New UCS Death Star 75159

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
rexx
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: New UCS Death Star 75159

Post by rexx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am

From what I've read here and from other forums, there seems to be a common disappointment with the re-release of the UCS Death Star 75159. Whether you're a AFOL or investor there's no real desire to buy 75159 so what was TLG thinking? With the release of Rogue One, there will likely be some new fans interested in the DS but not really knowing these older characters I don't see them making the link. If TLG made significant changes like all new Rogue One characters and play, then sure, that would make sense.

I would imagine there's a large effort on TLG's part to go through the whole process of retiring 10188 that was available for 8 years and re-releasing the same set that's not going to sell well, why do it? Am I missing something here?

TLG are in the business of making $$$ but I don't see 75159 being a big seller.

On the other hand, if they released an updated Awakens UCS Millennium Falcon, I'd see it as a win-win-win.
AFOL who missed the opportunity on the first UCS Falcon would be lining up to get the updated version.
The original UCS Falcon would still hold its value since so few originals where made with original characters not available on the new release.
And new fans of Rogue One would make the link with the new characters and story play.

OK, yes, I want a UCS Falcon. I really really want a UCS Falcon. And I would be willing to dish out the $400 US that a re-release would cost but I can't see paying the going price for the original. I'm sure I'm not alone seeing all the brickset versions available.

So, if TLG is looking for a home run, re-release the UCS Falcon.

ohiobricker
I'm New !

Post by ohiobricker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:33 am

Good grief! LEGO blogs are becoming as angry as political message boards. I couldn't care less about this set or any Star Wars set, really, but at least it includes 4 or 5 times as many Minifigs as the Disney Castle did.

rexx
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by rexx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:35 am

Hey, that could be another great idea. SW CMF series. :-D

unduli
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by unduli » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

I honestly think the person who said Disney's logo needs to be on the box hit the nail on the head. Obviously very little effort was put into updating this, they did the laziest of mini-fig updates but left the rest the same. I think having a Star Wars set this iconic and expensive is something they want on the shelves for awhile (given the long run of the original), and I think Disney wants to be certain that they're part and parcel of the Star Wars brand.

Silver_Bubble
I'm New !

Post by Silver_Bubble » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:50 pm

From what i can tell, this set is nothing more than a reboot of the older Death Star from 2008 (10188). It is really for those who missed the opportunity to buy the Death Star Set before it was taken of the shelves. If you already bought the older Death Star, there really isn't a point in buying this one. Since I missed the opportunity to buy the last one :cry: , I look forward to buying this one. There are several factors that compel me to buy this set, first, the updating of the minifigures, there are more imperial officer minifigures (I like these minifigures), and how TLG corrected the RA-7 protocol droid (the black droid), with the correct head shape.

I look forward to purchasing this set, but I have two minor complaints about it (these complaints are more of pet peeves really). I like that they have a Death Star Astromech (R3-M3), but they replaced R2-Q5. This isn't really that much of a complaint, since I can buy R2-Q5 by itself. My other minor complaint is this, one of the imperial officers (the one in light grey) seems to represent Moradmin Bast (An Imperial Officer shown in the Death star meeting room, he also asked Tarkin to evacuate the Death Star). Now I still like the officer minifigure, but the uniform color is wrong for said character, and the ranking badge does not match, you can see this image for reference http://www.imperialchicks.com/profiles/images/bast.jpg (this clear picture shows his ranking badge very clearly. Now go to http://brickset.com/sets/75159-1/The-Death-Star, click images, and scroll until you see an officer in a light gray uniform. Compare the two.

Either way, I am a huge Star Wars fan, and Moradmin Bast is a minor character, so i guess its ok :-D, oh and also even though he may not look right, he still looks very high ranking, so he would look good in the conference room aboard the Death Star

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:00 pm

This set has been around for the longest time ever - around 8 years! Now consider this was a period with very little Star Wars related activity - I mean movies. So in essence this set is the golden hen of Lego Star Wars - why would Lego need / want to make a product better when it has already been best so far (no many sets of this price range live this long) the only thing missing with the older iteration was updated mini figures - now you have them :) this re-release will hurt scalpers / investors the most especially folks who bought number of these behemoths early this year in the grand hopes for an exponential profit.

Rule no.1 of Lego investing - sets that live the longest retail / shelf life bring marginal benefits. Fine example is the current modulars - pet shop / cinema / Parisian restaurant/ vw camper - return on investment for these assets will take atleast 5 years after retirement. Is it even worth it to carry sealed boxes in perfect conditions that long.

Lego is a toy if you are not building it and having the time of your life... Then you are missing the entire point, stop flipping for a profit go play.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:02 pm

rexx wrote:From what I've read here and from other forums, there seems to be a common disappointment with the re-release of the UCS Death Star 75159. Whether you're a AFOL or investor there's no real desire to buy 75159 so what was TLG thinking? With the release of Rogue One, there will likely be some new fans interested in the DS but not really knowing these older characters I don't see them making the link. If TLG made significant changes like all new Rogue One characters and play, then sure, that would make sense.

I would imagine there's a large effort on TLG's part to go through the whole process of retiring 10188 that was available for 8 years and re-releasing the same set that's not going to sell well, why do it? Am I missing something here?

On the other hand, if they released an updated Awakens UCS Millennium Falcon, I'd see it as a win-win-win.
AFOL who missed the opportunity on the first UCS Falcon would be lining up to get the updated version.
The original UCS Falcon would still hold its value since so few originals where made with original characters not available on the new release.
And new fans of Rogue One would make the link with the new characters and story play.

OK, yes, I want a UCS Falcon. I really really want a UCS Falcon. And I would be willing to dish out the $400 US that a re-release would cost but I can't see paying the going price for the original. I'm sure I'm not alone seeing all the brickset versions available.

The UCS falcon is on for next year to celebrate the anniversary

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:04 am

If you want to save money, you can buy 10188 on ebay.

rexx
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by rexx » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:17 am

Brickred wrote:
rexx wrote:From what I've read here and from other forums, there seems to be a common disappointment with the re-release of the UCS Death Star 75159. Whether you're a AFOL or investor there's no real desire to buy 75159 so what was TLG thinking? With the release of Rogue One, there will likely be some new fans interested in the DS but not really knowing these older characters I don't see them making the link. If TLG made significant changes like all new Rogue One characters and play, then sure, that would make sense.

Dude, don't toy with my emotions... :eek:

I guess I'll just have to wait until next year. My other plan was to start applying for a job at TLG.

Has it been 40 years of Sci-Fi extravaganza already?

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:56 pm

rexx wrote:
Brickred wrote:

Dude, don't toy with my emotions... :eek:

I guess I'll just have to wait until next year. My other plan was to start applying for a job at TLG.

apparently 40 years passes by quick... :) welcome to 2017!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:22 am

rexx wrote:
Nope, it will be 50 years this Thursday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY STAR TREK! :-D

rexx
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by rexx » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Interesting, I couldn't find the new DS under the Canadian Site but I could under the UK site...

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Death-Star-75159 for 400 pounds. Shows coming soon, Sept. 30th.

Then, switch to the Canadian site and it shows as unavailable in your country for $599 CAN.

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/Death-Star-75159

stevebuscemi
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by stevebuscemi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:12 pm

If they are going to do some boring near-identical remake, they should've gone with the Death Star II, MF, or Imp Star Destroyer. Or like half the old UCS sets that are too expensive for most of us to buy.