[REVIEW]: 79100 Kraang Lab Escape

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
No votes
Average
80%
Poor
20%

Total votes: 5

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW]: 79100 Kraang Lab Escape

Post by hatcher » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Set Name:Kraang Lab Escape
Set Number: 79100
Theme: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Year: 2012
Pieces: 90
Minifigures: 3
MSRP: $17.99 (CDN) $14.99 (USD)

The smallest of the Ninja Turtles sets, Kraang Lab Escape seems like a lot of price, for a little bit of Lego. Is it worth the price? Let's take a closer look.

Description from Shop@Home:
Give the villains the slip with a hot slice of turtle power! The Kraang has Michelangelo locked tight in a laser-shield prison inside his lab. Use Michelangelo's leftover pizza to turn a sticky situation into a slick escape! Slide the pizza through the prison bars to make the Foot Soldier slip and fall! Then activate the explosion function on Michelangelo's cage to escape! Once he's free, battle The Kraang in his awesome mech walker with dual laser flick missiles. Be ready for a wild ride through the city sewers when The Kraang detaches the mech walker's legs to create a flying escape pod! Don't let him get away!

• Includes 3 minifigures: Michelangelo, Foot Soldier and 1 character : The Kraang
• Features a laser shield prison with explosion function, The Kraang's mech walker and pizza
• Includes 4 weapons: nunchucks, mace and dual flick missiles
• Blast and jump out of the laser-shield prison with the explosion function!
• Fire the mech walker's flick missiles!
• Open the mech walker's cockpit!
• Cell measures over 2" (6cm) high, 1" (3cm) wide and 2" (5cm) long
• Walker measures over 2" (6cm) high, 3" (9cm) wide and 3" (9cm) long

link: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Kraang-Lab-Escape-79100

So here's the front of the box. As you can see, you get Michelangelo, the Kraang and a Foot Soldier. I don't know if the Kraang counts as a minifigure or not, but whatever. This set has one of the worst parts per piece ratios in the entire line, but it does come with the Kraang (the only way to get him in his brain only form) and Michelango (only available in this set and the very expensive Shellraiser set) and it has that really nice dome piece.
IMG_0704.JPG
And back of the box shows some of the play features. The Kraang's walker has flick-fire missiles and seperates from the walker part into a flying section, and if you press the lever on the cell, it launches part of it into the air to help Michelangelo escape.
IMG_0705.JPG
Inside the box, we get 2 unnumbered bags and a single instruction book. NO stickers (yeah!) If you've read my reviews before, I generally follow the same pattern, so you know what comes next.
IMG_0706.JPG
Yep, you guessed it, the cover of the instruction book:
IMG_0707.JPG
Followed by a smple page from the instructions. This is a small set, and very easy to put together, so the steps do not list the parts needed for each step.
IMG_0708.JPG
And now the parts. There are some nice pieces in this set, most notably the clear dome and the round printed 1x1 tiles that are used as the controls for the Kraang walker (you even get an extra one).
IMG_0709.JPG
Now, the main reason for buying this set, the minifigures. As mentioned, you get (from the left) Michelangelo, Foot Soldier, and the Kraang (sitting on some bricks to raise him up). Michelangelo has a rather goofy look on his face, pretty odd for someone who has been captured. The Kraang has a plain pink head stud inside him, which is pretty unusual.
IMG_0711.JPG
And from the back. The Foot Soldier has a very nice torso print.
IMG_0712.JPG
And Michelangelo alone with Shell removed to show the back printing on his torso. I really like the shell pieces in the TMNT line.
IMG_0710.JPG
Now, the build. First up, is the Kraang's walker. Here it is early on. I love that it comes with so many of those new bracket pieces. How I would have loved to have some of those a few years ago when MOCing.
IMG_0713.JPG
The top half is nearly complete. You get a good view of the round printed tiles here. Very nice pieces.
IMG_0714.JPG
And the top section complete, with Kraang inside.
IMG_0715.JPG
And the bottom half of the walker. I was impressed with how they designed this section. It attached upside down to the other half. Pretty cool.
IMG_0716.JPG
And the completed walker. For a small set, this part of the build turned out really nice. It works well.
IMG_0717.JPG
The second half of the build is the containment cell for Michelangelo. It features a control panel, a place to hold his weapon while he's being held, and you can see at the back the mechanism for launching him while escaping.
IMG_0718.JPG
And the completed holding cell (with pizza and spare parts to the side)l. Its not much, but it does the job. The trans-green antenaes and the clear half cylindar are worth getting at the very least (as is the pizza).
IMG_0719.JPG
And the entire set. Its a pretty tight fit in there for Michelangelo, and he looks entirely too happy for someone in his predicament, but otherwise, not bad.
IMG_0720.JPG
Final thoughts. This set is as I said, probably the worst price per piece set in the theme. Now, it does have some parts that are probably more expensive to produce (the clear dome, the cylinder, the Kraang, the turtle shell) etc, but still. The only reason I ended up with it was it was on sale, and by ordering a bunch of stuff online in multiple orders and taking advantage of a $5 off discount per order, I ended up getting it basically for nothing. If you are planning on getting the Shellraiser set, you only need this if you want the Kraang. It does have some good play features, but it not a necessary set unless you plan on skipping the Shellraiser.

Ratings:
Minifigures 5/5
Parts 3/5
Play Features 3/5
Price 1/5

Overall rating 3/5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Ras
I'm New !

Re: [REVIEW]: 79100 Kraang Lab Escape

Post by Ras » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:56 am

Nice review, My kids and I like the kraang and my kids actually like playing with this set a lot considering its a small one.