TRU Friends Event March 23rd

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

TRU Friends Event March 23rd

Post by melsig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:20 am

I could have sworn I saw a post about this a couple weeks ago, but I can't find it anywhere now. Sorry if this is a duplicate topic. TRU has announced a Friends build event for 3/23 from 12-2. It says "Build a LEGO Friends wishing well". No photos of the build, though.

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?c ... Id=4311963

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: TRU Friends Event March 23rd

Post by atmail35 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks for posting it, sadly my daughter has another activity to attend. I wonder if I could go and take one home for her, in the past there is always low attendance at our TRU. I might try it.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:18 am

PS, I moved this to the Retailer thread to go along with other in-store builds/take homes.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:36 am

Oh, sorry, I looked around but wasn't sure where to put it!

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 am

What is the youngest reasonable age for these and the lego store events? My son is nearly 2 and I figured I would start taking him when he's 3 or so.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:34 pm

melsig wrote:Oh, sorry, I looked around but wasn't sure where to put it!
No problem, I wasn't sure at first either until I really thought about it.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm

condor wrote:What is the youngest reasonable age for these and the lego store events? My son is nearly 2 and I figured I would start taking him when he's 3 or so.
I think both the TRU and LEGO Store Mini Model Build say 5 and up. That being said, and YMMV, they may give the items to 3+, I think 2 is pushing it since the kids still put stuff in their mouths and it is not really intended for that age group, if you know what I mean.

There is a thread about the MMB and how it is run viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3080&p=24118&hilit=model#p24118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Which store in MA do you go to? I've seen them at Braintree give them to 3 year olds and maybe younger, but most are with an older sibling.

darbee
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darbee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:04 pm

I took my son to the TRU build in October for Halloween when he was 3. Just had to help him get the items, staff didn't seem to mind.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 pm

atmail35 wrote:
condor wrote:What is the youngest reasonable age for these and the lego store events? My son is nearly 2 and I figured I would start taking him when he's 3 or so.
I think both the TRU and LEGO Store Mini Model Build say 5 and up. That being said, and YMMV, they may give the items to 3+, I think 2 is pushing it since the kids still put stuff in their mouths and it is not really intended for that age group, if you know what I mean.

There is a thread about the MMB and how it is run viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3080&p=24118&hilit=model#p24118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Which store in MA do you go to? I've seen them at Braintree give them to 3 year olds and maybe younger, but most are with an older sibling.
I usually go to the Burlington or the Peabody store, but yeah, I figured 2 was too young :-) . Although I do let my son play with my construct a buzz, with close supervision of course, and surprisingly he is pretty gentle with it.

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:22 pm

There is a picture in the weekly TRU ad. green 6x4 base plate w/ 8 white 1/4 circle pieces making 'well'. 4 Light blue cyclinder pieces make the posts for the roof to sit on. (Each post sits on a green flat piece with the circle in the middle...) Roof looks like 2x4 dark purple flat piece with 4 small pink wedges making the roof line. two pink roses with green bush bases finish it out...

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 am

I just got a TRU email announcing it, with a bigger picture of the build. It's cute, some nice pieces.
Screen Shot 2013-03-22 at 12.10.03 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:47 am

We just left the event, in addition to the well, my daughter got a poster and a Friends key chain (in a sealed bag, like the mini turtle/squirrel sets) that has a dog on it. No one there when we arrived, more kids as we left.

I'm glad my daughter's activity got moved. I can post pics later if people want.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Here are the pics. I think I'll have the poster laminated at staples for a cheap playmat (wished I had thought to ask for a couple of them.

Poster/Playmat:
2013-03-23 LEGO Friends Wishing Well 001.JPG
Well and Keychain. This well has an extra white layer and an extra flower. The kids were told they could modify it if they wanted.
2013-03-23 LEGO Friends Wishing Well 002.JPG
Instructions, sorry the pic isn't great, too lazy to scan. ;-) And to be honest, you don't really need instructions to build it.
2013-03-23 LEGO Friends Wishing Well 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Excellent idea about laminating the playmat... I will be headed out to do that this week...

Cementups
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Cementups » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:29 pm

I surprised my daughter by taking her out to TRU and letting her do this. She was quite surprised and loved it. The well is quite simple but if she can have more Legos then she is happy.

I also may make a run to Staples and have it laminated for her to use as a playmat.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:44 am

Huh... we didn't get the playmat, but we did get the well and keychain/sticker/notepad baggie.

We got there at about 10 to 1. There was a longish table set up with a purple plastic tablecloth and individual boxes with the different pieces. They had written the quantity of each piece needed on the box, but the girl running he table was also pre-packing some to hand out. My daughter opted to go box-by-box filling the ziplock baggie. There was an open space at the end of the table for building the well, and she did so.

We walked around the store for a bit and I went back at about 1:30 and asked the girl running the table what they do with the leftovers. She said "what you want more?" and she handed me two more that she had pre-packed. We then went to the Wendy's in the same parking lot and popped back in at 2pm. She was still packing up some more baggies. She said, "so, how much do you want" I said "How about all of it?" (half joking) as she handed me three more pre-packed bags. She said "well, we wanted to have some to hand out at the registers" and I said "oh, sure, that makes sense - then keep these that you've already filled" and handed them back. She then filled another bag with handfuls of pieces and handed it to me. All in all we ended up with three full wells and another bag of assorted pieces - definitely enough to build two more and a smattering of others - that my daughter and I divvied up evenly (she got any odd leftovers). All in all a nice day ;-)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:14 am

I would have loved free wells, those are always useful builds and a dog keychain I'd so use.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:23 am

Wow! The keychain is really nice. Anyone grab an extra?

Pabear33
I'm New !

Post by Pabear33 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 am

I have extra Easter egg from Canada. Does anyone want to trade my eggs for friends wishing well and placemat plus keychain? I'm not sure if I am allowed to post trade here or not? Thank you for your time to read this message.

My daughter is a big time friends collectors and would love to get those three items.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 pm

We finally opened the keychain pack. It actually has the keychain, a leaflet (only 1/2 of the leaflet is pictured), a sticker, and a notepad:
2013-03-24 LEGO Friends Keychain 002.JPG
The sticker is pretty durable, a plastic material vs paper. I am going to get a binder with plastic sleeves for our Friends sets and maybe put this on the front.

Here is a close up of the keychain. I tried convincing my daughter to let me have it, no dice though ;-)
2013-03-24 LEGO Friends Keychain 003.JPG
There was a sign at the event to text to give feedback, I'm going to send the feedback as I hope LEGO and TRU continue to do these.

In regards to Staples and laminating, several years ago I had poster laminated for my daughter and it was only a few dollars. I hope it is still the same.