Creator Expert 10235 Winter Village Market

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

Creator Expert 10235 Winter Village Market

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 pm

The new LEGO 10235 Winter Village Market set will officially be unveiled at BrickFête in Toronto tomorrow (July 13th at 7:30 PM EST/ July 14th 12:30 AM GMT).

Toys N Bricks will have the press release along with the images posted on the front page after the times listed above.
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Re: Creator Expert 10235 Winter Village Market

Post by atmail35 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:48 pm

I just saw some pictures on Facebook, I think the carousel is really cute.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:24 pm

I guess this is good news for people who are Bricklinking the Market Street. Good job on LEGO's part for listening to fan input and actually taking action.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:28 pm

It's nice, but doesn't look like a market and doesn't look like a $100 set. To me it looks like a winter fair.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm

It looks great.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Doubledbrick
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Doubledbrick » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm

I agree I think it looks great.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:It's nice, but doesn't look like a market and doesn't look like a $100 set. To me it looks like a winter fair.
Yes, I agree. Looks really good but seems a little too small to be called a $100 set. Doesn't come with much.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Wow. My kids are going really want this set... so much playability!

And hiding the carousel crank in the little toy shack is quite clever. And yes, its good to see the dark blue bricks and arches come back. Cant wait to build this!

auralgami
Peasant
Peasant

Post by auralgami » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Legobrandon wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:It's nice, but doesn't look like a market and doesn't look like a $100 set. To me it looks like a winter fair.
Yes, I agree. Looks really good but seems a little too small to be called a $100 set. Doesn't come with much.
It looks small but the piece count is high. 1261 pieces is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm kind of disappointed that it's not a building and it's more like a collection of vignettes. That said, it seems to be very well detailed. I'll be getting it to add to my winter stuff, and I'll be glad it doesn't cost more.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:52 pm

My initial reaction was that of disappointment in the fact that it's more a glorified accessory pack than a single building, but then I realized - we have four single buildings already, this is a good way to augment the collection as a whole without getting stale.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Got to play with the the carousel at Brickfete. It was fun cranking it around and around.

For the price, you also get 9 minifigs.

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by harrelmusic » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:28 pm

It doesn't look like a market we're used to here, but looks a lot like these, although quite a bit smaller. There's even one with a carousel:

https://www.google.com/search?q=christk ... 68&bih=928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:46 pm

The carousel movement is cool, reminds me about the winter market in köln, can't wait to get this one.... !!!! Perhaps will need more than one

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:10 am

I'm going to pick this one up & give it to my niece & nephew for Christmas. Moving LEGO parts are always a big hit.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:42 am

vynsane wrote:My initial reaction was that of disappointment in the fact that it's more a glorified accessory pack than a single building, but then I realized - we have four single buildings already, this is a good way to augment the collection as a whole without getting stale.
That's a great point you made, we have enough buildings this brings all the past few buildings together and a few of these sets could easily build into a larger carousel, isn't that great for folks who missed the original carousel set, this set could easily blend with the current modulars, Thanks Estrid & TLC

gschubert
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by gschubert » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:27 pm

The secondary market prices on retired winter village sets are currently two or three times the original MSRP ... within a year of production! I wonder if this influenced the MSRP for this set or if the price is determined by a formula which takes into account the number of parts, the number of minifigs and whether the set is being made under a license, ex. Star Wars or LoTR.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:32 am

gschubert wrote:The secondary market prices on retired winter village sets are currently two or three times the original MSRP ... within a year of production! I wonder if this influenced the MSRP for this set or if the price is determined by a formula which takes into account the number of parts, the number of minifigs and whether the set is being made under a license, ex. Star Wars or LoTR.
We've touched upon this before in the topic "The Price of LEGO" - but it's more than just the simple count of pieces. Obviously, yes, the licensing costs are passed along to the consumer on top of whatever the final internal cost is determined for the pieces used - but that's not a concern here, as this is a non-licensed set.

At 1261 pieces and $99.99, this is pretty comparable to last year's offering, Winter Village Cottage, at 1490 pieces for the same price. The difference in piece count is nearly made up by all the 1x1 tiles found in the Cottage.

wyldjedi
Citizen
Citizen

Post by wyldjedi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 am

Piece count is not always the best way to associate the value of a set. It only works if the set looks to have a good assortment of both large and small parts. While this does have over 1200 pieces, it has a ton of small parts, including lots of parts 2x2 and smaller. I see so many 1x1 plates my head is spinning. It is nice that there are a lot of little buildings and minifigs, but $100 is too much. Minifigures are also not expensive to make since the design does not change any more than a standard 2x4 and that they also use about the same amount of plastic as 2 or 3 2x4's so I really do not look at minifigure count for value either. I look at this and see a $79 set, tops.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 am

^ If you have actual firsthand knowledge of how much money it costs to produce one minifigure, please enlighten the rest of us. If you are just presuming that it doesn't cost very much, please don't state it as concrete fact. Please read the post I previously linked to for more insight on the internal cost of producing a LEGO set, as it takes into account far more variables than merely the amount of ABS pellets.

Regardless, since the vast majority of us buy CMFs for around $3 a piece, 9 minifigures and two horses (new style, with articulated neck AND new printing) easily account for over one third the cost of this set.

theoreticalchemistry
I'm New !

Post by theoreticalchemistry » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:01 pm

What's with putting this in the "Creator" line when there aren't three different models shown with instructions. Same with the Winter Village Cottage and the Horizon Express.