[REVIEW] Friends: Emma's Design Studio 3936

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
100%
Average
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 7

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

[REVIEW] Friends: Emma's Design Studio 3936

Post by dho7622u » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:56 am

Indexed

So, on a lark, I picked up the new Friends set: Emma's Design Studio 3936. As a designer myself, I was interested in what they determined what Emma would need to start her own business.

I guess my first question is: How old are these girls supposed to be? Are they old enough to work? Are these occupations fantasies? Or are they supposed to be teens? Should we call DCI?

Never the less, TLG has done a nice job in creating a great set with some playability and exciting details.

The set looks exactly like the box photo. It seems to have all the required elements:
-a cutting table with an attached ruler, lamp (which I really like), obligatory flowers
-a desk table with stool for use of the laptop
-a cupboard for fabric storage
-a step ladder/ stair
-a design board
-an MP3 tile, camera, laptop, brush, coffee cup and the weird burger thing

IMG_2709 by dho7622u, on Flickr

Over all, the pieces have nice detail and interesting colour combinations. The Cutting table is a nice size if not a little high, but i guess the step unit is useful here! The ruler is connected with a stud

The drawer unit is for fabric storage, I assume. The set includes 4 1x2 tiles that are supposed to be bolts of fabric, I guess. The brush for brushing your hair…cause that is what designers do.

The design board is nice, but wish that the printed matter were stickers and not stamped bricks/plates/tiles.

The colour selection is great and really have been looking forward to those purple 1x2s…6 OF THEM!

IMG_2711 by dho7622u, on Flickr

So here is an inventory of the pieces. The build was easy and the set comes with a lot of great shapes and colours. Certainly a great starter set.

The one bummer is that EMMA doesn't have a sewing machine!

So I made her one. It was her Grandmother's, hence the reason it is black and not bright like her other things (now EMMA, you can't have everything new!).

IMG_2717 by dho7622u, on Flickr

The EMMA figure is nice, though a bit smaller in hand than it seems. The one intersecting thing is the hair….it is very squishy: almost a different type of plastic. But I did try it on a few different "Traditional" minifigs and it looks great.

enjoy (and did I mention that I love that lamp?)

david

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: [REVIEW] Friends: Emma's Design Studio 3936

Post by ncbarrett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 am

nice review on a great set.

My wife wanted it so I got it for her, and she too was bummed it didn't come with a sewing machine, so we made our own as well.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:17 am

Thanks for review. Nice job in the sewing machine.

soulless_minion
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by soulless_minion » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Great review, and nice pics too. I'm more tempted by this set now than I already was, partly for myself but also to hopefully play with my daughter when she's a bit older

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Nice review and I love the sewing machine you made!

And what the heck is with that "burger". I asked my 6 year old daughter what she thought it was the other night and she said burger too...that can't really be it can it? Maybe a pincushion? Seriously what is it?

I also love the little pink iPod...adorable!

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm

atmail35 wrote:And what the heck is with that "burger". I asked my 6 year old daughter what she thought it was the other night and she said burger too...that can't really be it can it? Maybe a pincushion? Seriously what is it?
I am pretty sure it is a burger. It looks pretty similar to the ones in the Cafe.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:21 am

Nice review. I was trying to decide on what set to purchase for my niece's upcoming birthday, and it looks like we have a winner!

Love the sewing machine you created too, lol!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:12 pm

dho7622u wrote:
atmail35 wrote:And what the heck is with that "burger". I asked my 6 year old daughter what she thought it was the other night and she said burger too...that can't really be it can it? Maybe a pincushion? Seriously what is it?
I am pretty sure it is a burger. It looks pretty similar to the ones in the Cafe.
It must be a veggie burger then, since it is green! ;-)

Athos
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Athos » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Are there any stickers in this set or are they all printed elements?

Steve

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Athos wrote:Are there any stickers in this set or are they all printed elements?

Steve
The items are printed...no stickers.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 am

dho7622u wrote:
Athos wrote:Are there any stickers in this set or are they all printed elements?

Steve
The items are printed...no stickers.
All of the $10 sets have printed pieces.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:54 pm

I haven't seen any one of this "friends" set selling at local store, so I got a first sight of these sets from your review. Thanks.

I like your sewing machine, and I believe this girl theme set has offered lots of room for players to be creative.

So far, imo, this theme set is doing good. I believe it could gain lots of girls attention from girl toys market.

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Awesome sewing machine addition to the set! The fact that there are many $10 sets for this theme is another reason I like it. Many themes have one $10 and the rest are $20+. Makes it hard for kids who don't have lots of $ to get a lot of different sets