McFarlane Toys getting into the brick building market

The place for General LEGO Discussions such as the LEGO website, video games, movie, general LEGO inquries and everything else not included in our forums.
lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

McFarlane Toys getting into the brick building market

Post by lego the hutt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:42 pm

I saw a link to this article on another site and I am definitely curious to see how this pans out. These are some of the most realistic brick built sets I have ever seen.

Here are a few closeups.

Read the full article here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67922

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: McFarlane Toys getting into the brick building market

Post by vynsane » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Meh. They look like customized/painted LEGO pieces. I suppose military builders might be interested in these, but there's not a lot of versatility to any of it, even the "basic" pieces are specialized with colors and patterns.

Ugh, I can't stand McFarlane these days, he's so full of himself.
Hopefully the reaction will be "Todd's doing what he did (with action figures) and just moving it to another aisle."
If by that he meant "Todd's doing what he did with action figures - making smaller, really cheap plastic versions of the expensive statues you want to collect but can't justify the expense of, but will break the first time you try to move one of the three points of useless articulation, but adding a handful of interlocking bricks - and just moving it to another aisle." then yes, that's exactly my reaction.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 pm

This looks like it lacks imagination. You can only use certain pieces (like the fence) to only be that piece. Pieces like the wooden flooring can only be used for things made of wood. I'd rather just buy something already built for me (like those houses for Christmas deco), it's basically the same. This may be good though for LEGO fans who use clone brands in their work.
Building LEGOs, one piece at a time...

My Flickr

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:51 pm

Mcfarlane was used to be premiere action figure producers; however, their focus on producing "sport" action figures did not help them to grow. If they had no intention to keep up with what they could be the best of, would rolling out a completely new line of product be a good move?

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 pm

I hear people judging this based on past experience with Todd instead of the product itself. I'm definitely going to wait and see but I think it has potential.

I'm worried about the clutch power and quality control (which seems to be somewhat of an issue with all clone brands).

I do like how the studs are hidden and the paint detail blends the seams more than standard bricks.

Eek
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Eek » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:26 am

In the Nerdist and MTV interviews, McFarlane said he intends to have figure blind bags and he talked about the pricing. The set with Daryl on the highway will be "around $19.99," and Prison Tower will cost $64.99.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:48 am

lego the hutt wrote:I hear people judging this based on past experience with Todd instead of the product itself. I'm definitely going to wait and see but I think it has potential.
I judged it based on both in my post. My estimation of the sets based solely on the preview images was first, then my comment about Todd's ego and the quality control issues that have plagued his products second.
I do like how the studs are hidden and the paint detail blends the seams more than standard bricks.
But the end result is really more akin to a scale model that has the hidden novelty of being made out of interlocking bricks. There's no stylization at all to make the subject matter conform to a brick-built world, as is the case with LEGO licensed sets, which is part of their charm and also makes them interchangeable with other pieces from other themes. The pieces in the McFarlane sets are what they are, and it will be hard to use them for anything else. People talk about specialization in LEGO pieces, but this is a whole 'nother level.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:35 am

JustBrickin wrote:This may be good though for LEGO fans who use clone brands in their work.
Ah, no. :-D

lego the hutt wrote:I hear people judging this based on past experience with Todd instead of the product itself. I'm definitely going to wait and see but I think it has potential.
vynsane wrote:I judged it based on both in my post. My estimation of the sets based solely on the preview images was first, then my comment about Todd's ego and the quality control issues that have plagued his products second.
I'm looking at the pictures in the article and reading what McFarlane was quoted as saying. I'm thinking he just doesn't get it.
JustBrickin wrote:This looks like it lacks imagination. You can only use certain pieces (like the fence) to only be that piece. Pieces like the wooden flooring can only be used for things made of wood. I'd rather just buy something already built for me (like those houses for Christmas deco), it's basically the same.
lego the hutt wrote:I do like how the studs are hidden and the paint detail blends the seams more than standard bricks.
vynsane wrote:But the end result is really more akin to a scale model that has the hidden novelty of being made out of interlocking bricks. There's no stylization at all to make the subject matter conform to a brick-built world, as is the case with LEGO licensed sets, which is part of their charm and also makes them interchangeable with other pieces from other themes. The pieces in the McFarlane sets are what they are, and it will be hard to use them for anything else. People talk about specialization in LEGO pieces, but this is a whole 'nother level.
Yeah, at this point you might as well just start making models.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:58 am

Not sure if people have seen this picture gallery or not. It shows these sets in pieces at different stages of the build.
http://news.toyark.com/2014/07/24/mcfar ... 014-130395

The more I see these the more excited I get. I'm going to make a prediction...5-10 years from now we will be saying these were the sets that started the "more realistic" building brick waves of sets. It seems obvious there will be other companies who copy cat this type of style that is targeted more at older kids and adults.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:50 pm

lego the hutt wrote: I'm going to make a prediction...5-10 years from now we will be saying these were the sets that started the "more realistic" building brick waves of sets. It seems obvious there will be other companies who copy cat this type of style that is targeted more at older kids and adults.
I think you are putting the cart before the horse.
I suspect they will be shelf warmers and only sell on clearance.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

The-Daryl
Knight
Knight

Post by The-Daryl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:56 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
lego the hutt wrote: I'm going to make a prediction...5-10 years from now we will be saying these were the sets that started the "more realistic" building brick waves of sets. It seems obvious there will be other companies who copy cat this type of style that is targeted more at older kids and adults.
Yep. Look like shelf warmers to me.

The more "realistic" megabloks sets seem to just languish until clearance too.

For me, personally, I don't have attraction to those kinds of sets. There's a whole world of miniatures and models out there if you want "real".

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:50 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
I expected this would be the type of response I would get. If it wasn't a bold prediction it wouldn't be worth noting...if I had said Lego will be the most profitable brick building company in the next 5-10 years I wouldn't have voiced the prediction. We will see...

These are getting a much warmer reaction on a couple of the other, non-lego/building brick specific, toy forums I frequent. I'm sure most people realize that there is definitely a bias towards "non-lego" brick sets on this, and other Lego specific, forums. I won't get into the reasons for the bias...a lot of it is justified imho.

I hope I am able to find some of these on clearance like I can Lego. I'm not sure if the production numbers will be there since it is a first wave. Also the price point is very reasonable on these making me think they may sell better than one might think...though I am worried about the quality control, like I always am with non-lego brands.

Daryl mentioned "more realistic megabloks". Maybe I have missed them? I haven't seen anything that comes close to this type of detail. These are aimed at an older target audience. You don't mean the megabloks zombies and halo do you? Those don't seem to hold a candle to these.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:25 pm

lego the hutt wrote:Daryl mentioned "more realistic megabloks". Maybe I have missed them? I haven't seen anything that comes close to this type of detail. These are aimed at an older target audience. You don't mean the megabloks zombies and halo do you? Those don't seem to hold a candle to these.
He means the Call of Duty sets.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 pm

Mantisking wrote:
lego the hutt wrote:Daryl mentioned "more realistic megabloks". Maybe I have missed them? I haven't seen anything that comes close to this type of detail. These are aimed at an older target audience. You don't mean the megabloks zombies and halo do you? Those don't seem to hold a candle to these.
He means the Call of Duty sets.
I had to look it up to make sure, but that is what I meant by the the megabloks zombies...those are call of duty sets. There are call of duty zombie hordes etc. Those are shelf warmers, they are everywhere. They have never appealed to me but I am pretty impressed by what I have seen in these mcfarlane sets. The detail doesn't appear to be in the same ballpark judging from the pictures we have seen. (though of course there is a chance that we have seen prototypes and the actual sets won't end up being as detailed)

The other thing I am worried about, besides clutch power and basic quality control, is the paint application on the figures. When trying to add detailed paint apps instead of more basic printing there are issues a lot of times even on larger sized 3 3/4" and 6" figures. In such a small scale I'm concerned. The figure sculpts look great but the paint apps on some of the figures looks pretty rough. The paint application on the bricks themselves look very good. I really like the realistic looking wood grain and cracked concrete/asphalt, ciner blocks etc. I guess zombies are a safe bet for small scale paint apps because they have such a torn up appearance anyway.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:54 am

lego the hutt wrote: I'm sure most people realize that there is definitely a bias towards "non-lego" brick sets on this, and other Lego specific, forums. I won't get into the reasons for the bias...a lot of it is justified imho.
This statement is arrogant and judgmental. It negates all of your comments.
I assure you I/we give non-lego brands a fair shake.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:49 am

lego the hutt wrote:Not sure if people have seen this picture gallery or not. It shows these sets in pieces at different stages of the build.

The more I see these the more excited I get. I'm going to make a prediction...5-10 years from now we will be saying these were the sets that started the "more realistic" building brick waves of sets. It seems obvious there will be other companies who copy cat this type of style that is targeted more at older kids and adults.
I think he's aiming at a very limited target market. People who are interested in model building but don't really have the know-how to assemble nice looking pieces.
lego the hutt wrote:I expected this would be the type of response I would get. If it wasn't a bold prediction it wouldn't be worth noting...if I had said Lego will be the most profitable brick building company in the next 5-10 years I wouldn't have voiced the prediction. We will see...

These are getting a much warmer reaction on a couple of the other, non-lego/building brick specific, toy forums I frequent. I'm sure most people realize that there is definitely a bias towards "non-lego" brick sets on this, and other Lego specific, forums. I won't get into the reasons for the bias...a lot of it is justified imho.
I build with a lot of Kre-O, and I'm constantly on the lookout for interesting clone bricks. These just don't measure up to what I'm looking for. To me these just look like scaled up HO train set pieces.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:49 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
lego the hutt wrote: I'm sure most people realize that there is definitely a bias towards "non-lego" brick sets on this, and other Lego specific, forums. I won't get into the reasons for the bias...a lot of it is justified imho.
This statement is arrogant and judgmental. It negates all of your comments.
I assure you I/we give non-lego brands a fair shake.
The statement wasn't targeted at you. You seemed to get very defensive.

It isn't like that is just my opinion or that it is even news. If you don't realize that there is a bias towards Non-Lego brick building companies in the Online Lego Community you either aren't as involved in the online community as I thought you were or you turn a blind eye.

I do think a lot of the bias is justified because it stems from issues like a lack of quality control/clutch power/distribution etc when compared to Lego. But like I said, I don't think it is necessary to really get into that...

The term Lego Purist is a fairly commonly used term. I am all for brand loyalty. Lego does produce a fantastic product but sometimes that brand loyalty leads to a biased opinion that doesn't always judge Lego's competitors fairly.

I really don't think this has to be explained but since you resorted to name calling I guess maybe it does.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:12 am

lego the hutt wrote:I do think a lot of the bias is justified because it stems from issues like a lack of quality control/clutch power/distribution etc when compared to Lego. But like I said, I don't think it is necessary to really get into that...
I think the issue at hand is the use of the word "bias" and then qualifying it with the word "justified". You seem to be using the word bias as a synonym for "preference" when in actuality it's more akin to a 'softer' form of prejudice - favoritism for one thing over another thing without fair comparison or even reason given. If it is justified, it can't be bias. So, really, to those of us here who take LEGO and clone brands at face value and ultimately prefer LEGO, calling it a bias rather than preference is an insult. There are those in the community who absolutely DO show bias towards LEGO, but not everyone who prefers LEGO over clone brands is biased.

I've already stated my opinion of the McFarlane sets based on what they have to offer and how it doesn't appeal to me and they way I build - not just blind adherence to Almighty LEGO, which is what the word 'bias' implies.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 pm

vynsane wrote: There are those in the community who absolutely DO show bias towards LEGO, but not everyone who prefers LEGO over clone brands is biased.
...I've already stated my opinion of the McFarlane sets based on what they have to offer and how it doesn't appeal to me and they way I build - not just blind adherence to Almighty LEGO, which is what the word 'bias' implies.
That is exactly what I am saying. I think it is pretty common knowledge. As you point out, there are those in the community who do show bias...not towards lego like you said, because bias often denotes a negative connotation. The bias is shown towards the clone brands. The preference is shown towards Lego.

Also, like you mention, there are plenty of people who prefer Lego but that doesn't mean they necessarily show bias towards the non-Lego brands. At no point did I say everyone who prefers Lego has a biased opinion towards clone brands, that would be silly. Isn't it obvious we are not talking in absolutes like that? (these last few sentences shouldn't need to be stated)

The point remains the same... there is a well known bias against Non-Lego brick building brands in the online Lego community. There are definitely people in the community who don't give other brands a fair shot and do have...to you use your words, a sort of "blind adherence to Almighty LEGO"...which once again, you are correct like usual ;-) , is what the word bias implies exactly like you said.

I didn't realize this was such touchy subject. People talk about it from the other angle of a Lego Purist all the time without anyone batting an eye. The one thing I don't understand from your post Vynsane is why you think being biased towards something can't be justified? It can of course be justifiable.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 pm

I guess it can be a touchy subject only because we do have quite a few members who are not absolute purists, and lumping them all together with "the adherents" can be insulting.

I suppose the meaning of the word "bias" can fluctuate in usage, but the most common definition, as I stated at the beginning of my post, is "favoritism for one thing over another thing without fair comparison or even reason given". In essence, it's showing preference for something without justifying your conclusion. Therefore a bias by definition cannot be justified, since it would require fair comparison or reasoning.

For example:

"I hate Nickelback."
"Why?"
"Because!"

There is no reason given, even though there are many, many (many) arguments that can be made in favor of this opinion. But without justification, this is just a bias against Nickelback.