In-game characters for LEGO Batman 2

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
UnknownUser
Knight
Knight

In-game characters for LEGO Batman 2

Post by UnknownUser » Wed May 16, 2012 5:36 pm

Found this on Brickshelf.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Re: In-game characters for LEGO Batman 2

Post by unclephn » Wed May 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Man, LEGO really needs to make all these characters into real minifigs!

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:03 pm

unclephn wrote:Man, LEGO really needs to make all these characters into real minifigs!
Maybe eventually, I'd settle for that green lantern minifig they have been showing since they announced the DC sets were coming
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

bigsexy_j
I'm New !

Post by bigsexy_j » Wed May 16, 2012 10:57 pm

^
pretty sure it was released at an SDCC

J

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Thu May 17, 2012 3:57 am

I think the main roadblock LEGO is going to face with a lot of superheroes is how to place them within an interesting enough context to justify a set. There are only so many ways to design/build a bank robbery. I mean, what are they going to do for Captain Marvel up there, build an enormous lightning bolt? Actually, that would be really cool...
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Thu May 17, 2012 9:29 am

The cave with the SHAZAM statues could be a cool set for him, but I do agree, aside from Batman, there aren't a ton of DC locations/vehicles they could easily do for them. Wonder Woman's invisible jet out of clear bricks would be sweet and trans green ones for Green Lantern constructs would be awesome as well. They could do a Daily Planet for another Superman set as well. Maybe the Hall of Justice could be a way to get in a bunch of heroes that would otherwise struggle to have a good set (ie the Flash anyone?). If Lego is one thing, its creative.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Thu May 17, 2012 9:18 pm

vynsane wrote:I think the main roadblock LEGO is going to face with a lot of superheroes is how to place them within an interesting enough context to justify a set. There are only so many ways to design/build a bank robbery. I mean, what are they going to do for Captain Marvel up there, build an enormous lightning bolt? Actually, that would be really cool...
My hunch is that the majority of the sets will be tied to DC's and Marvel's respective films and cartoons. In which case, Marvel has a bit of an edge since they've got several films already slated for at least the next 3-5 years. Plus, they also have the Avengers cartoon (I'd love to see cartoon-styled minifigs!) and the new Spider-Man cartoon (which I believe is what that lone Spidey set with Doctor Octopus and Iron Fist is based on).

DC has a new Superman film coming out, as well a couple of cartoons/tv shows, including yet another new Batman show, only this time it is CGI-animated.

While I'd love to see sets based on current or classic storylines from the comics, I'm almost positive that the vast majority (if not all) LEGO Super Heroes sets, from both DC and Marvel, will be based their films and tv shows.

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:27 pm

I think they will release new DC sets for holiday, DC then Marvel so it may be that they are developing a pattern alternating brands for the superheroes sets.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

BrickGarurumon
Knight
Knight

Post by BrickGarurumon » Fri May 18, 2012 3:40 am

I discovered Cyborg from Teen Titans is going to star in this game. Too bad it's not the Cyborg from the 2003 Teen Titans TV show. :cry:
Last edited by BrickGarurumon on Sat May 19, 2012 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri May 18, 2012 4:00 am

unclephn wrote:My hunch is that the majority of the sets will be tied to DC's and Marvel's respective films and cartoons.
The beauty of the DC sets thus far, though, are that they are almost in their own continuity, taking bits and pieces from the movies, animated series AND comics and mashing them up. There is no one source material you can point to for any given set and say "this is all inspired by X".

That's why, while I think they're fantastic sets, The Avengers tie-in sets miss the mark a bit. Riffing on the whole "subject matter" thing brought up with the denial of The Winchester over at CUUSOO, I'm not sure how well the Avengers movie fits into their 6-11 demographic. It really only just hits the tail-end of that age span.

Sure, they're bound to make a ton of money off the sets in wake of the box office the movie is pulling in, but still... I wish we would get a collection of cool builds using a homogenized version of all the different takes on these characters, such as we got with DC.

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Fri May 18, 2012 5:36 am

^ I agree with you wholeheartedly. I like the DC sets for the very same reasons. However, I think it was easy for LEGO to do that with the first wave of DC sets not only because of Batman's immense popularity, but also because the first Batman theme was/is highly sought after, and was virtually guaranteed to rake in a lot of money. EVERYONE was waiting for the release of the new sets with much anticipation.

I'd also love to see a more generic, comic book-looking version of Marvel's characters, as well as more DC characters. LEGO is a perfect medium for these 'colorful' characters, and they would translate really well in minifig form. Let's cross our fingers and hope the LEGO gods hear us!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri May 18, 2012 8:12 pm

They all look awesome : )
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

CharliesDad
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CharliesDad » Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 am

Buttmunch wrote:The cave with the SHAZAM statues could be a cool set for him, but I do agree, aside from Batman, there aren't a ton of DC locations/vehicles they could easily do for them. Wonder Woman's invisible jet out of clear bricks would be sweet and trans green ones for Green Lantern constructs would be awesome as well. They could do a Daily Planet for another Superman set as well. Maybe the Hall of Justice could be a way to get in a bunch of heroes that would otherwise struggle to have a good set (ie the Flash anyone?). If Lego is one thing, its creative.
Personally, I would LOVE a set based on Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

I have heard rumors that there will be a second wave of DC sets late in the year or in early 2013 and the centerpiece will be a large Superman set. My fingers are officially crossed.

Noblebrick
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Noblebrick » Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 am

^ How about a Daily Planet / Modular cross over... :) THAT would be insane!

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah, I think a Daily Planet building is much more likely than an FoS. They wouldn't let that many clear bricks out for a reasonable price.

CharliesDad
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CharliesDad » Wed May 23, 2012 10:41 am

LOL, good point on the clear bricks! I was thinking they'd use white, but the more recent appearances of the FoS have been more crystal based.

If they did a Daily Planet, it would be cool to have a phone booth (not that they even exist anymore) on the street or perhaps an interior broom closet where Clark Kent could enter one side and Superman would exit the other, similar to the Bruce Wayne to Batman transformation from the Batcave set.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 am

Yeah, some sort of 'transformation' effect as you've outlined would be a great touch. Wasn't there a gag in one of the Donner movies about Clark not being able to find an enclosed phone booth (not that there's all that much privacy compared to an open-air phone booth anyway...)?

If it's a 'modular building' size set, there could be a quick-change feature on the roof somewhere, like in an elevator machine room or the roof-access door or something.

And they can use the Star Wars 'Planet Set' planet mold for the 'Daily Planet' sign! Have I said 'planet' enough in that sentence yet?

CharliesDad
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CharliesDad » Thu May 24, 2012 8:34 am

vynsane wrote: And they can use the Star Wars 'Planet Set' planet mold for the 'Daily Planet' sign! Have I said 'planet' enough in that sentence yet?
LOL! All I know is that I'm excited for a set that may never come!

More on the game here: http://www.newsarama.com/games/lego-bat ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In addition to the heroes you expect like Wonder Woman, Superman, Green Lantern, and Flash, there are some pleasant surprises like Supergirl, Cyborg, Huntress, Hawkman, Shazam; the roster gets pretty deep into the DCU with tons of unlockables on both the hero and villain side (Zod, Sinestro, Gorilla Grodd, oh my!). Each character does genuinely play differently; even the multiple fliers have their own unique attributes, or the members of the bat-family who have unique power-ups and gadgets. What's better is the level design actually encourages use of all the different characters and gameplay types.
I'm genuinely torn between pre-ordering the Wii or the PS3 version. Obviously, the Wii version is $10 cheaper, but I have no doubt that the PS3 will have DLC that I'll otherwise miss.

CharliesDad
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CharliesDad » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:07 am

The pre-order bonus for the PS3 and XBox versions on Amazon now include the five characters listed above that are bonuses in the Australian EB release (Nightwing, Shazam, Katana, Zatanna and Damian Wayne/Robin) as well as a $10 Amazon credit.

mooslug
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by mooslug » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 am

Gamestop US just added the 5 Villain pack (same one as previously announced for other retailers- Bizarro, Captain Cold, Black Adam, Black Manta, Grodd) as a preorder bonus in their weekly ad:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/weeklyad/cur ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fine print says you have to be a "member," but I'm not sure if they mean the free membership or the paid.

Edit: I pre-ordered during lunch... the Gamestop clerk that I reserved with was under the impression that the free membership, rather than the paid one, is enough to get the bonus.