New York Toy Fair 2012 - LEGO Prices & More Pics from FBTB

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

New York Toy Fair 2012 - LEGO Prices & More Pics from FBTB

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm

FBTB has done a great job covering this year's New York Toy Fair 2012 again. Be sure to check their FBTB Flickr Photostream as they have more and better quality LEGO pictures and info from the LEGO Toy Fair. So far, they have uploaded LEGO Superheroes, LEGO Lord of the Rings and LEGO Star Wars. Most of the sets will be available in June while Star Wars sets will be available in August.

For the Summer LEGO Wave, it looks like LEGO Star Wars will be hit hard on prices including 9499 Gungan Sub for $69.99 USD / $89.99 CAD and 9516 Jabba’s Palace for $119.99 USD / $149.99 CAD. In comparison to these sets, 9525 Pre Vizla's Mandalorian Fighter ($39.99 USD) and 9515 Malevolence ($119.99 USD) looks like a way better deal (still expensive, but tolerable) with more pieces but of course, lesser sought after minifigures. I guess you have to pay a hefy sum between new LEGO Star Wars minifigures and LEGO pieces!

LEGO Star Wars Prices

LEGO 9496 Desert Skiff ($24.99 USD / $29.99 CAD)
LEGO 9497 Republic Striker Starfighter  ($44.99 USD / $49.99 CAD)
LEGO 9498 Saesee Tiin’s Starfighter ($29.99 USD / $39.99 CAD)
LEGO 9499 Gungan Sub ($69.99 USD / $89.99 CAD)
LEGO 9500 Sith Fury Class Interceptor ($89.99 USD / $119.99 CAD)
LEGO 9509 Star Wars Advent Calender 2012 ($39.99 USD / $49.99 CAD)
LEGO 9515 Malevolence ($119.99 USD / $149.99 CAD)
LEGO 9516 Jabba’s Palace ($119.99 USD / $149.99 CAD)
LEGO 9525 Pre Vizsla’s Mandalorian Fighter ($39.99 USD / $49.99 CAD) - Target Exclusive

LEGO Queen Amidala & LEGO Jabba Minifigures

Of course, there's also some pretty heavy prices on some of the other LEGO themes too. Think 6858 Catwoman Catcycle City Chase is an expensive set with not much in it? Well, it just gets worst when you now only get a motorcycle and 1 minifigure in 6865 Captain America's Avenging Cycle for $12.99 USD / $15.99 CAD. Our suggestion is to start saving your money now as we're about to head into one of the most expensive LEGO Summer ever!

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/new-york-toy-fai ... from-fbtb/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Re: New York Toy Fair 2012 - LEGO Prices & More Pics from FB

Post by nick91884 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:01 pm

From what I've read 6858 has more than what they're showing, two other minifigs possibly based on the villains of the Avengers movie that have been a tightly kept secret, plus im sure some more pieces to build something small similar to the star wars battlepacks.

The only confirmed villain is Loki but I doubt there isn't something or someone bigger to the party to fight the avengers.

The marvel sets have been previewed but they seem incomplete

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:33 pm

nick91884 wrote:From what I've read 6858 has more than what they're showing, two other minifigs possibly based on the villains of the Avengers movie that have been a tightly kept secret, plus im sure some more pieces to build something small similar to the star wars battlepacks.

The only confirmed villain is Loki but I doubt there isn't something or someone bigger to the party to fight the avengers.

The marvel sets have been previewed but they seem incomplete
That makes a lot of sense. Marvel (and everyone involved in the Avengers movie) have been very tight-lipped regarding the villains that will appear in film. It's very plausible that this set is shown incomplete so as to not spoil the movie.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Yeah Marvel is hiding the badguy in the set, so you get two minifigures and some pieces for the overpriced $13. Just like the Batman set.

echobanzai
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by echobanzai » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 pm

do not google it, but if you read any movie news website, you find out who the big villains are in the avengers flick.

they are trying to keep it secret, but a lot of people who went to the hasbro booth saw the figures.

and i have read several times about this avengers cycle that it is captain america AND villains.

lets hope it is!!!

turtle1173
Knight
Knight

Post by turtle1173 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:50 pm

The marvel website says it will include 3 minifigs.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:54 pm

In conclusion, another expensive year :crazy:

Blackicep8ntball
I'm New !

Post by Blackicep8ntball » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Fury Interceptor has what, 40 more pieces than Jabba's Palace, yet Jabba's Palace is $30 more. And crazy thing is, the Fury Inteceptor is still about $15 more than I'd want to pay.

ricefields
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by ricefields » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Well, somebody has to pay for the new minifig molds in the Jabba's Palace set, especially Jabba!

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Blackicep8ntball wrote:Fury Interceptor has what, 40 more pieces than Jabba's Palace, yet Jabba's Palace is $30 more. And crazy thing is, the Fury Inteceptor is still about $15 more than I'd want to pay.
Even if its half off, I'm not going to get it. No way am I paying $120 for that. :lol:

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:24 am

Ice wrote:
Blackicep8ntball wrote:Fury Interceptor has what, 40 more pieces than Jabba's Palace, yet Jabba's Palace is $30 more. And crazy thing is, the Fury Inteceptor is still about $15 more than I'd want to pay.
Even if its half off, I'm not going to get it. No way am I paying $120 for that. :lol:
Has this fury interceptor ever showed up from the movie?

eriochrome
Citizen
Citizen

Post by eriochrome » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 am

Prices are getting very high. We all see a lot of sets on clearance every year but it is hard to know how much of the total volume that represents. But if the retails keep ordering in the same volumes Lego has no incentive to watch the prices/value. Minifigures are really how they are pushing the sets recently. Just look at the ships just released. New or formerly hard to get minifigures in most including Ceremonial Liea in a y-wing no better than the last release.

As a note the Fury, Mandalorin Ship, and Republic Striker all the the Old Republic Logo on the box which I guess means they are from the current MMO game.

Aladar
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Aladar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:33 am

eriochrome wrote: As a note the Fury, Mandalorin Ship, and Republic Striker all the the Old Republic Logo on the box which I guess means they are from the current MMO game.
The Fury and Republic Striker are from TOR, but I believe the Mandalorian ship is from the Clone Wars.

eriochrome
Citizen
Citizen

Post by eriochrome » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 am

You are correct. My mistake, the set clearly has obiwan as a minifigure making it clone wars.

Max Power
Knight
Knight

Post by Max Power » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Star Wars prices :(
Do we have any piece count on any of the sets?

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:24 pm

SWEET!

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Lord of the Rings not the best showing from a first line in a liscened release by Lego. Eerily similar to PotC line. The play sets/scenes just aren't engaging at all. However the minifgures are well articulated and AMAZING!

For instance Mines of Moria needed to be built up, 2 levels, narrow and high. not low to the ground and wide. Add Some bley column like elements as found in City of Atlantis to emulate when they first enter the Dwarven stronghold. Narrow and high.with 2 levels, a lower small area and a large high area that feels majestic and towering. The first floor area could consist of where they first enter the mine, and the second vaulted ceiling area could be the tomb and have a staircase on each side so goblin archers can shoot down at them.. again to simulate the movies. Include the troll, and the tomb area but incorporate a feeling of depth.

Helms Deep also needed to be built slightly higher. The ramparts and walls. This could have been done without adding to many pieces. The recent Kingdoms castle was largely overlooked by Lego fans, in part because the walls were to short. However if Helms deep comes with Gandalf the White on Shadowfax it will make LOTR Tolkien fans happy.

As is, Tolkien fans arent liking these sets from the buzz on the non lego forums. Shelob, Weathertop, and the small Gandalf set are the Lego groups best offerings.

Uruk Hai army builder set includes only a few Uruk hai. I planned on buying at least 10 of them till I actually saw it and noticed that 5 Uruk Hai were not included, but just a few.

Goblin Forge is lolwut ?

Other than the amazing minifigures the whole LOTR line is average, at least POTC had cool ships. PoTC also had a great inexpensive way to get most of the characters in 2 $20 sets (Fountain of Youth, Isle De Muerta )if you already had 1 or both of the ships. And extra zombies in Captains Cabin.

With LOTR they have no Fountain of Youth or Isle De Muerta so you have to buy virtually the entire line. And the median on the sets to complete your fellowship is $30-$50 minimum per set.

So its very expensive to collect the entire fellowship. I dont know if TLG is simply brilliant or plain absurd.

The arguement that these sets are for kids is folly. Most children dont care about LOTR. LOTR are books for adults, the movies were made for adults.(Jackson cited saying multiple times, that the trilogy was an Adult film ,children can enjoy) . The Hobbit will be for adults. Sure, kids will like it. But they arent going to flock to TRU to buy action figures, its the adults. Kids will like it because Mom and Dad do. almost a forced interest.
Most children can't even read through a few pages of Tolkiens work without falling asleep or getting bored.

LOTR IS AN ADULT DEMOGRAPHIC!

Kids have no clue wtf Silmarillion is, They dont care about Numenor. This isnt Spiderman or Batman, or even Star Wars.

Yes, LOTR sets should have been desigined under the premise that LOTR is largely an adult fanbase.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Brickmythic wrote:LOTR IS AN ADULT DEMOGRAPHIC!

Kids have no clue wtf Silmarillion is, They dont care about Numenor. This isnt Spiderman or Batman, or even Star Wars.

Yes, LOTR sets should have been desigined under the premise that LOTR is largely an adult fanbase.
I disagree. I read the LotR when I was a kid. If LotR Lego sets had existed back then I would have been crazy about them.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Jabba is a brand new piece and looks amazing. You are paying for the Star Wars license (why I think 10 more years of it is insane) and the TEN minifigures you get.

ON LotR front, I think people are forgetting that the only wave show is the first one. Hobbit sets I think are supposed to be released in the fall for the movie. So there might be a way to get more minifigures for cheap. Or you just do what LEGO normally does, make you buy all the sets to get all the minifigures, and then the next year release the minifigures in cheaper sets.

legogod
Knight
Knight

Post by legogod » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:55 am

Brickmythic wrote:
Most children can't even read through a few pages of Tolkiens work without falling asleep or getting bored.

LOTR IS AN ADULT DEMOGRAPHIC!
This is a weird statement. In fifth grade, for me, The Fellowship of the Ring was required reading. I actually still have my copy from 21 years ago... I found it intriguing and fun. It certainly didn't put me to sleep.

Seeing the sets in stores requires no reading. Kids are going to see what they want- castles, creatures, and minifigures. I didn't see Star Wars until I was in college. Long before that I knew the story from everyday life, commercials, friends chatting and arguing, and movies or books referencing scenes. When I finally saw the movie I felt like I had already seen it. While the Lord of the Rings may not be exactly like this-I think some of the story invades everyone's life at one time or another. Since the prequel is being made, new advertisements will be shown, kids toys will be placed in Happy Meals, and the "sinking in" will begin.

I do agree with you that one needs to be a certain age to fully enjoy Tolkien's work, but I must persist that that age is far younger than you've hinted at.

Have fun.
Jared