10254 Holiday Train Creator Expert LEGO Official Press Release

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

10254 Holiday Train Creator Expert LEGO Official Press Release

Post by Toys N Bricks » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:00 am

A new LEGO exclusive set is coming soon! 10251 Creator Expert Winter Holiday Train will be available beginning October 1st, 2016. The set will be for sale exclusively at LEGO Brand Stores and LEGO Shop at Home. Additional pictures available on TnB Flickr Photostream.

10254 Winter Holiday Train

Ages 12+. 734 pieces.

US $99.99 - CA $129.99 - DE 89.99€ - UK £69.99 - DK 799.00 DKK

*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Climb aboard the magical Winter Holiday Train!

Gather the family for some festive LEGO® building fun with this charming model featuring a full circle of track, boarding platform with bench and lamppost, a Power Functions upgradable train engine with brick-built smoke bellowing from its stack, coal tender, flatbed wagon with a rotating holiday tree, toys and gifts, and a red caboose with a detailed interior and table. The train engine also features large and small red-colored locomotive wheels and the train is decorated with green wreathes, string lights and white tree elements. This LEGO® Creator Expert set includes 5 minifigures.

Includes 5 minifigures: a locomotive driver, ticket collector, grandmother, boy and a girl.
The Winter Holiday Train includes 16 curved pieces of track, engine, coal tender, flatbed wagon with holiday tree, toys and gifts, caboose, boarding platform, bench and a lamppost.
Decorate the tree and drive the train to see the tree rotate.
Join the ticket collector in the cozy caboose for a delicious cup of cocoa.
Includes dual building instructions for a perfect family build.
Accessory elements include green wreathes, decorative lights and white tree pieces, plus wrapped gift elements and tiny brick-built toys, including a micro train, wind-up car, fire truck, remote controlled robot, sailboat and a spaceship.
Upgrade with LEGO® Power Functions (not included) for a motorized engine.
Special elements include small and large red train wheels, dark tan windows, train buffers, cow catcher, white tree elements and roller skates.
This set includes over 700 LEGO® pieces, including 16 curved tracks.
The Holiday Train in total measures over 4” (12cm) high, 20” (52cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
Curved rail track diameter measures over 27” (70cm).

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/10254-holiday-tr ... s-release/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Re: 10254 Holiday Train Creator Expert LEGO Official Press R

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:27 am

This looks amazing.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 am

It's barely a train, there needs to be a passenger car, however the styling of it is amazing. If we don't get a matching station next year I will be disappointed.

payam81
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by payam81 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:10 am

Looks amazing! Price is reasonable too.

I had to check to make sure it's not April 1st! :razz:

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:55 am

Nice train to complement the Winter Village sets.

The red car at the end is a passenger car. ;-)

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:27 am

dr_spock wrote:
Not really, that's the caboose, that's different. :-)

melsig
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by melsig » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:It's barely a train, there needs to be a passenger car, however the styling of it is amazing. If we don't get a matching station next year I will be disappointed.
Yes, I'm disappointed there isn't a passenger car, too. Still, I'll be buying one for sure...

scatmanjack
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by scatmanjack » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Why are they including extra red wheel?

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:04 pm

This might be my first LEGO train! Love it!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:14 pm

Just done watching the designer video. I am not the big fans of Christmas theme (due to limited budget), but no doubt this is one of the best set in 2016. I believe TLG could boost their sale volume if they set the MSRP at $79.99 instead of $99.99. Anyway, I may probably put it in my shopping list.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:35 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:
dr_spock wrote:
Not really, that's the caboose, that's different. :-)
I stand corrected. Product description says caboose. :-)

I find it looking more like small passenger car that has small roof windows for sunlight and big side windows for sightseeing. I think the cupola should be taller and side windows smaller and fewer to look more like a caboose.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:40 pm

^I agree, it's a very odd little caboose in a very odd like set.
legohunter wrote:Just done watching the designer video. I am not the big fans of Christmas theme (due to limited budget), but no doubt this is one of the best set in 2016. I believe TLG could boost their sale volume if they set the MSRP at $79.99 instead of $99.99. Anyway, I may probably put it in my shopping list.
If they sell it for $20 they would increase their sale value too! :razz:

Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:45 pm

If it didn't have tracks included it would easily be $80. Then they could sell the tracks separately for customers who don't have them yet.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:15 am

I am creating a new internet short form that i shall be using for things like this.

"TENB"

"Too Expensive, Not Buying."
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:28 am

LOL. The set designer called the caboose a passenger wagon in LEGO's video.

https://youtu.be/6IIpLW1DYa4?t=1m2s

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:54 am

At 99$ this little train set with 5 mini figs + curved tracks is a rip off! TLG is trying / testing a new price point to see how many it can sell as winter exclusives. I wonder how the winter village market v2 did?
At 79$ I was going to get 2 of these to have additional passenger cars but with a 99$ price point.... It's on the waiting list.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Brickred wrote:At 99$ this little train set with 5 mini figs + curved tracks is a rip off! TLG is trying / testing a new price point to see how many it can sell as winter exclusives. I wonder how the winter village market v2 did?
At 79$ I was going to get 2 of these to have additional passenger cars but with a 99$ price point.... It's on the waiting list.
So you would buy two for $160 but not one for $100?

payam81
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by payam81 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:45 pm

The price is roughly in line if you compare it to Ghost Train or Constitution which were $79 and $99 respectively.

Ghost train was smaller physically cause it split the part count with the prop plane and it lacked rails.

So this new train is very similar to Constitution in terms of part count and price but a couple less minifigs and packs flexible tracks vs. straight/curved tracks. Can chalk the missing figs to inflation. :lol:

Contitution didn't do too bad considering it was part of a bust theme. I bet this one will do just fine.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:12 am

Below is the minifigure count, piece count and retail price of each of the 3 current available trains. I'm new to trains so I don't exactly what items are needed to power them. All 3 of the current trains include a remote and I wasn't sure if they included other parts needed to power them or not. The Winter Holiday Train does not come with any of these items (although they can be added to the set) so I felt that it was important to consider this when evaluating the pricing of the set. The remote ordered separately is about $14 as well as other items like a battery box. So I subtracted $50 to allow allow for these parts that may be included in each set. I think $50 is probably being too generous.

60052 Cargo Train 888 pieces and retail price of $199.99 ( $0.22 per piece)
Minus $50 for train remote/etc that is included with set ($0.17 per piece)
4 minifigures and 1 cow

60098 Heavy Haul Train 984 pieces and retail price of $199.99 ($0.20 per piece)
Minus $50 for train remote/etc that is included with set ($0.15 per piece)
5 minifigures

60051 High-Speed Train 610 pieces and retail price of $149.99 ($0.24)
Minus $50 for train remote/etc that is included with set ($0.16 per piece)
3 minifigures

10254 Winter Holiday Train 734 pieces and retail price of $99.99 ($0.13 per piece)
To the best of my knowledge this set does not come with train remote or battery box so I won't subtract $50 as I did with other sets.
5 minifigures

Subtracting the $50 (probably too generous) you can see that actually the Winter Holiday Train may be priced more fairly than the other current trains.

For those (like myself) that have avoided trains because of the seemly high prices (not used to factoring in train trains, remotes and specialized parts) this may be a really good train to start with. Although its not a steal it is much more affordable to buy a train without the remote and things and then add them later if desired.

Personally for me its the train engine that instantly won me over. I had been considered buying my first train for some time now but I preferred a less modern train. IF I buy it I would most likely modify it.

NOTE -I did not count how many tracks or consider types of tracks that are included with each train set. Each of the 4 sets examined DO come with tracks.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:22 am

payam81 wrote:The price is roughly in line if you compare it to Ghost Train or Constitution which were $79 and $99 respectively.

Ghost train was smaller physically cause it split the part count with the prop plane and it lacked rails.

So this new train is very similar to Constitution in terms of part count and price but a couple less minifigs and packs flexible tracks vs. straight/curved tracks. Can chalk the missing figs to inflation. :lol:

Contitution didn't do too bad considering it was part of a bust theme. I bet this one will do just fine.
I agree. I think it will sell well. I think it is priced very fairly when compared to other trains. The Lone Ranger Constitution set is a very good comparison.