[REVIEW]: 3065 Olivia's Tree House

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 4

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW]: 3065 Olivia's Tree House

Post by hatcher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 am

Set Name:Olivia's Tree House
Set Number: 3065
Theme: Lego Friends
Year: 2012
Pieces: 191
Minifigures: 1
MSRP: $24.99 (CDN) $19.99 (USD)

Description from Shop@Home:
Explore nature with the LEGO® Friends in Olivia’s Tree House!

Take the LEGO® Friends fun to the treetops with Olivia’s Tree House! All of the friends love meeting in this treetop retreat to play games and camp out under the stars! Climb the folding ladders to watch the ladybugs, catch butterflies and feed the cat. Watch the ocean waves or wish on stars through the telescope! Stash secret treasures in the hidden compartment and decorate the whole fort with wildflowers! Includes Olivia mini-doll figure.

Includes Olivia mini-doll figure
Features the tree house pet cat Maxie, 4 ladybugs, a bird Goldie with birdhouse, 4 butterflies, hidden compartment and folding ladders
Accessories include telescope, milk carton, food dish, fish and flower pack
Climb the ladders to the treetop then fold them up!
Meet up with all of the LEGO® Friends for treetop sleepovers and star gazing!
Feed the cat with a fish, milk carton and dishes!
Decorate Olivia’s Tree House with butterflies and wildflowers!
Rebuild and create new places to play!
LEGO Friends pieces are fully compatible with all LEGO bricks
Collect all of the LEGO Friends sets for a whole world of LEGO Friends fun!
LEGO mini-dolls are LEGO minifigures made especially for the world of LEGO Friends with thousands of customizable hair and fashion combinations
Measures over 5” (15cm) tall, 4” (12cm) wide and 4” (12cm) long
Birdhouse measures over 3” (8cm) tall, 1” (3cm) wide and 1” (4cm) long

link: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Olivia-s-Tre ... id=1517903

A few months ago I took my daughter into a toy store. We stopped in front of the Friends display. I had already bought her a bunch of the smaller Friends sets but was saving to give them to her for Christmas. I asked her to pick out the set that she wanted the most if she could have anyone that she wanted. I expected her to pick Olivia's house, or one of the other large sets. Instead she pointed right at Olivia's Tree House. Well, she got herself a gift card for her birthday, and used it to get the Tree House. She agreed to let me review it for you here.

First we have a picture of the front of the box. In addition to the tree house, you get a bird house and a cat bed.
IMG_0242.JPG
The back of the box shows some of Olivia's friends and their associated sets at the bottom and some of the features of the set.
IMG_0243.JPG
Inside the box, we have 2 numbered bags, a green base plate, and the instruction manual. There are no stickers.
IMG_0244.JPG
The cover of the instruction book (pretty much the same as the box)
IMG_0245.JPG
And a random page from the instruction book. Note the light purple background shade. The parts required are listed at the top to expedite building.
IMG_0246.JPG
The contents of bag #1. In this bag you get Olivia, the parts to make the cat box and the base of the tree house. Some pink and light blue pieces.
IMG_0247.JPG
And here is Olivia. This version has different pants (skirt?) then the Olivia you get with the house, but the top appears to be the same. Friends mini figures are quite different from standard mini figures. They a bit taller, and the arms and legs work differently. The back of the legs do not have holes in them so the figures can't sit down and click into place. Also, the legs do not move independently. I believe the heads and hair pieces are interchangeable with standard mini figures.
IMG_0248.JPG
And from the back. I quite like the hair.
IMG_0249.JPG
Here is the cat in his cat box (sorry its a bit blurry). Nice detail on the cat.
IMG_0251.JPG
On to the build. Here is the tree at an early stage of construction. You can see that there is a hiding place at the base. I'm not sure why a teenage girl (how old are the Friends supposed to be anyway?) would have a box of jewels hiding at the base of her tree house but whatever, its a nice little hiding spot.
IMG_0252.JPG
And the tree house at the end of bag #1. At this point you can see the supports for the tree house are in place, as it the ladder to get to it.
IMG_0253.JPG
The contents of bag #2. We see lots of parts in new colours, such as pink and light purple. Also, some interesting new parts that I have never seen before
IMG_0254.JPG
Here we see some of those new parts. We get a whole bunch of red butterflies, red ladybugs, and three different types of flowers to decorate the tree house with. Also in this shot is the bird.
IMG_0255.JPG
The lower level of the tree house is complete. I love how they are using skeleton legs for other purposes. Here as the stand for a telescope.
IMG_0256.JPG
The tree house is now complete, minus the flowers, butterflies and ladybugs.
IMG_0257.JPG
And now they are on. They do give the tree house an added pop.
IMG_0258.JPG
The birdhouse. A nice little build that looks quite good when finished. I like the fact that it is not attached to the base, so you can put it where ever you like.
IMG_0259.JPG
Spare parts. Mostly some flowers and cheese slopes.
IMG_0260.JPG
And the completed set with Olivia. My son sat and watched my daughter build this set. He was so fascinated and interested that I asked him if he like this set. He said he loved it and wanted one of his own. I looked over the parts list and told him that I could probably scrounge up all the parts from my spare LEGO to build him his own. He said that they had to be in "boy colours" though. I laughed and was in fact able to recreate the entire tree house (minus the birdhouse, cat box and flowers/butterflies/lady bugs) in "boy" colours for him. He was so happy.
IMG_0261.JPG
Final thoughts. The tree house itself is a great build, and made with mostly common parts. I love the brick built ladder they came up with using cheese slopes to climb up to the crows nest. Based on my sons reaction to it, boys as well as girls could find this set appealing. I was surprised that there was only 1 figure in it. What fun is a tree house without friends? In fact, the first thing my daughter did was go grab some of her other Friends to play in the tree house. The price isn't too bad, even for Canadian's, and there are some nice pieces. I would definitely recommend getting this set for your Friend's fanatics.

Ratings:

Minifigures 4/5 (Only because there should have been a second one.)
Parts 4.5/5
Play Value 5/5
Price 4/5 (Canadian pricing) 4.5/5 (American)

Overall score 4.5/5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

legohunter
Count
Count

Re: [REVIEW]: 3065 Olivia's Tree House

Post by legohunter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:31 pm

The tree house looks good, it caught my attention when I saw it at the store. The price was not too bad, and it was in a good price range for kid classmates' birthday gift.

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW]: 3065 Olivia's Tree House

Post by yeti79 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:22 pm

This is an excellent set and the two critters you get with it is great. I got one for my niece and girlfriend. They are both happy girls lol