LEGO Ideas: X-Men X-Mansion Reaches 10 000 Supporters

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Ideas: X-Men X-Mansion Reaches 10 000 Supporters

Post by Toys N Bricks » Wed May 21, 2014 5:42 pm

The new LEGO Ideas site has received another creation that reached 10 000 supporters. DarthKy's LEGO X-Men: X-Mansion has just received 10 000 supporters. Congrats on this achievement! Hopefully, this will become an official LEGO set in the future.

DarthKy also had another LEGO Ideas project that recently reached 10 000 supporters. LEGO Batman Assault on Wayne Manor was submitted on November 18, 2013 and the idea reached 10 000 supporters by May 12th, 2014. This is also the first LEGO Ideas project that reached 10 000 supporters.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-ideas-x-men ... upporters/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Re: LEGO Ideas: X-Men X-Mansion Reaches 10 000 Supporters

Post by vynsane » Thu May 22, 2014 6:12 am

These designs are just great. While i didn't support the Wayne Manor build because, frankly, I'm not as big a DC fan as I am a Marvel fan and can't justify buying a large-scale Batman set, I did support the X-Mansion (which should have been called "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters" but, whatev).

It will be interesting to see what happens in the review stage - I believe this is the first time ever that two projects by the same creator(s) are being reviewed together.

I've posted a new topic to spotlight two more of their large-scale Superhero building projects that could use more attention.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu May 22, 2014 6:51 am

As nice as those sets look, based on past results, since LEGO already makes Marvel and DC sets, they are probably not going to produce them. Which would be too bad.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu May 22, 2014 7:09 am

^ What past results are you citing in order to draw that conclusion? I think it's still really early in the history of Cuusoo/Ideas to overlay precedent on the review results.

Last December, when new rules were implemented that caused a lot of projects to be archived, the Wayne Manor project would have been shown the door if it was not "to code" which says to me they will give it a thorough review. The X-Mansion project was submitted after the rules were put in place, so it would not have passed the initial review to make it to the "gathering support" stage if it were deemed against the corporate goals of LEGO.

The only two reasons these sets would not pass the review are:

A: If TLG already has plans for similar set (highly unlikely)
B: If the production cost and/or MSRP is considered too high for the market to support (highly likely)

The decision will have little to nothing to do with the existence of the superhero licenses. If nothing else, the existence of said licenses makes the review easier, since they already hold the rights, unlike the BTTF and Ghosbusters sets, where they had to first research if the licensing would be attainable.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu May 22, 2014 7:47 am

Well, none of the Star Wars ideas that reached 100000 were made. I may be misremembering though, so who knows. I thought I remembered them saying something about not approving ideas that were from one of their already existing lines during one of their reveal videos. If that's not the case, then I guess we can cross our fingers and hope for the best.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu May 22, 2014 8:13 am

If I recall correctly, that was in reference to particular proposals dealing with Star Wars, but they never reached 10k - they were culled in the December revision to the guidelines. This included project proposals like the "Dark Bucket" which was just going to be a huge bucket of Stormtroopers which almost made it to 10k, and "Star Wars Ultra Build Series" (akin to the large Hero Factory-like "Constraction" figures of Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Batman, Green Lantern and Joker that were released a wile ago) which only made it to about 1300 before it was archived.

The nature of the licensing agreement with LucasFilm precludes the production of just a bunch of minifigures or action figure-like sets, since Hasbro has exclusive rights to sell action figures. This is why, for instance, you won't see a CMF series of just Star Wars. It remains to be seen whether or not the same rules apply to Superhero licenses.

To my knowledge, the only Star Wars related proposal to reach 10k is the "Invisible Hand". If you search for "most supported" it first gives you a list of all projects that have reached 10k that are at the "achieved support", "in review", "in production" or "on shelves" stage. It doesn't include archived/not approved projects.

thwip05
I'm New !

Post by thwip05 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:36 pm

I can't wait to see what becomes of this...my only concern is that since both made it into the review, at least one of them will not be made, since they only choose 1. Although, it is Lego's page and they can change the rules if they want to. It would be great to have them both, so that both Marvel and DC fans would be satisfied. Fingers Crossed! :)

mattlee1965
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by mattlee1965 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:47 pm

They should definitely make the X-Mansion because they just made the jet so there needs to be a place to park it right? I think the X-Mansion would be a great way to pick up some of the x-men characters that haven't been made yet. I personally love the idea of the Wayne Manor, and if they could make it so that it could go over the top of the existing batcave that would be awesome.(Not going to happen though). However, I cannot stand the thought of another Batman Lego set. Please do something different with DC, like green lantern or something.

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by bea » Thu May 22, 2014 2:03 pm

I don't care about super heroes but I like the buildings so I love if those get made.

However, given the tiny sets that have been produced so far, I expect these will get rejected just based on the piece count.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu May 22, 2014 3:25 pm

thwip05 wrote:I can't wait to see what becomes of this...my only concern is that since both made it into the review, at least one of them will not be made, since they only choose 1.
This is not at all a stipulation of the LEGO Ideas platform - just because, so far, only one product has come out of each review period, there is no "there can be only one!" rule. In fact, Female Minifigure Set by Alatariel is still being evaluated even though it was in review with the Ghostbusters set.

Previous to that, Peter Reid's ExoSuit was selected for production and the Land Rover Defender 110 was still in evaluation. It ended up not being slated for production, but it goes to show they are open to evaluating each and every idea that makes it to review. The review is not a competition, it's just as it says on the tin: A review of all projects that attain full support.

thwip05
I'm New !

Post by thwip05 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 am

Ah, I wasn't aware of that...thanks for clearing that up! :)

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Sat May 24, 2014 12:51 pm

I hope Lego doesn't give these the axe just because they'll be pricey sets. If anything, they could divide the sets up to bring the cost down a bit. You could by the X-mansion separately from the Danger Room set. And then combine them if desired. That way instead of having a $300+ price tag set, you could have a $200ish set and another $100+ set while still getting the full set out.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Buttmunch wrote:I hope Lego doesn't give these the axe just because they'll be pricey sets. If anything, they could divide the sets up to bring the cost down a bit. You could by the X-mansion separately from the Danger Room set. And then combine them if desired. That way instead of having a $300+ price tag set, you could have a $200ish set and another $100+ set while still getting the full set out.
Good idea. Seriously. I think splitting it would make easier to market. Not sure how that would effect the minfigures though. I guess some would be available with the lower half (Danger Room) while others would be available with the top half (mansion itself). I like that LEGO did this recently with Jabba's Palace and later adding the Rancor pit that attached below. I think it worked well for both the company and for customers