A few Chapters Stores closing this summer (50% off entire store)

This is the LEGO Sales Forum for members from Canada and Europe.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

A few Chapters Stores closing this summer (50% off entire store)

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sun May 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Chapters Indigo Canada is closing a few of its Brick & mortar book stores this summer. This includes the Richmond, BC store and the Toronto Flagship store at Festival Hall (intersection of John and Richmond Street). Both stores will close by the end of this month on May 30th, 2014.

After 18 years in business, the Richmond, BC store will be having 50% off everything in the store. Most LEGO Items qualify except for LEGO Friends and LEGO Mindstorms. There is no other Chapters store in the City of Richmond after the closure. The closest Chapters store for Richmond customers will now be the one on Granville street in Vancouver or the Metrotown store in Burnaby.

The Toronto flagship store should be having a similar sale. Check the store for details. The closest Chapters store for Toronto customers will now be in North York or Scarborough.

Fine print:

Offer excludes electronics & related accessories, kids’ electronics, tablets, eBooks, giftcards, video games and consoles, used books, LEGO Friends, LEGO Mindstorm, gift cards, Rosetta Stone interactive learning software, memberships or Indigo Love of Reading fundraising products or donations. Not valid in conjunction with any other offers or promotions (excluding every day irewards discount) and cannot be used to adjust amount paid on previous purchases. Not valid on kiosk orders.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/a-few-chapters-s ... ire-store/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Re: A few Chapters Stores closing this summer (50% off entir

Post by Legobrandon » Sun May 18, 2014 6:21 pm

This is really sad. Sure, Chapters wasn't the cheapest place to get books or toys, but it was a nice little place to hang out and feel those LEGO minifigure packages in peace.

I guess you can't really stay in business with ebooks becoming so popular.

timtosino
Citizen
Citizen

Post by timtosino » Sun May 18, 2014 7:16 pm

There was no LEGO at the Richmond store when I was there on Saturday.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 pm

I dropped by that store earlier this year and with the traffic there even on a Saturday afternoon, I can see the reason why they're closing it. The entire store was pretty much empty aside from Starbucks and the magazine section. Tough to stay in business like that with staffing the store and paying the high rents.

Its a nice store as its quiet. Don't think I've seen any quieter Chapters store. Metrotown on the other hand is always busy and packed with people.

Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Blacknight » Mon May 19, 2014 1:39 am

Legobrandon wrote:This is really sad.
Almost as sad as all the small independent bookstores across Canada that Chapters drove out of business 10 years ago.

omalak
Citizen
Citizen

Post by omalak » Mon May 19, 2014 10:42 am

Just like the Worlds Bigggest Bookstore (also owned by Chapters) closef a few months back. They jad a fire dale on everything, 60% off at one point.

However the chapters Lego selection is limited in stores and I believe when the close stores down they move stock around to other stores, which means most of their Lego gets sent to other stores. Small Star Wars sets do end up at 50% but its not worth the hassle of checking the store for Lego.

I would go only if you need books and Magazines

legolebowski
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by legolebowski » Thu May 22, 2014 3:56 pm

I was at the Chapters downtown in Toronto on Tuesday, and yeah, no reason to go if you are interested in LEGO. They did have a few LEGO kids books (none of the ones with minifigures in the cover, btw) and they had a box full of LEGO Death Stars with the TIE Fighter pilot which I think were around $4.50. Maybe good for a party of something as grab-bag stuff.

As for non-LEGO stuff there, it was pretty picked over too.

harry99
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by harry99 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:11 am

Would be nice if this would mean that more independent bookstores open up shop again :)
Visit my BrickLink store - 10% off if you mention that you're a ToysNBricks member. http://www.BrickAssortments.com

legolebowski
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by legolebowski » Fri May 23, 2014 2:49 pm

I know, right. Or toy shops, or any kind of shop!

I remember when I first started getting into the Minifigure series' I was talking to the shop owner of an independent toy shop in my area, and he was saying that demand for these things was so huge that LEGO stopped taking orders from the independents and was just shipping them to big box stores. So he had to get in on an order from a friend he knew in distributing just to get them!

I'm not totally against big business - it is convenient sometimes. I just wish there were more room for the little guys (independent stores, not minifigures :) )