LEGO Angry Birds Sets Coming Spring 2016!

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Angry Birds Sets Coming Spring 2016!

Post by Toys N Bricks » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Rovio, a company that produces one of the most recognized Angry Birds mobile games has been seeing a decline in their merchandise sales. Today, they have announced that they will be partnering with The LEGO Group in an effort to produce LEGO Angry Birds sets. I wonder how the sets will turn out in LEGO form.

A 2016 Angry Birds Movie will be released and LEGO sets will be produced based on the film. LEGO sets are expected to be available beginning Spring 2016. Press release taken from Rovio:
LAS VEGAS, Nevada– 8th June 2015– Rovio, makers of Angry Birds, the most downloaded mobile game ever, today announced a partnership with The LEGO Group to develop a line of construction toys. LEGO® Angry Birds will be available in spring 2016 to coincide with the release of The Angry Birds Movie, a full-length feature film based on the popular gaming franchise.
“The LEGO brand has an unparalleled ability to connect with people through products that spark creativity and imagination. We’re really excited to build experiences together with this amazing best-in-class partner,” said Pekka Rantala, Chief Executive Officer of Rovio.
“We are excited to bring Angry Birds to life in LEGO form, given the popularity of the game and its characters with fans of all ages, which will only be amplified by the forthcoming film,” said Jill Wilfert, Vice President, licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group. “We seek partnership with globally relevant properties that offer a unique and rewarding play experience to our fans, and our designers are having fun developing building sets that leverage the engaging play and deconstruction found in the Angry Birds game.”
Further details about the collection, available in spring of 2016, are not yet available.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-angry-birds ... ring-2016/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: LEGO Angry Birds Sets Coming Spring 2016!

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Unless the sets come with lots of amazingly useful pieces I don't think I'll be going near them.
And judging by all the negative comments on other forums very few others will either.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Geez... Let Angry Birds die. They had their moment. Its over. I work with middle school students and see Elementary school students after school (kids of other teachers). Several of the them talk to me about superheroes, movies and LEGO. None of them have been interested in Angry Birds in over a year. Maybe two years. As someone else said it would only be the inclusion of lots of useful parts that would interest me. Whats next? Temple Run sets? Flappy Bird? I've had my fingers crossed for years hoping for Legend of Zelda in LEGO form. Angry Birds? Really?

Maybe we can try to hit birds with flick fire missiles? I'm sorry. I'm probably reacting too harshly.

Assassin's Creed and/or Mario would have been smart choices but I understand they are already licensed to other companies. Is it Knex and Megabloks?

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:59 pm

Its not April is it? (checks date)

I'm still in disbelief that a movie is being made of Angry Birds.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:59 am

This has all the timely nature of "the soup man" of Seinfeld notoriety putting his soup on grocery store shelves last year

ahcow
Citizen
Citizen

Post by ahcow » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:46 am

Hey, if they make a set with a useable slingshot, I will buy for the heck of it.

peterk123
I'm New !

Post by peterk123 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:19 am

Nooooo. Star Wars, Transformers, now Lego? Angry birds has tried to assimilate into every aspect of toy culture!

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:13 pm

I wouldn't worry Peterk, all that Angry Bird stuff will be clogging up the shelves of thrift stores in 2020. Meanwhile Star Wars will be launching some new movie/videogame/cartoon.

AbuTaleb
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by AbuTaleb » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:17 am

I hate angry birds. However, I know that LEGO makes things nice. In fact, I purchased many sets before that I did not like at all (But my son liked them). After sharing these sets with my son, I end up saying "wow, it is not bad, I liked it"

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:52 pm

peterk123 wrote:Nooooo. Star Wars, Transformers, now Lego? Angry birds has tried to assimilate into every aspect of toy culture!
You said it better than what I was thinking. I can't believe Star Wars and Transformers allowed their IP to get mangled with Angry Birds. I thought LEGO would never drop to this level. That game was fun for about a week.

LEGO could use that shelf space for more Disney sets or anything else. Wall-E, Wizard of Oz, etc.

LEGO wouldn't allow us to shoot canons for the longest time. Now shooting has become all the rage.