Pick a Brick wall changes? Now Pick A Model!

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Pick a Brick wall changes? Now Pick A Model!

Post by LegoImagination » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:44 pm

I was at a Lego store in Southern California today. They said all the stores starting on April 1st will swap out some of the pick a brick bins and do kits. Like buy all the parts to do a car. The girl said it would be like five dollars, maybe ten.

Anyone else heard about this? It didn't seem like a April fools joke.

???

Edit 4/1

Not a joke, they did it, it is called Pick A Model and they took a bunch of bins out of the pick a brick wall to do it. And the pieces can NOT be used in the pick a brick buckets.
$4.99 to get parts to make things like a small airplane. Seems the same as the small box lego sets, except you have to do the labor of picking the pieces, and you get a plastic clam shell instead of a box.
Last edited by LegoImagination on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: Pick a Brick wall changes? Kits?

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:30 am

That seems like a stupid idea. So it's very likely that LEGO will be doing it. :lol:

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:11 am

She mentioned that they had tried it in some test stores and it worked well. She said the parts could not be picked for the buckets. Personally I would like more pick a bricks, not a smaller selection.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:32 pm

I think this might be in addition to the PAB wall. There would be a container with all the parts to build a model pre-filled for a certain amount of money. I don't think they would get rid of the option entirely. I could be wrong...it's happened before. :P

Jared

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:46 pm

legogod wrote:I think this might be in addition to the PAB wall. There would be a container with all the parts to build a model pre-filled for a certain amount of money. I don't think they would get rid of the option entirely. I could be wrong...it's happened before. :P

Jared
I recall a few years ago the Stores had small cups prefilled with pieces for a few dollars to build a model.

crazybirdman
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by crazybirdman » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:20 pm

yeah, the profit margin on the pick a brick cups is too high to pass up.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Why not just include all the parts to include a plane or a car on the wall itself?

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:20 pm

legogod wrote:I think this might be in addition to the PAB wall. There would be a container with all the parts to build a model pre-filled for a certain amount of money. I don't think they would get rid of the option entirely. I could be wrong...it's happened before. :P

Jared

From what I heard, it will replace a few pick a brick bins. So most of the wall will still be there, just smaller.

Katra
I'm New !

Post by Katra » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:20 pm

I too remember the pre filled cups a few years ago. I think one was an Easter bunny. When they went away I figured it was an idea that hadn't worked out.

I would rather see a better selection than any pre-filled cups. A couple suggestions that should get a lot of people to visit the stores:
1. A featured plant; changed every couple months. I got myself lots of stalks and bamboo leaves when they were on the wall; along with a batch of leaf elements the only time I found them on a wall.
2. A featured color; preferably something not among the more common colors. Again changed every month or three. Have the featured color available at least in 1X1, 1X2, 1X4, 1X6, 2X2, and 2X4 bricks, 1X2 and 2X4 plates, and 1X2 and 2X2 tile. (1X3, 1X8, 2X3, and 2X6 bricks would be nice additions but not essential.)

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Well, according to a youtuber, what they are doing is making it so you can't fill up a cup with just one kind of part. You will have to pick out the parts for the kit, and then you can fill the cup with what ever you want. Although, he did say that was according to the employees at his Lego store, and they might have been wrong.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:37 am

Wow, is Lego really this good at keeping a secret? I thought someone would know.

As for making the wall all one color, I think this is a interesting idea. But you run the risk of unpopular colors so nobody really buys anything. Also I think Lego tells the stores to mix up the bins so similar colors are separated.

Anyway, I wish they would make the wall bigger. The wall is the only reason I visit the Lego stores. I wish other stores had pick a brick walls or even sections.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:11 am

LegoImagination wrote:Wow, is Lego really this good at keeping a secret? I thought someone would know.
I think they are getting better at it. Those who really know aren't talking if they want continued employment.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:10 pm

dr_spock wrote:
LegoImagination wrote:Wow, is Lego really this good at keeping a secret? I thought someone would know.
I think they are getting better at it. Those who really know aren't talking if they want continued employment.
Having worked retail a lot of my life there is also the chance that LEGO didn't bother telling 99% of their workers what is going on. :)

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:37 pm

Sadly this is not a April Fools day joke. They really did do this.

It is called Pick a Model, and it is $4.99 for each little model. They had small models like airplane, and others. You get a plastic clam shell thing you put the parts in. You can NOT use those parts in the pick a brick buckets.

I see no difference between this and a normal boxed kit, except they save the cost of a box and they can put out far less pick a brick bricks. Speaking of, they took out 19 bins (38 bricks) to do this. Three bins now hold signs and buckets for pick a brick, even though they still have both on the table next to the wall. And 16 bins (what would have held 32 different brick types) now were dedicated to pick a model.

I think this is awful. They are killing the pick a brick wall, and replacing it with stuff they really already have. Is there a good place I can complain?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: Pick a Brick wall changes? Now Pick A Model!

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Wow. I'm glad I never go to the stores because this sounds incredibly stupid. Like you said why not just make the sets? The clamshell can't be any cheaper than a cardboard box. It's almost like "Hey we have too many plane pieces right now, let's send them to the store and make lame sets in the PaB wall"!

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Write to the CEO of The LEGO Group.

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Here is a Lego link with a picture of a couple of models.

http://stores.lego.com/en-us/worldwide- ... 2811CB916C

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:42 am

$7 for that? Pass.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:55 am

I'l have to stop by the local and see what's up.

LegoImagination
Citizen
Citizen

Post by LegoImagination » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:18 am

hatcher wrote:$7 for that? Pass.
$5. Still a huge pass for me as well. I think the small box creators are better.

If people didn't know what to build with the brick wall, Lego should have just sold an idea book with the common items on the brick wall.

Edit (Opps, noticed you are in Canada, so I guess it might be $7 there, if they are doing it there.)