[US/CAN] Free Castle Mini Build on September 12

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[US/CAN] Free Castle Mini Build on September 12

Post by Toys N Bricks » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 am

On Thursday, September 12th, visit your local LEGO Brand Store starting at 5PM for a FREE Castle Mini Model Build.  Children aged 6-14 can receive the elements to build a Castle turret.  Quantities are limited to approximately 150 per store.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/uscan-free-castl ... tember-12/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Roselindo
I'm New !

Re: [US/CAN] Free Castle Mini Build on September 12

Post by Roselindo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 pm

How strict are they with the ages? My son loves the castles but he's only 4.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:10 pm

Roselindo wrote:How strict are they with the ages? My son loves the castles but he's only 4.
Welcome to Toys N Bricks! I would say it really depends on the Sales Associates at your store. I've seen my store give them to 4 year olds, but it really is up to management and may depend on how crowded it is.

What store would you go to? Maybe someone here can give some personal experiences.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 pm

At the Sherway store in Toronto, I've seen them give the cards for a build to children in strollers who were clearly under 2 or 3. Not sure if the do any enforcing on the top end of the age range, but it seems as long as you've been born you can "do" a build there.
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

Roselindo
I'm New !

Post by Roselindo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Thanks for the input. I would be going to the Bridgewater NJ store.

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 pm

I've found that the staff is more likely to let kids under 6 participate if its towards the end of the build. The staff at our store has said they don't like to handout cards to 3 or 4 year olds when there are a bunch of older kids in line behind them---they don't want to risk running out before the older kids get a chance to build. But, by 6:30pm or so, after the line is down, they will usually let younger ones in if there are still plenty of sets available.

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Interesting the amount per store is appox 150 compared to 250 from the pirate build last week.

krayzie
Citizen
Citizen

Post by krayzie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Just tell them your kid is 6. They have no way to prove it. I've taken my 4 year old to the crab build and the bbq grill build. I might take her to this one tomorrow as I want to buy some stuff.

Hodgeman
Knight
Knight

Post by Hodgeman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:43 am

SpaceViking wrote:I've found that the staff is more likely to let kids under 6 participate if its towards the end of the build. The staff at our store has said they don't like to handout cards to 3 or 4 year olds when there are a bunch of older kids in line behind them---they don't want to risk running out before the older kids get a chance to build. But, by 6:30pm or so, after the line is down, they will usually let younger ones in if there are still plenty of sets available.
Unfortunately, this wasn't the case - there were still a large number of people in line. Kind of surprised me, but whatever.
LEGO, it's not just a toy, it's an addiction... ;)

bufsabres1
I'm New !

Post by bufsabres1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:48 am

My son is two and they give him a card every time to build one. I take him and his 9 year old brother. Of course he's a very big two year old.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:40 am

In my opinion, I think it is best to frequent your store during slow times (during the week, during the day) with the young child and get to know the sales associates. They are much more willing to help you out if they "know" you. I don't think insisting that your kids is 6, when they are not, is necessary.

Beware though that lines can get long so your 4 year old may not want to wait (these "off" builds are typically quieter). Also you don't want to travel far and wait and be denied. I would talk with your sales associates and gauge what they would do. I do think having an older sibling "of age" helps.

FWIW, I asked at our store when my daughter was 5 and they didn't have a problem with it so we just started going and became regulars.

I think it is YMMV.

And the 150 vs 250, I do think that since they have to gather the parts manually and put them in cups/bags rather than the newer factory sealed bags is why they do less.

krayzie
Citizen
Citizen

Post by krayzie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:33 pm

I have actually never seen my local store ask any of the kids for their age. At the BBQ grill event there were two 16+ kids in line ahead of us and they had no issues getting the grill. I think if you ask for permission to take a 4 year old, you're opening yourself up to being denied. Just go and if they ask say he's 6. I see no reason to bring it up unless they ask you.

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm

First time there for our family, it's cool 45 piece castle set! I especially liked the 7 brick & mortar pieces and the 2 flags and crossbow of course.

I saw my local store happened to deny a few kids ~4 and 2 years old from building today, when they questioned their age. Definitely your YMMV.

Also, they gave out catalogs with 10% coupons if you asked (though they confirmed its not vaild for use on the 10XXX series and others mentioned in the fine print).
Last edited by Marcus70 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by harrelmusic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Generally speaking, you're probably best telling them the truth if they ask, unless you're not planning on shopping there any more. They have rules posted and most stores are flexible to a degree but just telling them something because they can't prove it is a good way to spoil your lego karma. ;-)

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:55 am

harrelmusic wrote:Generally speaking, you're probably best telling them the truth if they ask, unless you're not planning on shopping there any more. They have rules posted and most stores are flexible to a degree but just telling them something because they can't prove it is a good way to spoil your lego karma. ;-)
I agree with the above. I personally wouldn't have lied about my kid's age at 4 years old. If the sales associate said, "how old is she?" and I said "6" when she was 4, she would have piped up "I'm NOT 6, I'm 4!" and I would have been mortified!

While they don't usually ask for an age, I think it's more likely that the sales associate would say, "how old are you?" to the kid and unless you want to coach your kid to lie, you might be stuck. ;-)

I do believe if you are a regular customer and get to know the staff, that is your best bet. ;-)

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by harrelmusic » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:54 pm

atmail35 wrote:I do believe if you are a regular customer and get to know the staff, that is your best bet. ;-)
That's the key right there, 100%. I was a regular customer long enough to where I ended up working there. :clap:

cmrt1014
Citizen
Citizen

Post by cmrt1014 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Does anyone have a scan of the parts list/directions for this build? In addition to be far too far away to attend, it completely slipped my mind!

Thank you!

Christina

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:35 pm

cmrt1014 wrote:Does anyone have a scan of the parts list/directions for this build? In addition to be far too far away to attend, it completely slipped my mind!

Thank you!

Christina
Here you are.
castle_mini_build.PNG
The trickiest part if working just from the picture would be the layer of plates above the inverted slopes. The two "L"-shaped plates are used in the corners here to lock the lower bricks in place, prior to the arches layer.

Although the build is not complicated, you may be able to get instructions emailed to you from LEGO customer service. I know they did this earlier with the Friends mini-builds this summer.

Happy Building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cmrt1014
Citizen
Citizen

Post by cmrt1014 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:59 am

Thank you very much! I will be contacting customer service for the instructions - they were very quick on the previous "special" builds.

Christina

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:19 pm

In case anyone is interested, margot at brickset posted the instructions on their forum:
http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion ... ent_225558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;