[REVIEW] Friends 3933 - Oliva's Invention Workshop

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
40%
Average
60%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 5

d2hiriyuu
I'm New !

[REVIEW] Friends 3933 - Oliva's Invention Workshop

Post by d2hiriyuu » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Indexed

When the Friend's series came out, I picked up a third of the sets to play with the new colors and parts. The invention workshop stood out to me the most. The little robot was interesting to me, as I come from a tech school.

I bought the series for the robot and the teal, but I'll go into all the cool little things i found within the set.

I originally was not planning to write a review, as this is my first time, but after opening the box, I looked at the bag with all the light aqua plates and the teal, and I felt I had to. The big pieces are only new colors in simple bricks, and white pieces. My only original confusion was the blue pieces in the set, but I'll get to that later.

In regards to the part list, it had a lot more teal bricks than I was expecting. I would suggest this set to anyone who is opening friends series for the colors. I also enjoyed the addition of the chemistry glass, as this means my mad scientists have even more items. The set only contains a small amount of pink. I am normally not a fan of pink, but it goes well with the teal.

I do not enjoy Olivia as much as Andrea (the black curly hair was awesome). I originally assumed the mini figures from friends were going to be something I tossed in with my beville girls. I was pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise.

The black chalk board part impressed me that it actually had math on it. I love math, and especially geometry, and so am thinking on using this piece later in a MOC.

Here is the set, all built. I did not add the tools, keeping them on the sprue. I enjoyed the little clamp, and the robot. As someone who has hammered many things on a table clamp, I was very pleased with the clamp look. The weird part about the clamp is that it uses the blue pieces rather than teal like the rest of the set. The bottles are interesting, but I more enjoy the microscope that is looking at a large gem. I was a little disappointed with the pink ledge on the blackboard, as it seems a little weirdly constructed, but the pieces are still really nice to have. I would have preferred the blackboard be made like the design studio board instead.

I think it was a great set, and I hope others appreciate it as much as I did. For $10 it was a great buy.
Last edited by d2hiriyuu on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: [REVIEW] Friends 3933 - Oliva's Invention Workshop

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 pm

I must say, as a guy, the colors are awesome. I really don't know where this "saying pink is for girls" BS is coming from. The main color in the set is a beautiful aqua. The pink on the chalkboard is really weird, I would have went with a purple color.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:26 am

this is one of my favorite sets.
My daughter loves it too, especially the robot.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

yeti79
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by yeti79 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:21 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:I must say, as a guy, the colors are awesome. I really don't know where this "saying pink is for girls" BS is coming from. The main color in the set is a beautiful aqua. The pink on the chalkboard is really weird, I would have went with a purple color.
I agree I like the color scheme of the friends set and my favorite color is purple. This is another excellent friends sets