LEGO 76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier Official Press Release

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
StClair
Count
Count

Re: LEGO 76042 The SHIELD Helicarrier Official Press Release

Post by StClair » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm

I will not be buying it. I like the Avengers but not nearly enough to spend that much on it. I do think its very well built. I think many will be disappointed that its not minifigure scale (play) but it still have play value. Minifigures can rampage through a city when they call in support from the Helicarrier in which case play shifts to the Helicarrier and characters are now microfigures. Or in the case of most kids that would be lucky enough to have such an expensive set they would play on top of it with minifigures. I don't think scale would bother many that would play with it. As for collectors that would display it looks great and this scale allows for easier display and better fit for smaller planes onboard. I agree that less minifigures may impact the long term value BUT many will simply want it to build and display. Check out the MiniModular building set (was it 10230?). I love it. Its one of my favorite sets EVER. I did wait to get it at a discount but I loved building it and liked building it more than I originally anticipated because of its interesting scale. The value of the MiniModular buildings is slowly climbing.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Sinfanti wrote:This is very impressive. Not sure I find the minifigs to be necessary, as they have the new trophyfigs in strong supply with this and their scale matches the set. But minifigs seem to be necessary to keep folks happy when a big pricetag is involved.

What I find interesting in the description is the mention of the specific Power Functions sets. I wonder if that means alternate instructions will be available for incorporating those features. That would certainly make this model even sweeter.
It is probably designed so that you can add the M-motor and battery box from the 8293 power function motor set with minimal fuss and the PF LED lights too.

moo spyker
I'm New !

Post by moo spyker » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:30 pm

$350 and it doesn't even include the 15$ motor lol... pretty sad

swills
Peasant
Peasant

Post by swills » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:05 pm

I know it's apples to oranges a bit but Parisian Restaurant 2469 pieces for $190 (CA) vs this at 2996 pieces for $400.

At least make it seem like I might be getting value for money here. I pretty much exclusively buy $100+ sets when I do spend money, but this is just very overpriced, plain and simple. It's an unhappy pass for me.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:45 am

$350.00 Hhahahahahahaha!! PASS! I"d take two Detective Agencies and a beach hut any day over this.

MotionOTheOcean
Peasant
Peasant

Post by MotionOTheOcean » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:00 am

sstoroe wrote:Hulk Micro would have been awesome! I agree.
Hulk Microfig would just be the Hulk Minifig Poly http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/5000022_The_Hulk

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 am

sstoroe wrote:Hulk Micro would have been awesome! I agree.
MotionOTheOcean wrote:Hulk Microfig would just be the Hulk Minifig Poly http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/5000022_The_Hulk
Which is what I wrote that he was responding to.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 am

I think the Hulk minifigure would be way too big in comparison to the trophyfigs.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 am

vynsane wrote:I think the Hulk minifigure would be way too big in comparison to the trophyfigs.
Yeah. The pictures are very misleading as to how big they really are. I looked at a trophy piece last night. A microfig Hulk might work in comparison to a trophy-fig.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:46 pm

This thing is very cool. This is very close to the scale I like to work in now. I hope the trophy minifigs will become a thing for all epic themes. Star Wars and LOTR would rock with trophy minifigs. The microfigs is what I've been using, but only single non-USA Star Wars and LOTR Game sets have been released.

Could you imagine the these sets with trophy minifigs:
Arrival of the Emperior
Yavin IV Base
Battle of Hoth
Battle of Helm's Deep (non-game and released worldwide)
Rivendale: the Fellowship

On a per piece basis, this is cheaper than the Super Star Destroyer. But I remember the people here didn't like that set either. In both cases, the regular minifigs are not necessary IMO. The people who want to buy sets like these probably don't value those minifigs, but they are happy to sell them for a high price on Bricklink/eBay.

LEGO could strike gold again if they pursue more things with trophy minifigs. Imagine train sets at that scale. Trains that are 3 studs wide. You could create large cities at that scale. Incorporate it with micro-modulars. They would attract new and old hobbyists.

davedude
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by davedude » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:41 am

at first i had only seen the micro figures....wwhheeewww...still a nice set, but would have been nice with some bad guys..

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 pm

SpaceNinjaDino wrote:This thing is very cool. This is very close to the scale I like to work in now. I hope the trophy minifigs will become a thing for all epic themes. Star Wars and LOTR would rock with trophy minifigs. The microfigs is what I've been using, but only single non-USA Star Wars and LOTR Game sets have been released.
YEAH! I would love a trophyfig of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, C-3P0 and (maybe) R2-D2 to accompany my Midi-Scale Millennium Falcon.
On a per piece basis, this is cheaper than the Super Star Destroyer. But I remember the people here didn't like that set either.
Chris "PowerPig" McVeigh created this useful infographic to put the size/price debate into perspective (click to get to the full-res version).

ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:46 pm

SpaceNinjaDino... I agree. Making more with trophy size figures would be great move. Its great building at different scales. So much can be done with LEGO on different scales and I think its right it would attract more fans.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:13 pm

vynsane wrote:
SpaceNinjaDino wrote:This thing is very cool. This is very close to the scale I like to work in now. I hope the trophy minifigs will become a thing for all epic themes. Star Wars and LOTR would rock with trophy minifigs. The microfigs is what I've been using, but only single non-USA Star Wars and LOTR Game sets have been released.
YEAH! I would love a trophyfig of Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, C-3P0 and (maybe) R2-D2 to accompany my Midi-Scale Millennium Falcon.
On a per piece basis, this is cheaper than the Super Star Destroyer. But I remember the people here didn't like that set either.
Chris "PowerPig" McVeigh created this useful infographic to put the size/price debate into perspective (click to get to the full-res version).

The Taj Mahal was an absolute bargain then at over 5,900 pieces for $300 :-)

It looks nice, but I won't be getting it. I don't have the space for it and that is a heck of a lot of scratch.

I did post this at a non-lego forum though and people were seemed pretty excited over it. I bet they get some current non-AFOL's to buy this one.

Stilgar
I'm New !

Post by Stilgar » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm

It is now available to order for VIP members, but it is already out of stock until March 12.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Just saw it at the NJ Paramus store. Big box but not as big as UCS SSD

opa_tj
I'm New !

Post by opa_tj » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Wow. Thanks for sharing.
Really nice. A great collection indeed.