New UCS Death Star 75159

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
rexx
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

New UCS Death Star 75159

Post by rexx » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:23 am

There does appear to be a set number 75159 but very little details.

Perhaps for the Rogue One movie coming out in December.

IMHO, its too soon after just retiring the 10188.

I was really hoping for an updated UCS Awakens Millennium Falcon.

rexx
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: New UCS Death Star 75159

Post by rexx » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Leaked... pictures of the back of the box.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/ ... _box_back/

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:56 am

Remakes are the in thing right now at LEGO. I'm okay with that, not okay with a remake just for a price increase.

rexx
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by rexx » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:24 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:Remakes are the in thing right now at LEGO.
If by "right now", you mean for "the last 20 years". :P

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Morgan19 wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:Remakes are the in thing right now at LEGO.
If by "right now", you mean for "the last 20 years". :P
Name some then? They had the legends line when the company was going under, but the they have redone the Winter Toy Shop, this and probably a modular soon. But for ten years LEGO never remade anything. (Besides their pirate sets always being the same, but not exact remakes. :lol: )

captainrex803
Knight
Knight

Post by captainrex803 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:48 am

I'm not very impressed with this one; I feel it is just a rehash of the last Death Star. This is the second Lego Star Wars UCS in a row I'm not at all excited for.
Look, you wake up one day, and your legs, they just give and you just can't run anymore.

Morgan19
Knight
Knight

Post by Morgan19 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:22 am

Brick & Blue wrote:Name some then? ... But for ten years LEGO never remade anything.
I thought maybe you were kidding at first, but you're serious?

Remakes in the SW line--in which the Death Star belongs and is what prompted my original reply--have been almost non-stop since 1997. This is literally off the top of my head, but (multiple) remakes all exist for the x-wing, snowspeeder, landspeeder, AAT, AT-AT, AT-ST, MTT, variations on Hoth, Millenium Falcon, A-Wing, B-Wing, V-Wing, etc. I'm sure I could dig up more if I spent a few minutes researching it, but "LEGO has never remade anything" is an odd thing to say when talking about the DS here.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:27 am

Disney is the new owner of the SW property and their brand was not on the 10188 Death Star boxes. Can't be selling Disney's properties without Disney branding on it. ;-)

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 pm

Morgan19 wrote:
Brick & Blue wrote:Name some then? ... But for ten years LEGO never remade anything.
I thought maybe you were kidding at first, but you're serious?

Remakes in the SW line--in which the Death Star belongs and is what prompted my original reply--have been almost non-stop since 1997. This is literally off the top of my head, but (multiple) remakes all exist for the x-wing, snowspeeder, landspeeder, AAT, AT-AT, AT-ST, MTT, variations on Hoth, Millenium Falcon, A-Wing, B-Wing, V-Wing, etc. I'm sure I could dig up more if I spent a few minutes researching it, but "LEGO has never remade anything" is an odd thing to say when talking about the DS here.
I don't any of the Star Wars vehicles being made again remakes, because they aren't. They are normally quiet different and when they aren't they have a new character and a new place.

The Death Star is a 98% remake of the Death Star 2 that just stopped being sold less than a year ago. It's like saying every three years LEGO remakes a police station, they don't, they make a new one.

captainrex803
Knight
Knight

Post by captainrex803 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Morgan19 wrote:
non-stop since 1997
Not to nitpick or anything (although I guess that was the whole reason for replying in the first place), but I thought LEGO Star Wars came out in 1999?
Look, you wake up one day, and your legs, they just give and you just can't run anymore.

Yogibara
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Yogibara » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:42 am

I'm not sure why I'm raging over this re-release as much as I am. Perhaps it's because I waited 8 years for the first set to retire only for them to release a "new and improved" set less than a year later. Or is it, as an investor, I feel like I pissed $400 down the drain. I think I'm going to sell it and buy some nanoblock. :evil:

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:30 am

As with any types of investments and speculations, there are risks. Past performance does not guarantee future outcomes.

-----

It is coming out at the end of the month, just in time for double VIP points in North America.

sgogeta4
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by sgogeta4 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:57 am

If it's unopened, I'll buy it :D

Yogibara
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Yogibara » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:32 am

dr_spock wrote:As with any types of investments and speculations, there are risks. Past performance does not guarantee future outcomes.

-----

It is coming out at the end of the month, just in time for double VIP points in North America.
Well said. Still ticks me off though. Just goes to show that no person, company, topic, etc. is without controversy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:44 am

Well, I'm glad a got rid of my sealed 10188 before this news came out. Still wish my kid liked Star Wars, though...

wyldjedi
Citizen
Citizen

Post by wyldjedi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:02 pm

The 'new' Death Star is both fine to me, but also a bit annoying. On the positive end, this is good for people who never got the old version. It looks like there are some minor improvements. There really is no need to get this if you have the old. No need to waste $400 (or now $500) for a new set.

The neutral side of it reminds me of all the various Hoth sets that have come out in the past 4 years or so. Many of those, like the snowspeeder, had few changes. To some degree, that sets the precedent that there does not need to be too many drastic changes. On the other hand, the Sandcrawler got a major overhaul. The X-Wing has gone through many adjustments as well. However, those are all still the same vehicle or basic sets with various amounts of design tweaks. If they were going to make an updated version, it should highlight more than just a change in minifigures. Perhaps some different rooms/scenes, or the current rooms in the set made to fit more of the level than a tiny pie wedge.

What annoys me is more due to my personal taste. I would rather have a different DS altogether. Either similar to the DS2 UCS set, or a completely different style of playset. The basic skeleton of this wastes far more pieces than necessary. A modular playset would be awesome. No, not like the recent Hoth set, but more like the city/building modulars to some degree. Some basic skeletons of rooms that have various scenes depicted, but still can connect in various ways sort of like the Rancor pit and Jabbas Palace. Imagine having a 4 or 5 larger rooms that can connect in various ways, so you can change it any way you want. Then, as time goes by, Lego could release new 'rooms' to add to the set, extending even further. I don't necessarily care about a DS being UCS, just designed for better play.

MoneyHypeMike
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by MoneyHypeMike » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks LEGO, I can buy Disney castle & the Volkswagen Beatle instead.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Yogibara wrote:I'm not sure why I'm raging over this re-release as much as I am. Perhaps it's because I waited 8 years for the first set to retire only for them to release a "new and improved" set less than a year later. Or is it, as an investor, I feel like I pissed $400 down the drain. I think I'm going to sell it and buy some nanoblock. :evil:

Hmmm... someone doesn't understand the first rule of investing.

Also LEGO is a toy company and couldn't care less about your 'investments', they only care about themselves.

My problem with the set, why not actually update it. Maybe make the thing be stable and come apart, or have interchanging rooms.

Instead we get a few different mini figures, that aren't special, and that's it.

jmeninno
Knight
Knight

Post by jmeninno » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Oh wise brick &blue...what is the first rule of investing? I'm not a scalper but I do have a few sets I am holding onto in hopes of selling, one day, in order to fund my some of my kids college expenses...or additional Lego...