[REVIEW]: 7953 & 7955, Court Jester & Wizard

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.

How would you rate these sets together?

Poor
No votes
Average
16%
Excellent
84%

Total votes: 19

legitimatealex
Count
Count

[REVIEW]: 7953 & 7955, Court Jester & Wizard

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:39 pm

Indexed

Since these sets are so small and they're both from the same line I thought I would review them together. There's not much here but its nice to know what you're getting :D

First let me comment on the boxes. They're the standard thoroughfare of impulse sets; rather small but worth it. The price confuses me a bit because they've upped the price from the previous sets by $.50. I can't tell that there are more or less pieces. Perhaps they just raised it for profit's sake.

Price: $4.00 each.

Here are the boxes. I apologize for the glare on the Wizard.

I've never understood why people photograph the instructions so I will not. They were just the tiny fold up kinds that come with most impulse sets/polybags. These sets are so small though you shouldn't need them anyways :)

Court Jester Bag Contents:

Mine actually had a piece missing. The flat 1x6 red piece was missing. Contacted LEGO, shipping one to me (how nice.)

And the WIZARD!

The little dragon is just so cute. There's also a printed tile here. It says 'You are far more powerful than you would ever imagine.' Sounds a bit like a fortune cookie I think but printed tiles are printed tiles and are a god send from having stickers.

The minifigures:

The wizard has printed legs but nothing else is printed. He's a rather fetching forest green color.

The new Jester is identical to old one except for three ways. 1. He's a different color (Red and White vs. Red and Blue of the old one). 2. He has a lion on his belt buckle rather than a crown. 3. He's made from different plastic. I have the older Jester and I felt them both in my hand at once and the bodies are definitely different plastic. The head remains the same, happy on one side, crying on the other. Printing on the back of the torso as well.

Completed Wizard Set

The hat IS printed. It's very lovely and will be sought after for years I'm sure. His beard does throw me off a little bit though. The face is of an older man (I would guess in his early 60's or late 50's) with gray hair, yet his beard is solid black. I'm happy to have a black beard finally but the change in facial hair color throws me off. Maybe he dyes it.

2 Extra pieces: Translucent Red Circular Flat Stud & Translucent Green Circular Flat Stud (The two on the bottles).

Completed Jester Set

There's the sad face. He's sad because I took his jester accessories away and now he can't juggle. They kept rolling off the table :evil: It's a pretty little stage that I might recreate if I do a village scene.

3 Extra Pieces: Red Circular Flat Stud, Blue Circular Flat Stud, & White Circular Flat Stud (His juggling balls). 1 of each.

Overall both sets are worth getting. I doubt these minifigures will appear in another Kingdoms set, at least not for a while. The Jester is definitely a must for those who did not want Drawbridge Defense from the last Castle line, or missed out on it. The Wizard is nice for the printing and the baby dragon is very cute as a dragon or as a nice decoration. They're really both standard impulse sets, but I've never had an impulse set that I didn't like or enjoy.

I'd highly recommend buying them, especially at the prices they're at.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Eddy976
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: [REVIEW]: 7953 & 7955, Court Jester & Wizard

Post by Eddy976 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:06 pm

The wizard set is the best! I really like the dragon and nice to know its a printed hat on the figure :D
And ya... they raise their prices to most of the new sets coming up and $0.50 mark up is not suprising when they raise the $10 sets to $11.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks for the review! Poll added.

doodlebird
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by doodlebird » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 pm

"maybe he dyes it". ha ha. nice one. :lol:

i've got the wizard. he's pretty good. somehow can't seem to get the jester tho. not sure how i'd put him to use.

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:40 am

Anybody think these will go well with the new minifigures?

stevenli
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by stevenli » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:24 am

Works great with my 5614 Good Wizard! Thanks for the review.

xeno
Peasant
Peasant

Post by xeno » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 am

Yeah, another review from legitimatealex! (Always enjoy to read legitimatealex Lego product reviews.)

Personally I like the older wizard version much much more!:
http://www.supertoys.co.uk/catalog/images/5614-1.jpg

Liked the old blue hat more, plus I prefer the glass sphere than the table with the potions. And he looks wiser.

Anyway, thats just me, and my opinion. :)

6 out of 10

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:30 am

I think this wizard is a nice break from the old one, like the Necromancer and the Troll Queen (or sorceress) from the Fantasies line were. Its just something new to break up the mold. Adds a little variety :)
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

anthonyj8
Knight
Knight

Post by anthonyj8 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Great review! When they came out, I bought them both, especially because the sets cost less than the keychains of the figs in the sets. Overall, they were pretty good sets.

slackerhero
I'm New !

Post by slackerhero » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:12 pm

Awesome review!
I just found the Jester set on clearance for $2 so it was a must have set, now I just need to find the Wizard set.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Nice! I wish there were more of these little ones. The Wizard is the only set I hoard - it's too good not to!

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:47 pm

slackerhero wrote:Awesome review!
I just found the Jester set on clearance for $2 so it was a must have set, now I just need to find the Wizard set.
I've got an extra. You have anything you'd wanna trade for?