LEGO Cuusoo to be replaced by LEGO Ideas

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Cuusoo to be replaced by LEGO Ideas

Post by Toys N Bricks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Originally an experimental crowdsourcing project with Cuusoo back in 2008, The LEGO Group will be branching off LEGO Cuusoo as LEGO Ideas starting April 30th, 2014. All LEGO Cuusoo projects will automatically redirect the new LEGO Ideas site and you'll be able to sign in with the same LEGO ID. More information regarding this change is available on their official site.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-cuusoo-to-b ... ego-ideas/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: LEGO Cuusoo to be replaced by LEGO Ideas

Post by Mantisking » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:14 am

I'm a little confused what they mean by "branching off". If they're just changing the name, why not call it "rebranding" or something like that?

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Cuusoo was an outsourced project. LEGO is bringing that project in house and the reason for the change. Branching is an incorrect term for this move, but that happens in PR. I like the idea of having one LEGO ID instead of having a separate Cuusoo account.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Huh... interesting.
Mantisking wrote:I'm a little confused what they mean by "branching off". If they're just changing the name, why not call it "rebranding" or something like that?
Well, Cuusoo is a site that allows people to vote on a lot of different ideas, similar to kickstarter:

https://cuusoo.com

This announcement indicates that LEGO will be moving the entire idea submission process away from the Cuusoo platform to one of their own design. How different it ends up in appearance or functionality from the current iteration is anyones guess.

I wonder, though, why the move? Were they paying Cuusoo to host the site? Were they paying licensing fees to Cuusoo to use their brand name?
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Neo
Knight
Knight

Post by Neo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Is TLG going to put more restriction on what may be submitted? For example, the TLG might want to limit the number of pieces or size of a creation to a 32x32 base plate??

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:03 pm

^ Apparently, these are the only two changes to the TOS:
What' s new in the LEGO Ideas terms version 1.0 compared to the expiring LEGO CUUSOO terms:

1. Beginning April 30th, 2014, all Projects will have one year to reach 10,000 supporters.

Existing projects will receive a full year starting April 30th, 2014 and ending May 1st, 2015 to qualify, and will keep their existing supporters. Projects published after April 30th, 2014 will each receive one year from their publication date to reach 10k.

If a project doesn't reach 10,000 supporters within the year, it will expire and will no longer accept supporters. After that, you're welcome to re-submit and try again with the same project, but it will re-start at zero supporters and must reach 10,000 unique supporters within one year's time to be considered in the LEGO Review.

2. If you are between 13-18 years old you may now create and submit projects, but if your project reaches 10,000 supporters, we will require written permission from a parent or legal guardian before your project is considered in the LEGO Review.
More at http://lego.cuusoo.com/transition
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:46 am

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:Cuusoo was an outsourced project.
Hunh. I was under the impression it was an inhouse thing.

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:48 pm

If anyone is not receiving the confirmation email needed to link your accounts I suggest contacting them. Click the "help" link at the bottom of the page and then "Contact support" in the box on the right side of the page. I got a reply with the confirmation link within 15 minutes.