Licensed Superhero theme speculation

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego Batman outrageous prices !

Post by darknight » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Ok so i was checking out bricklink and ebay to hopefully buy some lego batman sets. But guess what, the sets are like triple -10X the retail cost. Just look at escape of Mr.Freeze, its like $100 + and the lowest at starting bid is $50. And this set retails at like $10 !!! Thats just outrageous. So for people that have batman lego, now is a great time to make a nice little profit. But for buyers like me, its not that great. How can batman lego be so much more expensive than star wars? I thought star wars was by far more popular than batman..

By the way, when is lego going to make more batman stuff?

ttoole73
I'm New !

Re: Lego Batman outrageous prices !

Post by ttoole73 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't get it either. Must be because they are no longer producing Batman sets.

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darknight » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:30 pm

ttoole73 wrote:I don't get it either. Must be because they are no longer producing Batman sets.
I guess though, but when will they start releasing more lego batman sets? Just really bizard how the prices can triple or even 10X increase only after a few months when they were gone.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Probably due to the short time frame the sets were made to retail. But like most retired licensed sets, they usually do go up in value.

darknight
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by darknight » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:32 pm

legogeek wrote:Probably due to the short time frame the sets were made to retail. But like most retired licensed sets, they usually do go up in value.
Sigh, i'll just pass on on these old batman sets... and be smarter next time when they are out. There wasn't even a sale on the recent batman before they got discontinued.

cvillone
I'm New !

Post by cvillone » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm

I definitely think the huge spike is because there isn't any new lego batman sets in the pipe. I don't even know if they will ever produce them again. Look at Harry Potter, they did the sets for a couple movies and then completed missed the last movie release. So I think the huge price is because you may not see anymore lego batman sets.

swfan
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by swfan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:41 am

cvillone wrote:I definitely think the huge spike is because there isn't any new lego batman sets in the pipe. I don't even know if they will ever produce them again. Look at Harry Potter, they did the sets for a couple movies and then completed missed the last movie release. So I think the huge price is because you may not see anymore lego batman sets.
I think its cause theres a demand for them like most sets especially the license ones. I wonder if indy sets will become like this when they get discontinued?

polywen
I'm New !

Post by polywen » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:13 am

Lego opted to drop the Bat Man License because the recent movies were increasingly dark and grim. They felt t didn't coincide with the target demo of the toy line. As of now, it doesn't appear as if there will be any new Bat Man sets. However, Time Warner recently acquired Travelers Tale, the makers of the various Lego video games. The Bat Man Game was very popular. It is possible this new relation with Lego, Traveler's Tale and Time Warner (who own DC comics and Bat Man) might result in a return of Bat Man Lego, as well as possible other license DC lines. Super Man? If they they can be tied in with a video game and cross promoted, seems like a good fit. They are bringing back the Harry Potter Lego theme as a Traveler's Tale video game. Maybe there might be a few new sets to go with the game.

DarthPaka
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by DarthPaka » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Loved the Lego Batman minfigs!! Just got the Rare Batman w/ dark blue cape and cowl on Ebay, $20 well spent!! Just need Bane, Bruce Wayne & Alfred, and my collection will be complete!!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Licensed Superhero theme speculation

Post by vynsane » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:16 am

MOD NOTE: I've split this topic off the 'Key chains' discussion thread, as it kind of derailed into another discussion.
DarthPaka wrote:more like a small few peeved off and a TON of happy people!! :mrgreen:
QFT - I'd wager only people who bought one on ebay or bricklink would be peeved - the sellers wouldn't be peeved unless they had banked on selling a lot of them for ridiculous prices forever.

That said, do we even know if LEGO still has a license agreement for Batman? It might be over, and judging by the relationship between LEGO and Disney, and with Disney owning Marvel, not likely to happen again.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: Key chains

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:19 am

Batman isn't Marvel though. Its DC comics.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm thinking with a new Batman movie in 2012, the sets will come back like Harry Potter sets are coming back. I'm hoping for LEGO to pick up the Green Lantern movie license.

I am looking for Nightwing's hair, though!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:11 pm

TClone wrote:I'm thinking with a new Batman movie in 2012, the sets will come back like Harry Potter sets are coming back. I'm hoping for LEGO to pick up the Green Lantern movie license.
There's a Batman movie in production I believe at the moment. They're going to CGI the Joker in since Heath Ledger died : |

Green Lantern would be pretty awesome. I wonder how they would do his power though? A lot of transparent green bricks?

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Green Lantern would be awesome. You could build all his ring constructs!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:41 pm

legitimatealex wrote:Batman isn't Marvel though. Its DC comics.
Woah, there... don't think for a moment I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to comics, boy - the two decades or so between my last LEGO set as a kid and my most recent resurgence in LEGO enthusiasm were FILLED with comics (and I still continue to collect).

Also, just kidding with the 'boy' thing - I have no clue how old you are, just thought it would be funny in there.

To clarify, I meant we're likely to NOT see a continuation or resurgence of any LEGO deals with Warner Brothers (the parent company of DC) because of the LEGO deal with Disney (the parent company of Marvel). In other words, we're MORE likely to see Marvel characters come back to LEGO than we are DC characters.

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 am

Can you clarify the LEGO deal with Disney? Any information on this? Or is it simply that LEGO currently has POP and Toy Story sets?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 am

TClone wrote:Can you clarify the LEGO deal with Disney? Any information on this? Or is it simply that LEGO currently has POP and Toy Story sets?
That's about the long and short of it. LEGO and Disney are in business together over the Pixar (it's not just TS, but Cars as well...) and PoP licenses. Disney bought Marvel in order to position itself against WB/DC: They've both been in competition with each other over their animation houses, and now they have opposing comic houses as well.

Extrapolating that Disney wouldn't be too happy with LEGO entering into a new contract with WB, I don't foresee any new Batman LEGO ANYTHING coming anytime soon. We haven't seen anything since 2008, so I have to assume the license is up or we'd at LEAST have seen a magnet set or keychains, as has been suggested. You KNOW they'd make money hand-over-fist if they did, given the demand for some of the more exclusive figures in the aftermarket - of which LEGO doesn't see dime one.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:25 am

That's a good breakdown. Is it possible that in the future though after PoP and Toy Story 3 ends that we could see a return of the Batman sets? These movies wont last forever.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 am

Anything's possible, and this is all idle speculation. Not only that, but LEGO and WB actually DO still have a deal regarding Harry Potter, obviously.

The Disney buyout of Marvel really created a lot of awkward situations. Universal's "Islands of Adventure" (a direct Disney World competitor) has a Marvel-themed section (with a Spider-man 3-D ride and the Incredible Hulk coaster) and is set to open "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" (due to a deal with WB) it's all intermingling. It could very well happen that LEGO makes separate deals with DC and Marvel, but it's highly unlikely. Awesome, but unlikely (I mean, how cool would it be to have LEGO sets of Spider-man and X-men at the same time as Batman and Superman, not to mention LEGO Spider-man or LEGO Avengers video games).

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:24 am

Your talk of the theme parks is something that I've been wondering about as well. My thoughts on it though give me hope for more Batman/DC characters coming to LEGO. If Disney really cared about who LEGO licensed with, they wouldn't have signed up for two separate lines while LEGO licensed Harry Potter.