New York Toy Fair 2012 - LEGO Prices & More Pics from FBTB

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: New York Toy Fair 2012 - LEGO Prices & More Pics from FB

Post by sadowsk1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 am

legogod wrote:
Brickmythic wrote:
Most children can't even read through a few pages of Tolkiens work without falling asleep or getting bored.

LOTR IS AN ADULT DEMOGRAPHIC!
This is a weird statement. In fifth grade, for me, The Fellowship of the Ring was required reading. I actually still have my copy from 21 years ago... I found it intriguing and fun. It certainly didn't put me to sleep.

Seeing the sets in stores requires no reading. Kids are going to see what they want- castles, creatures, and minifigures. I didn't see Star Wars until I was in college. Long before that I knew the story from everyday life, commercials, friends chatting and arguing, and movies or books referencing scenes. When I finally saw the movie I felt like I had already seen it. While the Lord of the Rings may not be exactly like this-I think some of the story invades everyone's life at one time or another. Since the prequel is being made, new advertisements will be shown, kids toys will be placed in Happy Meals, and the "sinking in" will begin.

I do agree with you that one needs to be a certain age to fully enjoy Tolkien's work, but I must persist that that age is far younger than you've hinted at.

Have fun.
Jared

It's funny you say that. It was required reading for my brother in grade school too. I was jealous because the cover made it look pretty rockin'. I was in third grade at the time and when I tried reading it I wasn't quite ready. Oh well.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:33 am

Brick & Blue wrote:Jabba is a brand new piece and looks amazing. You are paying for the Star Wars license (why I think 10 more years of it is insane) and the TEN minifigures you get.
Ten minifigs in Jabba's Palace? I only count eight.

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:05 am

In terms of LOTR, Lego has made a common move to increase its profits.

In the last few years, we have seen licensed themes to replace original themes. The first example I know of is Star Wars, which replaced space to some degree.

Then POC for last year that replaced pirates.
Now it is LOTR for castle.

While POC has been popular with children, Lego definitely has taken some risk with LOTR. It has been 9 years (?) since Return of the King. Hence, a child fanbase is initially small. However, Lego is riding the Hobbit wave for better chances with kids. IF the Hobbit is a hit with the kids, sales will go up. However, if Hobbit is a dud, at least its value as a 'castle' theme for kids and the general appeal from adults will salvage it.

Given that Lego still depends on sales from children, I would have rolled out Hobbit-related sets, prior to original trilogy sets, because they have no clue who the characters are and parents likely won't dish out money on a set with an inflated price if the kids have no interest in it. (see Lego: Clone wars sets)

Brickmythic
Knight
Knight

Post by Brickmythic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 am

sadowsk1 wrote:
legogod wrote:
Brickmythic wrote:
Most children can't even read through a few pages of Tolkiens work without falling asleep or getting bored.

LOTR IS AN ADULT DEMOGRAPHIC!
This is a weird statement. In fifth grade, for me, The Fellowship of the Ring was required reading. I actually still have my copy from 21 years ago... I found it intriguing and fun. It certainly didn't put me to sleep.

Seeing the sets in stores requires no reading. Kids are going to see what they want- castles, creatures, and minifigures. I didn't see Star Wars until I was in college. Long before that I knew the story from everyday life, commercials, friends chatting and arguing, and movies or books referencing scenes. When I finally saw the movie I felt like I had already seen it. While the Lord of the Rings may not be exactly like this-I think some of the story invades everyone's life at one time or another. Since the prequel is being made, new advertisements will be shown, kids toys will be placed in Happy Meals, and the "sinking in" will begin.

I do agree with you that one needs to be a certain age to fully enjoy Tolkien's work, but I must persist that that age is far younger than you've hinted at.

Have fun.
Jared

It's funny you say that. It was required reading for my brother in grade school too. I was jealous because the cover made it look pretty rockin'. I was in third grade at the time and when I tried reading it I wasn't quite ready. Oh well.
when i was in school, it was a required read as well. But trying to get children to read the books these days is difficult at times.

After seeing better images, the MSRP, the added Lurtz in the Uruk hai army builder and Im sold.

I really do like the LOTR line, but its the adults that will get the most excited about them for sure.

The kids are going nuts over the new Superman and Batman sets, and likely will with the new Avengers sets.

We seem to think all children come from white middle class families that can afford everything.

Adults carry PotC and most of Star Wars line . And they will carry the bulk of LOTR sales.

I'm very happy with MSRP on these LOTR sets and after seeing clearer images, all the figures I am very excited. The only thing Im upset about is no female minifigures.

Well met, Jared, I will agree, a part of me wishes though that the current generations can get into LOTR like we did (Im in my mid 30's)!!

Hopefully Hobbit will rekindle the interest.

OH and my counter debate!! hehe

If LOTR are for kids then why dont they have the books in the kids section at Barnes in Nobles at the 2 stores I frequent?

LOTR books are only in the adult fantasy section!!!