Review: Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Machine 75902

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
StClair
Count
Count

Review: Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Machine 75902

Post by StClair » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:41 pm

Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Machine 75902
Pieces: 301
$29.99 retail (US)
Ages: 6-12
released in August 2015
3 minifigures: Fred, Shaggy, Zombie/Zeke plus standing version of Scooby
Also includes the Mystery Machine and a "robotic" tree
1x Sticker sheet

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4468 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Complete contents of the box
3 numbered bags, 2x instructions booklets and one sticker sheet

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4470 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4471 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4472 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
ALL parts sorted by type (minifigures and accessories, very specific parts like tree parts and window screens and tires, basic bricks, bricks with studs on the side, basic plates, specialized plates...). I find this more helpful than the pages in the back of instructions booklets because they are grouped by type and not color.
I have more information about parts and close ups of each type near the end of the review.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4469 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Oh the sticker sheet... I stressed out a just a little trying to apply these carefully. I'm complaining but still I applaud you LEGO group for creating an official Mystery Machine. Thank you seriously. I understand that it would have cost both the company and customers if the parts were printed. Still... applying those stickers was the least enjoyable part of building the Mystery Machine.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4535 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Shaggy, Zombie/Zeke, Fred
Zombie/Zeke will definitely be the focal point in an army of grey zombies. I love the colors used for Zombie/Zeke. He looks great.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4539 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Shaggy, Zombie/Zeke, Fred (alternate faces... the Zombie only has one expression). I know that Shaggy has different torso in the lighthouse set. I'm not sure about the head. He appears to have a different (unhappy or scared expression) than the alternate expression in the mummy set. I've only seen pictures though so far.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4536 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Back view: Shaggy, Zombie/Zeke, Fred

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4538 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Side view: Shaggy is the only one with printed sleeves

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4537 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4543 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Notice Shaggy doesn't have the "black" on the neck stem... why is this? Is Shaggy manufactured in a different location than the others? All three minifigures have the imprint under their arm (near the arm pit).

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4490 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Scooby is in a small individual bag as shown here

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4492 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
The head is the only moving part and can be rotated 360 degrees

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4494 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
The head fits perfectly onto a "Friends" figure.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4542 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
In this set Scooby has two different expressions... one on either side. I'm very curious to see if the head is the same in all of the sets (except for the Headless Horseman set which has goggles printed around his eyes).

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4541 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Opposite side. Notice the expression is different

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4500 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Scooby attaches easily to LEGO parts but its not the strongest of connections. He can be knocked off the plate much easier than a traditional minifigure

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4493 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4586 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Here's the minifigure accessories that are included with the set. I love the printed tile.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4587 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
The magnifying glass appears be the same that we've seen before.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4544 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Here's the Mystery Machine without stickers

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4548 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
To establish a sense of scale I've taken some photo's of the Mystery Machine with the LEGO Movie Ice Cream Machine and The Monster Fighters Vampyre Hearse

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4549 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Both vehicles would go well with Scooby-Doo sets (Monsters and snacks)

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4551 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4550 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4553 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4552 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4559 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Scooby will fit in the front with another minifigure but not with his feet on studs. He's loose in there. I don't have a sitting version of Scooby yet to see how it fits. Scooby has more space in the back

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4558 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4570 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Its not necessary to take the windscreen off to place minfigs in the front but I removed it to take photo's and it comes off easily. The interior is very plain. Notice how badly I applied that sticker

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4571 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
2x minifigures fit easily in the front

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4572 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Forgive me for the dust on the windscreen. I dusted the Vampyre Hearse before taking photo's. I didn't realize there was dust on the Mystery Machine already (built it only hours before)
Is this the first appearance of this windscreen? I've never seen it before.

Note: I removed a few of the parts on the back of the van to let light into the back of the van. With the back of the van closed it would be dark and difficult to see Scooby.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4561 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
The top is easily removed (only 2x studs holding it). Many may prefer to change that the part with a 1x4 plate to hold it on more securely.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4562 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
The walls hinge open to allow even more access to the back of the van. Those stickers are a pain. It was incredibly difficult to apply those so that they match up.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4563 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
The back is a little crowded with many little details.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4565 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
I think the four orange round tiles represent a stove top. There's a sink underneath the sandwich. Monitors/screens on both sides (both are stickers).

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4564 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
I removed the sandwich to show the sink underneath. I love that they included places to "hang" the flashlight and camera.
ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4567 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Scooby has a special spot to stand in the back.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4566 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Scooby is a little loose on those studs but still it was a nice idea and it makes it easier to place minfigures when facing either the stove, sink or monitors.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4574 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Here's the spooky "robotic" tree with Zombie/Zeke. I chose to not apply the sticker. It would look much better with the sticker.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4575 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
There's a spot for a minifigure to stand (as if he's hiding and looking around?). There is a second sticker that goes on the dark grey slope just below the minfigure's feet. Its appears to be a control panel with buttons and switches.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4585 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
ALL of the stickers are for the Mystery Machine EXCEPT for two. You can see both of those here.

Imagescooby_MysteryMachine_100_4588 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
I should have applied the stickers to the tree. This guy isn't scared at all. He actually looks happy that trees are coming alive.

The rest of my review is details of parts that are included in the set.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4478 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Basic bricks

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4479 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Specialty bricks

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4488 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
All of the regular plates

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4487 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Wedge plates and round plates (that's dark brown and not red brown or black)

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4481 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Special plates

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4485 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Plates with studs on the side

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4486 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Tiles and other similar parts

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4484 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Technic and other various parts

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4483 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Panels and other similar parts

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4476 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Printed parts. Will each Scooby Doo set have different printed tile with some sort of clue newspaper or map?

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4475 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Parts generally used for a specific purpose (wheels, trees, windscreen)

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4474 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Minifigures and minifigure accessories (the printed newspaper shown in earlier pic)

Closing

Pro's:
- The Mystery Machine looks great and is well designed
- Its a quick and fun build
- I love the colors that they set includes.
- Excluding the tree there are four figures (counting Scooby)
- Set includes 3 members of the gang (fans only need to pick up the girls in another set)
- Both Fred and Zombie/Zeke are exclusive (currently) to this set
- ALL of the mifigures (and Scooby) look great. The LEGO designers did a great job designing these.
- 2x new hairpieces
- With the minifigs included and the opening back of the Mystery Machine young builders can have a lot of fun playing with the set.

Con's
- Sigh... the stickers. The pressure of trying to apply those stickers was overwhelming for me. Young builders will definitely need to get some help with those
- Zombie/Zeke... this is me just being incredibly picky... doesn't have a face that can be revealed when they "unmask" him. All of the other villains in the other sets do. Granted they have a helmet or hairpiece to cover the back of their head so that the alternate face would be covered. It would have been incredibly awesome if there was a complete second head for Zombie Zeke. I know.. I'm being too picky. They did add printing to the back of his head so that it appears to be a mask.
- I think it would have been great to have included a female minifigure in this set (either Daphne or Velma). True Fred is usually the driver so it makes sense to include him but they could have replaced (dare I say it) Shaggy with Daphne.

I'm a huge fan of Scooby Doo so this will be a set that I will cherish for a long time. I may even display two (one at home and at work). The set is reasonably priced at $30 US retail and includes 301 pieces and four minifigures (including Scooby) AND there are some fun colors in the set. I'm very pleased with the set and can't wait to incorporate the Mystery Machine and the characters into other builds and environments.

ImageReview_75902_MysteryMachine_100_4533 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

Notice any mistakes? Please forgive me if you find one and let me know. Thanks!

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: Review: Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Machine 75902

Post by grommom » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Great review, i can't wait to get this and the mansion ! I imagine those stickers make you break out in a sweat, how nerve wracking! I love the epic sandwich and scooby's shaky grin, it could either be him afraid or when he's giggling, "he,he,he,he"

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:32 pm

grommom wrote:Great review, i can't wait to get this and the mansion ! I imagine those stickers make you break out in a sweat, how nerve wracking! I love the epic sandwich and scooby's shaky grin, it could either be him afraid or when he's giggling, "he,he,he,he"
Thank you! You're right it could easily be a frightened expression or his goofy giggle. I didn't think of that. I was able to order 1x mansion Friday night. I've waited for months for them to come out. I can't wait to check it out and get the whole gang. I think Shaggy and Velma are my favorites of the gang.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 pm

Looking forward to hearing your impression of the mansion, i think that free pirate bonus might just be enough to get me to order at s@h :)

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:37 pm

grommom wrote:Looking forward to hearing your impression of the mansion, i think that free pirate bonus might just be enough to get me to order at s@h :)
Honestly it was the free pirate bonus that prompted me to quickly order it (that and I had planned ahead and resisted other buys earlier in the year in anticipation for the mansion set).

Pumpkin Ecks
Knight
Knight

Post by Pumpkin Ecks » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Nice review. That alternate smile on Scooby reminds me of Muttley lol

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:36 am

Great review, well done! This is easily the most iconic set and is likely to be incredibly popular. It's also the only set to feature Fred. I just think it's too bad it's so difficult to get the entire gang, but I guess LEGO took the "Hey, gang, let's split up!" idea to heart ;-)

Seriously, though, they could have toned down the amount of Shaggy and Scooby figures in this release.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

gschubert
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by gschubert » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:01 am

grommom wrote: I imagine those stickers make you break out in a sweat, how nerve wracking!
That's right, they were for me, especially the longer ones. The most difficult stickers and probably the most crucial, are the two Mystery Machine stickers on each side. You cannot get them too close to the edge because there is a joint which swings outward, but you cannot really get them to line up to appear continuous.

Marcus70
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by Marcus70 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks for the review! This review made me go out and get the Mansion set with the free classic pirate bonus set at my local lego store this weekend (in order to get the rest of Scooby-Doo gang) . :)

craan
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by craan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Like, groovy!!

Cadenreigns
I'm New !

Post by Cadenreigns » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 am

Great review, I too was a little worried about the stickers being straight and matching. My only miff with this set is that the way it comes you can't fit the whole gang in it, but after some tinkering I found a good way to fit one or two more figs without losing anything using only a few swapped parts.
http://imgur.com/a/Ua6A3
swapping out two of the pieces that keep the siding in place allows for a fig to stand on either side of Scooby without getting in the way of the computers or anything else.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:03 pm

Pumpkin Ecks wrote:Nice review. That alternate smile on Scooby reminds me of Muttley lol
Muttley... nice. I love Wacky Races.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 pm

vynsane wrote:Great review, well done! This is easily the most iconic set and is likely to be incredibly popular. It's also the only set to feature Fred. I just think it's too bad it's so difficult to get the entire gang, but I guess LEGO took the "Hey, gang, let's split up!" idea to heart ;-)

Seriously, though, they could have toned down the amount of Shaggy and Scooby figures in this release.
Thank you!
I agree. I understand why they split characters up into different sets but like you said they really could have interchanged Scooby or Shaggy with someone else in at least one set. I think its a shame that they didn't include one of the girls in one (even one) of the cheaper sets. While Shaggy and Scooby are insanely popular characters from the show I'm sure that there are fans out there that prefer Fred, Daphne or Velma. Velma may actually be my favorite (although Shaggy and Scooby are close second and third).

I'm wondering if we may get a Scooby polybag in the future (although its not on any list that I've seen). It would be nice for some to see either of the girls in a polybag but I would prefer to see another villain.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:14 pm

gschubert wrote:
grommom wrote: I imagine those stickers make you break out in a sweat, how nerve wracking!
That's right, they were for me, especially the longer ones. The most difficult stickers and probably the most crucial, are the two Mystery Machine stickers on each side. You cannot get them too close to the edge because there is a joint which swings outward, but you cannot really get them to line up to appear continuous.
So it wasn't just me? I noticed the same thing... the first letter "Y" in "Mystery" doesn't line up exactly. I think they were trying to allow for space (between stickers at the edge of the panel piece) or something but it didn't seem to work exactly right. I'm still very happy with it. Even if they had misspelled it I would have been happy :-D

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Marcus70 wrote:Thanks for the review! This review made me go out and get the Mansion set with the free classic pirate bonus set at my local lego store this weekend (in order to get the rest of Scooby-Doo gang) . :)
Thank you! You're very welcome! I'm glad that it was a help to others.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Cadenreigns wrote:Great review, I too was a little worried about the stickers being straight and matching. My only miff with this set is that the way it comes you can't fit the whole gang in it, but after some tinkering I found a good way to fit one or two more figs without losing anything using only a few swapped parts.
http://imgur.com/a/Ua6A3
swapping out two of the pieces that keep the siding in place allows for a fig to stand on either side of Scooby without getting in the way of the computers or anything else.
Great idea and thanks for sharing. I like your idea (and photo's of the changes). When I get some time I may play around with your idea (at the moment I'm waiting for the rest of the gang to arrive in the mail) and Zombie/Zeke and Fred both for some reason are in the front seat (with frightened face) freaking out while looking at each other

dho7622u
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dho7622u » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Great review! I bought it, myself, last week when I saw it at a local store. It is a great build...but those stickers made me cry a little. Oh, the stickers.

david

vorpalblade
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by vorpalblade » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:14 pm

I agree, wonderful review and a lovely set, but those side stickers.. I've been waiting for a decaf day to actually get them on right.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Always nice to get feedback after a review. I've taken lots of pictures of both the Mystery Mansion and the Haunted Lighthouse so that I can do a review (need to take a few more of the Mystery Mansion) but I may never get around to actually doing a review. Work is keeping me pretty busy at the moment. I uploaded only a FEW pictures to my flickr account. Most of them are of the minifigures. Here's my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/116332433@N07/ . Here's a direct link to a picture (on my flickr account) of all of the parts/contents in the Haunted Lighthouse https://www.flickr.com/photos/116332433 ... ateposted/ if anyone finds that useful. I haven't done this for the Mansion set yet (maybe this weekend). They are both great sets for Scooby-doo fans. I prefer the Mystery Mansion over the Haunted Lighthouse slightly.

I'll create a review for one or both if I find the time but if someone else beats me to it thats fine but honestly I may never get around to it. Thanks everyone.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks again for the detailed review, finally found this at legoland California and got 10% off with my passholder discount so it was extra sweet. I just need my mansion to come in from my s@h order, it said it shipped and i already got my pirate bonus :)
That's supposed to be a Christmas gift but may have to be a Halloween gift because it looks so cool and will go nicely with Halloween :)