Baking the idea of a Lego replica of the R.M.S. Titanic

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
JaumeBCN
I'm New !

Baking the idea of a Lego replica of the R.M.S. Titanic

Post by JaumeBCN » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:40 pm

I always liked the idea of doing this, in minifig Scale (height, 1/60) At such scale the 269 Meter (800ish feet) would translate to a 4.50 meter 14 feet) model, luckily I have a big home and room for it. I did see many Lego Titanic models, but all of them are kinda 'meh' (fault being mainly the Sketchy know how at enginery or how original Titanic was built), I saw on one of those models how the brick count climbs from 40.000 to nearly half million (1) because "the inner hull must be full of bricks to make it sturdy :crazy: (we all know how not real cars are just one solid lump of steel churned out of a mold)

My idea is replicating the real titanic build process, a central keel, made of a 4 brick tall by 2 brick wide and 4.25 Metre long beam (obviously interlocked bricks), besides the keel many 3 brick tall hollow double bottom 'boxes' 8x10 stud each till make the full hull bottom, from there, bilge keel, and upwards we go.

Here's a pic of a render of the Bilge Keel, made up the flotation line. it's just a very small fraction of the bilge keel, under 60 feet long on 1/1 scale

the black lower floor tile is the inner lower floor on the ship, under there are 3 layers of brick crisscrossed so they would be as sturdy as it looks the grey brick 4x2x3 brick made to reinforce the side of the hull, over it, the two long red Bricks (that cross the outer hull, are supports of the Orlop deck (with a black plate for showing) The idea is putting cross 'ribs' for every deck, even if the deck is not properly detailes, also the decks would support columns to give it vertical rigidity.

I'm solid on this project even if it takes me many years.

OOPS wrong forum, sorry.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: Baking the idea of a Lego replica of the R.M.S. Titanic

Post by vynsane » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:39 am

I think this is probably a good place for this topic - I should have put my WIP (Work In Progress) topics here, as well!

Judging by your scale estimates, it sounds like this is a similarly enormous undertaking as my Battlestar Galactica project (which has been sitting untouched for quite some time, I might add...). I look forward to seeing your progress and maybe it will spur me on to make some progress of my own ;-)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:15 pm

JaumeBCN wrote:I always liked the idea of doing this, in minifig Scale (height, 1/60) At such scale the 269 Meter (800ish feet) would translate to a 4.50 meter 14 feet) model, luckily I have a big home and room for it. I did see many Lego Titanic models, but all of them are kinda 'meh' (fault being mainly the Sketchy know how at enginery or how original Titanic was built), I saw on one of those models how the brick count climbs from 40.000 to nearly half million (1) because "the inner hull must be full of bricks to make it sturdy :crazy: (we all know how not real cars are just one solid lump of steel churned out of a mold)

My idea is replicating the real titanic build process, a central keel, made of a 4 brick tall by 2 brick wide and 4.25 Metre long beam (obviously interlocked bricks), besides the keel many 3 brick tall hollow double bottom 'boxes' 8x10 stud each till make the full hull bottom, from there, bilge keel, and upwards we go.

Here's a pic of a render of the Bilge Keel, made up the flotation line. it's just a very small fraction of the bilge keel, under 60 feet long on 1/1 scale

the black lower floor tile is the inner lower floor on the ship, under there are 3 layers of brick crisscrossed so they would be as sturdy as it looks the grey brick 4x2x3 brick made to reinforce the side of the hull, over it, the two long red Bricks (that cross the outer hull, are supports of the Orlop deck (with a black plate for showing) The idea is putting cross 'ribs' for every deck, even if the deck is not properly detailes, also the decks would support columns to give it vertical rigidity.

I'm solid on this project even if it takes me many years.

OOPS wrong forum, sorry.
Looks like a perfect project for Lego digital designer.

I found the best way to make a sturdy nxm brick where n>=2 and m>=1 is to connect n layers of 1xm technic bricks using technic pin. The pins act like glue in plywood - the layering of bricks limits bending where the bricks meet end to end.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:46 am

Neo wrote: I found the best way to make a sturdy nxm brick where n>=2 and m>=1 is to connect n layers of 1xm technic bricks using technic pin. The pins act like glue in plywood - the layering of bricks limits bending where the bricks meet end to end.
Absolutely. In fact for large platforms, I require the techic boxes for rigidity:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=40345