US National Park Service Centennial (LEGO Ideas Proposal)

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

US National Park Service Centennial (LEGO Ideas Proposal)

Post by Toys N Bricks » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:17 am

I don't know how this got past me, but it brings together two things I love: LEGO and the US National Parks. I actually found out about this project while in the gift shop at Mammoth Cave National Park in central Kentucky just a few days ago during my family's annual road trip. They had a postcard-based ad for it at the checkout counter, so it's really cool to see the USNPS getting behind the proposal!

At the time of writing, the proposal has 5,708 supporters, so just a bit over half-way to fully achieving 10,000. If you haven't already, please lend your support to this great idea so we can all bring a little piece of these incredible places home with us.

Having been to about ten National Parks myself, I can imagine the daunting task of boiling down some of these incredible vistas into a small vignette, but so far the project creator, Gavin Gardner (AKA LegoRanger16) has done a great job with the three depicted above: Saguaro, Everglades, and Katmai as well as some additional vignettes revealed in the "Updates" section of the proposal, including the Independence National Historic Park (home to the Liberty Bell), Assateague Island National Seashore, Death Valley National Park, Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park, Yellowstone National Park, and Clara Barton National Historic Site.

What about you, have you been to a US National Park? Which one is your favorite, and how would you depict it in LEGO form?

To support this proposal go to https://ideas.lego.com/projects/96402

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/us-national-park ... -proposal/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

bea
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: US National Park Service Centennial (LEGO Ideas Proposal

Post by bea » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Love that! Supported.

Astericked
I'm New !

Post by Astericked » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:40 pm

Awe man, I was there this past Saturday, would've been great to meet you! I didn't even go in the gift shop, wish I had now!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32 pm

^ HA! We were actually at Mammoth Cave on the morning of Friday the 14th, then in Nashville for a day and a half. We got in the evening of the 14th and went to the Opry, then did the Ryman, Johnny Cash Museum, and the Country Music Hall of Fame that morning.

We're in Pigeon Forge, TN right now, after checking out Chattanooga. We were actually supposed to be sleeping in the three-sided shelter on top of Mt. LeConte in the Smokey's right this very moment after backpacking up, but the weather was questionable after Nashville and we called it off. There's a lot of lightning right now so I think we made the right decision. We're still going to do some day-hikes in the Smokey's on Friday morning.

Pigeon Forge reminds me a lot of Myrtle Beach, lots of those kitschy quirky shops and amusement parks along Parkway. We did Dollywood yesterday, Wild Eagle was awesome, and it was the first roller coaster that goes upside-down that my daughter ever went on. She then proceeded to go on it two more times, last time we waited for the front, which she loved!
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:08 pm

vynsane wrote:^ HA! We were actually at Mammoth Cave on the morning of Friday the 14th, then in Nashville for a day and a half. We got in the evening of the 14th and went to the Opry, then did the Ryman, Johnny Cash Museum, and the Country Music Hall of Fame that morning.

We're in Pigeon Forge, TN right now, after checking out Chattanooga. We were actually supposed to be sleeping in the three-sided shelter on top of Mt. LeConte in the Smokey's right this very moment after backpacking up, but the weather was questionable after Nashville and we called it off. There's a lot of lightning right now so I think we made the right decision. We're still going to do some day-hikes in the Smokey's on Friday morning.

Pigeon Forge reminds me a lot of Myrtle Beach, lots of those kitschy quirky shops and amusement parks along Parkway. We did Dollywood yesterday, Wild Eagle was awesome, and it was the first roller coaster that goes upside-down that my daughter ever went on. She then proceeded to go on it two more times, last time we waited for the front, which she loved!
You're in my area! Dollywood is fun. I've never visited Pigeon Forge but its very popular here. I'm in Central KY. Have a safe trip

While you are in Nashville you should consider checking out the Parthenon replica there. If you are fan of ancient history its amazing!

Athos
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Athos » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:12 pm

I am a huge national park fan. We've been to 25 (I think) of them and a bunch of other NPS sites. I've been thinking about doing something for the Utah parks.

Got a link to the Ideas site?

Steve

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:03 am

I love this idea. The build seems to leave a little bit to be desired but... It looks like it would be very cheap to produce so there is added bonus there.

I would really enjoy some nice outdoor location sets. UCS grand canyon :lol:

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:06 am

StClair wrote:While you are in Nashville you should consider checking out the Parthenon replica there. If you are fan of ancient history its amazing!
I had intended to get up early on our second day there to get some sunrise/morning light shots of the river and Parthenon, and the city in the quietude of morning in general but sleep is nice, so that didn't happen ;-)
Athos wrote:Got a link to the Ideas site?
D'oh! Link added to the original post. :crazy:

Athos
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Athos » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:35 am

lego the hutt wrote:I love this idea. The build seems to leave a little bit to be desired
I agree. They could be really jazzed up a bit. The bell and Clara Barton are pretty good. Death Valley, however, is pretty dull. It seems the builder isn't real good with landscaping. I hope if it gets made the designer will fix that. In the meantime, I may try to do some up.

Steve

Athos
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Athos » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:14 pm

I got inspired to try my hand at some of my own:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37777874@ ... 7259091530

Steve

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:09 am

^ Nice!

Also, found this one while searching for other similar proposals. This one actually includes a few of the same cites as the other proposal, but slightly more advanced builds. It's kinda too bad that it doesn't have as much support, but we can change that:
1911573-o_19l9ge67m11jgfv5tmdsoesq2c-full.png
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102412
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.