LEGO Black Friday 2014 VIP Early Access (USA & Canada) - Today Only

Forum for 2014 Black Friday LEGO sales & deals!
poniemomo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LEGO Black Friday 2014 VIP Early Access (USA & Canada) -

Post by poniemomo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:24 am

Is the calendar in store only, not seeing it my cart.

monkeyflyers
I'm New !

Post by monkeyflyers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:05 am

So the Sale kind of sucked at the Store this morning as in there wasn't anything on sale. They didn't even have the random discount game like they normally do ever year. They did have a goody bag with some stuff in it that has been talked about here. But I think every store was doing things a bit different. Because everyone got a free Turkey set 40091 and the little tiny train ornament set (more on that in a bit) and some Lego wrapping paper.

A pic of what was I got for free

OK the little train set is not going to be avaible to buy or get as a free gift with purchase. They are sending postcards out to like 150 or 1500 (was tired and don't recall which number they said) per store and you can only get the set if you trade it in for that post card.

Also was told that they are going to do the discount game scratch cards for the first 100 people on black Friday and they will be finding out what go's on sale with it on Wednesday.

On the plus side they did have lots of the research institute n stock

legofanatic79
I'm New !

Post by legofanatic79 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:46 am

yes I am completely disappointed with the promotion as last year it was triple VIP points the Christmas gift and star wars exclusive minifigure with star wars pictures and in reality the October month long sale was just as good if not better then this supposed special for VIP card holders. Sorry feeling a little jaded.

legofanatic79
I'm New !

Post by legofanatic79 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:48 am

The in store promotion seems a bit better with the calendar and coupons for minifigures that are included.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:53 am

So I was disappointed that there wasn't price reductions or sales on select items last night but despite what i posted earlier I did make a purchase. I would have liked to have seen some bargain prices but I should always be happy I suppose for free shipping, a free gift and double VIP points. I try to save up VIP points for a year or two so that I can treat myself to more expensive sets like Modular buildings. When making purchases from LEGO shop at home I either purchase items for myself or my son (although I can sometimes find items cheaper on Amazon) OR I purchase sets that I can break apart and sell minifigures and items while keeping all or most of the parts. I feel guilty because I feel that by purchasing many sets that are minifigure heavy I am contributing to the increase of sets being produced that are minifigure heavy (rather than interesting builds) but its a good way for me to acquire parts for my son and I to build MOCs (on my budget I simply couldn't purchase much LEGO for myself). I allow others to purchase the minifigures that they desire without having to pay the price of the full set and I and my son slowly grow our parts collection.

So with this particular purchase I wasn't able to buy anything for my son or myself of interest (because I will not purchase items to keep intact at retail if I can catch them reduced on Amazon or elsewhere) but I was able to purchase items that I can break apart and resell. After selling the free christmas (skate rink) set and minfigures I should be able or nearly able to recover the money spent on the purchase while keeping the build from the Christmas Creator Santa's Workshop plus a Hobbit set. AND I added 10 more dollars to my VIP points so that I can eventually purchase the Parisian Restaurant. So I'll stop complaining.

With what others that have posted have stated hopefully we will still have some discounted sets available to VIP members at Shop at Home on Black Friday. Fingers crossed.

Someone else pointed out its a great time to make small purchases with their free shipping offer on ALL purchases. Great time to purchase small exclusives and PAB items if you don't live near a LEGO store (like myself).

monkeyflyers
I'm New !

Post by monkeyflyers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 pm

I personally feel the Lego company's greed is getting kind of crazy. I would feel different about this if they were having a hard time but it's the complete opposite of that. They are makeing hand over fist and to think their customers they Refuse to put larger items on sell or even allow other stores to put there products on sale. They may make a few more bucks not putting anything on sale but they are going to move a lot less products and lose many customers. Since they have put a hold on larger set sales I have almost totally stopped buying the larger sets where the last year they had sales on the larger sets I would get at least 2 or more of the larger sets . It's very frustrating the way I feel Lego group is going I used to feel like a valued customer. Now I feel used and kind of cheated. Look at how they have raised the price of the Minifigures Series from $1.99 to $3.99 and the plastic quality is really cheap on them compared to the normal Minifigures. I feel If things stay like this I'm not going to be in this hobby much longer.

ss7man
Peasant
Peasant

Post by ss7man » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:20 pm

I stopped buying lego already. I find it overpriced for what you get.

neilbulloch1908
I'm New !

Post by neilbulloch1908 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:14 pm

Maybe If today's promotions fail to generate enough enthusiasm (which is very likely that they will), TLG might get the hint, (which I am afraid it won't) and give us something better for next week. Some people have posted that Lego is a business and that it's not obliged to offer any discounts to their items. However, you have to realize that Lego (for that matter all companies) would have never been this successful if it weren't for us buying their products, so in the end it boils down to maintaining positive relations with your most devoted customers.
It's not like we are asking for free UCS sets, or 50% discounts. Something way less than that and what we got today would have made Brick Friday worthwhile. Unfortunately, it seems that they don't know how to motivate their customers.
Last edited by neilbulloch1908 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:37 pm

No real sales, hoped for Maersk to be %15 off like I think I saw somewhere in Europe but nope, and I didn't even get the reindeer or tree ornament! I got the free 2 of 2 set, wrapping paper, calendar, double VIP-i didn't even get a VIP invitation for today but when I asked about it I was told that as long as I'm VIP ill be fine and ill get all today's deals. I was there by accident, saw horses in PAB wall so I got 2 big cups plus and while trying to Tetris-like fill the cups with as many horses as I could (I stuck 19 in each) I was thinking of what else to buy to get the ice rink. Ended up with vw camper :)
VENI VIDI VICI

legofanatic79
I'm New !

Post by legofanatic79 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes I am completely unmotivated to purchase at this time. I was stoked and was ready to buy the sandcrawler with the hopes for 3 times the VIP points but this has left me feeling like I will pass for now.

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:35 pm

So at 3x VIP you would have gotten ~$45 credit while at 2x VIP would have only been ~$30 for your ~$300 Sandcrawler... Also could have gotten 2nd 2014 Set (resell for $15-20)... If near a store, the 2015 Calendar with additional free products would have been included...

Your loss...

haven
I'm New !

Post by haven » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Looks like this promo expired 9 pm PST today (Canada online store). I was about to pick up a modular building when suddenly all the points went back to normal values.

hikari
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hikari » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:25 pm

scatmanjack wrote:So at 3x VIP you would have gotten ~$45 credit while at 2x VIP would have only been ~$30 for your ~$300 Sandcrawler... Also could have gotten 2nd 2014 Set (resell for $15-20)... If near a store, the 2015 Calendar with additional free products would have been included...

Your loss...
How many of us live near a lego store?
How much time and effort will it take to sell those small freebies?
What's more, at local stores, we used to have scratch cards, pick-a-brick box, bonus Christmas set, and many discounted sets.

For me, local Lego store is around 50 min driving. It is not worth to drive there just to visit a store of this mean company.

Lego became the biggest toy maker this year, even bigger than Mattel which produces many more varieties of toys. In return, Lego gives us this lame deal. Well, :down:

neilbulloch1908
I'm New !

Post by neilbulloch1908 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:02 pm

scatmanjack wrote:So at 3x VIP you would have gotten ~$45 credit while at 2x VIP would have only been ~$30 for your ~$300 Sandcrawler... Also could have gotten 2nd 2014 Set (resell for $15-20)... If near a store, the 2015 Calendar with additional free products would have been included...

Your loss...

I think your argument is a bit hyperbole. I could say that for 4x VIp with Death Star it would have been 1600 (-$80), but it was neither 4x nor 3x VIP points and not everyone can afford, or even plans to buy the most expensive item on the Lego catalog just to prove your point. Plus, the freebies where only for the 1 hour that special invitees got early access to the store, so again, not very useful for the rest of us.
2x VIP isn't that bad, but still, that means there isn't any immediate sales value unless I spend more money than the initial $300. Again, not very realistic for most.

Blacknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Blacknight » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Sometimes I wish Lego would go bankrupt so I could be free of this hobby which feels like a ball and chain and/or money suck sometimes.

hikari
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by hikari » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:44 am

Blacknight wrote:Sometimes I wish Lego would go bankrupt so I could be free of this hobby which feels like a ball and chain and/or money suck sometimes.
I know what you mean.
I collect and have all advanced trains, collectible minfigures, winter villages, modular buildings, Disney princesses, Harry Potters, and some interesting Friend sets, and many random sets. Now that the price increased for CMF, this line became the most expensive. I love those small figures while it seems to be ridiculous to spend so much on them. Selling them all maybe an option.

Toronadian
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Toronadian » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 am

I think the success of The Lego Movie has made this hobby so popular that it can get by without needing to give out discounts because people are coming out and buying Lego in droves. Why discount if the regular customers buy them anyway at full price.

neilbulloch1908
I'm New !

Post by neilbulloch1908 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:43 am

Toronadian wrote:I think the success of The Lego Movie has made this hobby so popular that it can get by without needing to give out discounts because people are coming out and buying Lego in droves. Why discount if the regular customers buy them anyway at full price.
That, and the fact that they are now number one in the toy market, seems to have made them feel that they can't do anything wrong.
However, they quickly forgot how close to the edge they were a few years back and it was consumers that gave them a second chance...I guess that corporate greed has a very short/selective memory.

I decided to go ahead and sent an email to Lego's customer servicing, summing up the basic sentiment towards this year's promotions (tried to put the fear of God in them :shock: :mrgreen: ). They replied that there will be some discounts and that promotions are similar to the European market.
Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I am really sorry that you are disappointed with this year's Black Friday promotion.

There will actually be a discount on selected items as well as the promotional xmas set. the overall promotion is in fact very similar to the one for the European market.

Of course we cannot accept that there is a disappointed customer who thinks this year's promotion is not good enough so I will definitely pass the complaint on to the team in charge of promotion to let them know about your feedback.

We take these kind of comments very seriously and I am sure it will be taken into consideration when programming future promotions.

Once again I would like to apologize if this time we weren't up to your expectations, I can assure you we always try our best to provide our fans with the best offers.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you think.

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Like most people I was disappointed with LEGO Store sales, but after walking into my LEGO room I realized LEGO did me a favor with dismal Black Friday sales. I spun around the 5'7" four-sided metal tower (meant for screws etc) that I filled with LEGO purchased over the years from PAB walls, piles of LEGO all over the floor, LEGO in containers, LEGO everywhere ... Then I walked into my bedroom & I looked at all unopened sets in the closets. And I smiled! I got great pieces years ago when the PAB wall had better selections & good deals on sets over the years. Until I use all the pieces that I own I really don't need to spend more money on LEGO. I will remain pleased with what I have! Of course next year I must get the LEGO Movie set that has Super Angry Kitty - not for me, but to entertain the Unikity who's on a LEGO skateboard on my piano & Queasy Kitty who's on the Sea Cow on my fireplace hearth.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:15 pm

SEK527 wrote:Like most people I was disappointed with LEGO Store sales, but after walking into my LEGO room I realized LEGO did me a favor with dismal Black Friday sales. I spun around the 5'7" four-sided metal tower (meant for screws etc) that I filled with LEGO purchased over the years from PAB walls, piles of LEGO all over the floor, LEGO in containers, LEGO everywhere ... Then I walked into my bedroom & I looked at all unopened sets in the closets. And I smiled! I got great pieces years ago when the PAB wall had better selections & good deals on sets over the years. Until I use all the pieces that I own I really don't need to spend more money on LEGO. I will remain pleased with what I have! Of course next year I must get the LEGO Movie set that has Super Angry Kitty - not for me, but to entertain the Unikity who's on a LEGO skateboard on my piano & Queasy Kitty who's on the Sea Cow on my fireplace hearth.
HA! Well said