LEGO TMNT

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
gundamz
I'm New !

LEGO TMNT

Post by gundamz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:33 am

Is it a good idea to invest in LEGO TMNT? Right off the bat, I have identified some pros and cons of investing in LEGO TMNT.

Pros:
* Popular with adults; not just for kids
* Unique minifigures
* Unique settings
* Some unique pieces
* TMNT itself is well-known

Cons:
* Some of the designs are rather childish (e.g. Shellraiser)
* The vehicles are rather simple
* TMNT's popularity has waned since the 1980s
* Licensed themes has been hit and miss

Neutral:
* It is unknown how long the TMNT line will last or when EOL will occur.

My Goal: Making money would be nice. However, I am more interested in whether the sets will hold value. So, in the event that I buy them and then I lose interest in them, I would like to be able to sell the sets back into the market and recoup most of what I paid.

Luciant
Count
Count

Re: LEGO TMNT

Post by Luciant » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 am

Personally, I think they will be a 'fad' and be popular while they are out and then become relatively forgotten. While AFOLs love some TMNT, I don't think the market is gonna be that nice to them. I don't see many people madly collecting TMNT stuff like I do Star Wars or other Themes.

I think the Minifigures will ultimately be very collectible from this series, but the actual sets, not so much.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

I'm thinking in line of Alien Conquest. People said for a long time "We want new Aliens." The AC line was popular, but how fast did it hit clearance, and we continue to see them in clearance? The line was really nice, sturdy sets, good parts, and good minifigs... but not so hot on secondary market. I think TMNT will have a very similar run, but will gain from "unique"/well known Minifigs.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:47 am

The sets are not all that attractive, but the a few sets of minifigs might be worth holding onto though, the 4 turtles, shredder and splinter (splinter is questionable because he looks so different from the original series).
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

ninjago22
I'm New !

Post by ninjago22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:16 am

Have you guys noticed there are quite a few sellers on ebay that already have several of the TMNT minifigures for sale? Where are these guys getting these? Possibly fake ones from China?

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 am

Looking at previous nickelodeon lines such as Avatar Last Airbender, Lego TMNT will have long term investment potential. Like Avatar, might just take a bit to mature.

In the short term, Lego TMNT will be hugely popular. The first run of sets look fantastic for children and there is AFOL appeal for the minifigs (at least for the 4 turtles,splinter,shredder, and foot solider armies.)

Also there will be more classic characters coming out such as Casey Jones (in the show at least) which will generate more AFOL interest if/when the same lego sets come out. Turtles action figures they are selling out like hot cakes so the Lego TMNT will be hugely popular.

I think TMNT is going to be a classic 2-3 run hit for lego (roughly 2 years), maybe even longer, if the series continues to be so successful in USA topping rating charts!

ijumpman
I'm New !

Post by ijumpman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:39 am

I'm not sure how they will do in the long run, but personally I can't wait to get my hands on these. When I wasn't playing with Legos as a kid, I was usually playing with Ninja Turtles. It's the ultimate combo and a dream come true. I'll definitely be getting at least a couple sets for my personal collection. :-)

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:20 pm

The minifigs are going to be the biggest long term gain here. I would not bother with picking them up right away unless you can get a steep discount AND you plan to part out the sets to sell the figures on their own. There will be a lot of AFOLs who want certain figs and don't wan to bother with the sets.
Check out my blog - Buried in Bricks

willb2064
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by willb2064 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Is there a TMNT movie coming out or anything? Just seemed like a bit of a random theme given how many other themes Lego has on the go right now.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:13 pm

willb2064 wrote:Is there a TMNT movie coming out or anything? Just seemed like a bit of a random theme given how many other themes Lego has on the go right now.
The tv series has recently been re-booted. My son's a rabid fan (I have to admit, it's not bad). All TMNT merch is pretty hot right now, not just LEGO.

emazers
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by emazers » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:41 am

If you want these for an investment, I would not buy a single one as of now. Now if they come out with a $100.00 or more set then I would,

Luciant
Count
Count

Post by Luciant » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 am

emazers wrote:If you want these for an investment, I would not buy a single one as of now. Now if they come out with a $100.00 or more set then I would,
I agree. The only set i would even consider or of these is the turtles lair simply as a means of getting Leonardo , Raphael, and splinter.

willb2064
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by willb2064 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:39 pm

melsig wrote:
willb2064 wrote:Is there a TMNT movie coming out or anything? Just seemed like a bit of a random theme given how many other themes Lego has on the go right now.
The tv series has recently been re-booted. My son's a rabid fan (I have to admit, it's not bad). All TMNT merch is pretty hot right now, not just LEGO.
Thanks - I had no idea - my son isn't old enough to watch TV yet :lol:

I do think the minifigs are great but I don't have any interest in the current sets.

exciter1
Knight
Knight

Post by exciter1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 am

Activision has signed on to make 3 games, which the first is to be released this Summer.

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:56 am

now that a few years have passed and the line is soon to be eol, (it is eol in europe/global already)

I have to say the entire theme was fantastic!

well done lego!

I think the only thing missing was some of the original characters such as Rocksteady and Bebop and maybe the Turtles Hot air balloon. maybe a large tunneling Kraang Dome/Sphere thingie. I would have liked a Usagi Ujimbo and Casey Jones but overall I was very impressed with most of the sets.

Sets such as Shellraiser which did not initially impress, grew on me as I watched the show.

The Turtle Lairs and vehicles stayed true to the 'subway/steam punk' theme of Eastman/Laird's multicultural Urban America . Baxter's mech was the only oddball in my opinion, it just didn't go together with the other sets.

Impressive character molds and unique bricks we will likely never see again!

This theme won't be truly appreciated until its gone.