10254 Holiday Train Creator Expert LEGO Official Press Release

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Re: 10254 Holiday Train Creator Expert LEGO Official Press R

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:44 pm

The problem with the Ghost Train is it didn't use train parts really.

The current trains have been onside for $82-$102 for the passenger train to $95-$135 for the blue cargo train. They always go onside, they also have HUGE parts and motors and such. And once again, they go on sale, the Holiday train won't. But that's what you get for being a train in a holiday theme.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:55 am

For $100 we got Emerald night. A far superior set. Alittle bit disappointed with this set.

auralgami
Peasant
Peasant

Post by auralgami » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 am

The price is only good in comparison to the older holiday train's now-ridiculous after-market values and other trains.

By itself, it's Star Wars pricing for a non-licensed, non-motorized Lego set. Smaller than the original, with fewer of everything, for more money. Though it does come with track.

I can see the appeal, and compared to what you'd have to pay to get an older set now, it's a decent price. On its own, though, it's kind of pricey. I probably would have gotten it had it been $79.99, but as I don't really have anywhere to put a giant circle of track, I'll be putting my Lego dollars elsewhere.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Yes. People are comparing the set to old sets from years and years ago. There is inflation. There is also theme. The old train sold poorly and was half off after rChristmas in 2006 when I bought it. This set will never go on sale and still sell out.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:38 pm

slacker wrote:For $100 we got Emerald night. A far superior set. Alittle bit disappointed with this set.
Wow! Emerald Night was beautiful (Just looked it up.. I didn't pay attention to the trains back then). I missed out on that one.

anakinisvader
Knight
Knight

Post by anakinisvader » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by lego the hutt » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:51 am

Basically what he ^ said.

Sure the ppp is a little high. These winter village sets are such a limited release that we all know we won't be able to wait for a sale and Lego takes advantage of that. I'm ok with it.

Both the yearly winter village set and the city/SW advent calendars have become sort of a tradition in our household at this point.

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:41 pm

surprised no one else has made a comparison to the original 2007 holiday train 10173

that was $90usd for over 900 pieces or about 9-10 cents a piece. When inflating to 2016 dollars it comes to about 13 cents per piece based on quick math but other posters should do a more detailed comparison.

I sold my 10173 in misb for about $500 a few years back, so not sure whether this will reach that level but will get one for sure.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:36 pm

I'm torn, I love the idea of a Christmas train but it seems so much for a non motorized train. Can you buy those parts separately from Lego or would I have to go aftermarket? I've avoided trains so far because all the ones I've seen look too modern for my taste. The boys have a duplo train they love but it's because it moves on it's own. I'm not sure if I should get this or hold out for a more old fashioned train with everything in one set in a future release since the duplo train is probably ok for another 2 years.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:50 am

grommom wrote:I'm torn, I love the idea of a Christmas train but it seems so much for a non motorized train. Can you buy those parts separately from Lego or would I have to go aftermarket? I've avoided trains so far because all the ones I've seen look too modern for my taste. The boys have a duplo train they love but it's because it moves on it's own. I'm not sure if I should get this or hold out for a more old fashioned train with everything in one set in a future release since the duplo train is probably ok for another 2 years.
I don't remember the last time LEGO made an old fashion train that game with a motor. Thankfully we have Brickiest and they said it was 2004. You would just be better off buying whatever train you like and the high speed passenger train, it's been $80-$105 often.

However one could argue we are do for one with an engine too. I think the issue is the coal car and old style train don't fit the new system of powering the trains well.

grommom
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by grommom » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:
grommom wrote:I'm torn, I love the idea of a Christmas train but it seems so much for a non motorized train. Can you buy those parts separately from Lego or would I have to go aftermarket? I've avoided trains so far because all the ones I've seen look too modern for my taste. The boys have a duplo train they love but it's because it moves on it's own. I'm not sure if I should get this or hold out for a more old fashioned train with everything in one set in a future release since the duplo train is probably ok for another 2 years.
I don't remember the last time LEGO made an old fashion train that game with a motor. Thankfully we have Brickiest and they said it was 2004. You would just be better off buying whatever train you like and the high speed passenger train, it's been $80-$105 often.

However one could argue we are do for one with an engine too. I think the issue is the coal car and old style train don't fit the new system of powering the trains well.
Thanks, I may have to buy this and tuck it away for a future Christmas and keep my eyes peeled for another train I can cannibalize :-)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:57 am

slacker wrote:For $100 we got Emerald night. A far superior set. Alittle bit disappointed with this set.
Emerald Night is undoubtedly a great set, but you're not comparing apples to apples. It came out in April of 2009 - 7.5 years ago. It would most certainly cost more than $100 if released today. Aside from that, sure it has 1085 pieces, but all are used to construct the engine, tender, and passenger car - the main difference is that the Holiday train comes with 16 track pieces, which easily accounts for $20 of the entire cost of the set. That would make the price $80 for 718 pieces, which is very comparable to the Monster Fighters Ghost Train.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive