Opened/Displayed loses how much value?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
Neismond
I'm New !

Opened/Displayed loses how much value?

Post by Neismond » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Greetings! First time poster with a question regarding opened LEGO sets.

I have purchased in the past twelve months the Tower of Orthanc and UCS Slave I. The tower is displayed, the Slave I currently is unopened. I would like to build it for enjoyment; however I am also potentially looking at its investment possibilities 10-20-30 years down the road.

How much resell value is lost when a set is opened and built, if any is lost? In the forum's opinion. I do try and take some care with the sets- all instruction manuals and original boxes are saved (not broken down), sets are dusted, etc.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions :)

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: Opened/Displayed loses how much value?

Post by hatcher » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:04 am

Just like any collectible, if its open, it won't be worth as much as if sealed. What that difference in price will be depends on the set.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

pbb99
Knight
Knight

Post by pbb99 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:44 pm

varies too much by set to give a solid answer. Based on my limited experience of watching values, sets that are still relatively common take a bigger hit when opened compared to ones that are almost impossible to find.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Depends on the set and the market conditions at the time you plan to sell them. Currently there is a ~$1000 difference between new and used for the UCS Star Destroyer on BrickLink. $90 difference between new and used Darth Vader fighter. You do get more for unopened MSIB sets.

*Past results do not guarantee future performance.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:00 pm

It's impossible to tell. Some sets people just want the mini figures, some want the box. Keeping the box is good, but if you only care about resale value 30 years from now then don't open them. No matter what the set will be worth more unopen.

WestySteve
I'm New !

Post by WestySteve » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:26 am

One way around this is to buy sets that have already been opened. Think of it like buying a gently used car. Also, this opens up the entire history of Lego you can choose from. You can buy stuff from the 90's...you're not just limited to what's on the shelves today.