NinjaGo pronunciation

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

NinjaGo pronunciation

Post by possum » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:12 pm

What is the proper pronunciation of "NinjaGo?" Is it:

1. Ninja. Go.
or
2. Nin-jago

I've people at the Lego store and my sister-in-law say #2, but my brain can't not just say the two words like they're separate. Which is it?
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: NinjaGo pronunciation

Post by Mantisking » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:34 pm

I have no idea. I find the second pronunciation very annoying though.

jsnweitzel
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by jsnweitzel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:37 pm

My seven year old son and his friends have corrected my pronunciation several times.

It is nin-jago. Seems ridiculous to me. Ninja - go sounds better and makes sense. But I recall reading somewhere that ninjago actually means something real or was derived from a real word (probably in japanese).

I think the commercials say nin-jago. That's how the kids know.

Derek
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Derek » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:10 am

jsnweitzel wrote:My seven year old son and his friends have corrected my pronunciation several times.

It is nin-jago. Seems ridiculous to me. Ninja - go sounds better and makes sense. But I recall reading somewhere that ninjago actually means something real or was derived from a real word (probably in japanese).

Really? I thought I heard the commercial say "Ninja Go." And, yes, I was a dork and watched the commercial just to see how it was pronounced. Of course I could be wrong. My memory is older and less sharp than a 7-year old's now. :oops:

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:39 pm

possum wrote:What is the proper pronunciation of "NinjaGo?" Is it:

1. Ninja. Go.
or
2. Nin-jago

I've people at the Lego store and my sister-in-law say #2, but my brain can't not just say the two words like they're separate. Which is it?
I believe they used Nin-jago in the Cartoon Network special, but I've allways said Ninja. Go. ;-)
Derek wrote:
jsnweitzel wrote:My seven year old son and his friends have corrected my pronunciation several times.

Really? I thought I heard the commercial say "Ninja Go." And, yes, I was a dork and watched the commercial just to see how it was pronounced. Of course I could be wrong. My memory is older and less sharp than a 7-year old's now. :oops:
Yep. If you listen real close, they actually say "Nin-jago." The announcer makes the A in Nin-jago sound like an A, instead of making it sound like a U, like when you say the word Ninja :crazy:
If you want proof, here's a link to Lego.com: http://ninjago.lego.com/en-us/World/Videos/Default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by anthonyj8 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:34 pm

My memory's not as sharp as a seven year old's any more either, but my English skills are. I'm chalking this up to "English speakers say it how they're comfortable so as not to sound like a 1950s Asian stereotype." The way the young folks are saying it sounds silly. It's funny, I really looked at this as a tweenagers ninja line, for lack of a better description. I picked up a few small sets here & there, then got the Earth Dragon. That sold me on it.

I may start adding a noticeable pause between words to make people uncomfortable. :D Ninja. Go.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:38 pm

I was calling it "Ninja-Go, but that's wrong. I saw a commercial for it and they called it Nin-jago. I find it annoying and just stupid. Why Spell it NinjaGo when it's pronounced "Nin-Jago"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSupkE2ijYc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:49 pm

They don't spell it NinjaGo, they spell it Ninjago or NINJAGO - there is no capitalized G by itself. I only know one other person who even knows what it is, but she says "nin-JA-go" per the commercials, because she has a 12 y/o step-son whose friends are all into it who also call it that. He told me the secret to spinning well really IS to yell "nin-JA-go" out loud as you do it. I guess it's like "hi-YAAA!" in Karate - the exclamation focuses your Chi ;-)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Rook
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Rook » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:06 pm

I believe there was actually a Lego commercial that had it said both ways in the same commercial. I guess my point is what does matter? Toemaytoe Tamatoe. Language is unique to geographical regions and ethic enclaves. That's why we all have accents.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:21 pm

I have very clearly heard all the commercials say 'Ninja Go.' My niece is the only person to say 'Nin jago.'
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 pm

the links to the commercials all say nin JA go - the stress is on second syllable not the first I am a stickler for english rules too but I don't why I say it the 2nd pronounciation. At least my son and I are consistent. I tried saying it ninja go but never comes out

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:58 pm

They're borth right, Watch the cartoon. The world is Nin Jago. When they use their Spinjitsu, they call out Ninja Go.