for a reasonable price.

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 pm

themarshall wrote:I must have missed how you pick it up for $5, is that still available?

Thanks for the review, my son has been asking for this one and it looks like I'll end up getting it for him, just a matter of trying to get it for a reasonable price.
The way to get it $5 is passed, it was a glitch in toys r us coupon that basically gave $10 off up to 3 different items as long as the 3 added up to $50 or more (it was supposed to be $10 off $50 but the glitch gave $10 off each item making it $30 off a purchase of $50 or more.) Many people picked up the 3 lower priced LEGO marvel sets for a total of around $28, $11.99 for 6866 $11.99 for 6867 and $4.99 for 6865.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln