[REVIEW] 4736 Freeing Dobby

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
40%
Average
50%
Poor
10%

Total votes: 10

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW] 4736 Freeing Dobby

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 am

Buy Now: $10.99 USA | $14.99 Canada | £10.99 UK

Indexed

4736 Freeing Dobby
Price: $10.99
Pieces: 73
Price Per Piece: $.15
Minifigures: 3
LEGO Description:
With the help of Harry Potter, free Dobby from his master Lucius Malfoy!

Trick Lucius Malfoy into freeing Dobby , the house elf! Then use Dobby to protect Harry Potter and send Lucius flying down the hall with a magic blast as he tries to get revenge in this Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets scene. Includes 3 minifigures: Harry Potter , Lucius Malfoy and Dobby Blast Lucius Malfoy with magic using the push function! Present Dobby with a LEGO sock and set him free! Special set elements include spiders, flames and Tom Riddle's Diary
Found this set at my local Walmart, a long with Hagrid's Hut, which I didn't purchase, along with the Quidditch Match, which I did buy. I am extremely satisfied with this set, if not completely wowed.

I normally don't say too much on the boxes, mostly because you don't buy a LEGO set for the box (if you do, can I have the LEGO pieces you don't need?) but this box is exceptional. It really has a nice color and background, and it has a good Harry Potter feel to it. The actual picture of the set seems strange to me though because it is on the background of the castle, which looks nothing like the set.

Also Dobby has to be some sort of Jedi. How else could he use Force Lightning?

Obligatory back printing showing the playability feature. Also Lucius Malfoy is a Death Eater (Spoilers).

Now onto the minifigures.

I don't think that I'm saying anything particularly shocking when I say that this set is a minifigure set. You're only going to buy this set for the minifigures. There are no particularly surprising 'must have' 'rare' or 'sought after' pieces in this set. You get three minifigures, Harry Potter, Lucious Malfoy and Dobby the House Elf. There are no surprises here.

Harry returns in flesh color and in his school uniform. Right now he is sporting his frumpy angry face. The printing is pretty good, no complaints here.

The back printing on the minifigure isn't the most detailed in the world, but every bit helps. It's just some folds. Harry also sports his happy face on the other side. He's a pretty good minifigure, although his scar sort of limits his reusability, seeing that everyone will see the lightning bolt shaped scar and assume that that is Harry Potter in the scene.

Sadly the wand is his only accessory and it is still huge. They should really switch it out for a smaller sized stick, like the ones they include with some of the smaller Collectible Minifigures.

Lucius Malfoy is up next and he is looking fabulous and like a WASP as usual. Kudos to LEGO for the well dressed minifigure torsos they have been cranking out lately. I approve. His face sports the 'annoyed with the world look' and I could find a million uses for it. His wand is black (although in the movies it's actually a cane with a gem on top, a pity they couldn't recreate that for LEGO. This seems a bit like a cop out.)

Of course, after lavishing so much praise on the front of the torso there is no back printing :cry: It doesn't matter too much though. After all he is wearing a cape. His alternative face is more what should be looked it. It's the Death Eater's mask from the movie. This is a good move by LEGO. People who want to recreate HP scenes are going to need multiple Death Eater faces and by putting one in the cheapest set it makes it more accessible.

Here's Dobby. He comes with little tiny child legs that don't bend :cry: I don't have anything against them but they're so...rigid. I like shorter LEGO minifigures for variety but the sacrifice is great for pose-ability. This new Dobby though is a vast improvement on the previous one, as there is actual printing on it vs. no printing. The torso is great too, although I'm not sure how to reuse the 'wearing a towel' look. Maybe a hobo?

A word of caution though: The eyes on Dobby rub off, so be careful.

He does have back printing, very nice detailed back printing.

He's also equipped with a book, like one that you actually open and store stuff in. Inside is a printed tile of a sock, just like the original Freeing Dobby set. However, unlike the original set, the book has no printing on it. It's just black, inside and out, no detail otherwise.

The actual set itself is pretty much an after thought to the minifigures. There is not much here. There are some dark gray bricks, some light gray bricks, and some tan bricks. Like I said at the beginning, this set offers no surprises with pieces.

The sand green pieces are two cones and three roofing/slope pieces.

I'm not sure why there is a gold stud on the side. I really have no idea.

Sorry for this one being out of focus. From the back you can see that there are some, accented bricks? I'm not sure what to call them. The bricks have little dips in them. There are 4 1x2 gray pieces like this in this set.

The set also comes with a broom and a spider. Why a broom and a spider? Because it is Harry Potter. There is a broom or a spider in every single Harry Potter set, sometimes, usually both. The Quidditch Match comes with 5 brooms, the Hagrid's Hut set comes with 3 spider, etc. etc. You get the idea. If you get all of these sets, you will have A LOT of brooms and spiders. Enjoy them.

I haven't mentioned the hair until now. Lucius is sporting long blonde hair like I haven't seen before. I can't say that it's new, but I definitely don't have any like his. It's a solid piece, no braiding, just blonde hair straight back. Only problem though is that it doesn't stay on with his cape behind him. You have to move Lucius' cape off to the side in order for his hair to stay on. Harry's hair is shaggy black and round.

The 'play' feature in the set is a function to mimic Dobby shooting back Lucius Malfoy. If you remember the large giant stick from the back of the set, this is what it is used for.

Bam, on his back/side. That will show him for being evil and killing puppies, or polluting the environment or whatever dastardly things Voldemort tells him to do. Voldemort kills puppies, right?

So here's the rundown on this set.

I would recommend it. It's a good solid set, pretty great for being in the $10-$11. The pieces aren't amazing but the minifigures are worth getting at least one of these sets. Lucius doesn't come in anything else except Diagon Alley and Dobby doesn't appear anywhere else at all. The book is a nice piece and it can never hurt to have more tan pieces in my opinion.

I would recommend ignoring the Price Per Piece. It is high, but I think this set was worth it. You should probably think of this set more of a battle pack than a regular old set, not saying that it's an army builder but more a 'buy it for the minifigures' sort of deal.

Go out and get this set. I recommend it.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: [REVIEW] 4736 Freeing Dobby

Post by Mantisking » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:47 am

legitimatealex wrote:Image

Here's Dobby. He comes with little tiny child legs that don't bend :cry: I don't have anything against them but they're so...rigid. I like shorter LEGO minifigures for variety but the sacrifice is great for pose-ability. This new Dobby though is a vast improvement on the previous one, as there is actual printing on it vs. no printing. The torso is great too, although I'm not sure how to reuse the 'wearing a towel' look. Maybe a hobo?
How about some sort of Roman slave?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:51 am

It would have to be some sort of slave laborer then. I think downtrodden peasant could work as well.

funnypeople
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by funnypeople » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 am

Though the piece count is low, the minifigures well makeup for it. Thanks for reviewing. ;)

sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by sadowsk1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 am

I just saw the first Harry Potter movie and this set makes more sense to me now. Sock inside of the book, classic. Very nice review.

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:18 pm

sadowsk1 wrote:I just saw the first Harry Potter movie and this set makes more sense to me now. Sock inside of the book, classic. Very nice review.
Chamber of Secrets with Dobby is the second movie. Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone in the US) is the first.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:17 pm

ImmortalShark wrote:
sadowsk1 wrote:I just saw the first Harry Potter movie and this set makes more sense to me now. Sock inside of the book, classic. Very nice review.
Chamber of Secrets with Dobby is the second movie. Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone in the US) is the first.
Yep yep! This is from the end of the movie where Dobby blasts Lucius off his feet when he tricks Lucius into freeing Dobby through a clothing item, the sock, in Tom Riddle's destroyed diary.

Uno Brick
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Uno Brick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:53 pm

Good review! ;) Actually, Malfoy's hairpiece has already been available in a variety of colors in a variety of minifigures: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=40239. The Tan version, however, was only released in one other set, Graveyard Duel. Which makes this a great opportunity to get that piece! :)

I also agree with you on Dobby. The new Dobby is much better than the original that was all tan, with only one-sided torso print. Definitely an improvement.
Check out MOCs by Uno Brick at: http://www.mocpages.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992150@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :-)

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 pm

My mistake! I haven't seen it anywhere else and I assumed it was new. Still rare though so still get this set : )

Thanks for the correction.

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Mantisking wrote:
legitimatealex wrote:Image

How about some sort of Roman slave?
I was thinking a spartan helot. (There the people the spartans conquered)

slimninj4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by slimninj4 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 pm

A few nice parts like the book I really like. The figs are ok though. Avg rating for me.