MOC: Stadler GTW 2/6 Railcar

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

MOC: Stadler GTW 2/6 Railcar

Post by dr_spock » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Presenting my interpretation of the GTW 2/6 railcar in LEGO train set style with a nod to old LEGO monorail.

GTW (Gelenktriebwagen) which means articulated railcar is made by Stadler of Switzerland. The notable feature is a power module in the middle connecting the two passenger cars. The design reminds me very much of the LEGO monorail sets like the Airport Shuttle. I wonder if the designers at Stadler were inspired by LEGO monorail.

I chose the German DB colour scheme which looks similar to the LEGO airport shuttle colours.

My model has a Power Function train motor and AAA battery pack in the power module. The passenger cars are supported by the center power module. The 2/6 designation means six axles with 2 powered axles.

Battery pack on/off switch is reachable through a hole on the roof of the power car module using a toothpick or Technic axle. Alternatively the roof comes off like Horizon Express to access the switch.

Engineer compartment

The brick build dummy coupler can be replaced with LEGO magnet couplers for M.U. hookup or a Technic liftarm can also be used.

All aboard. Next stop, the airport.

Video:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Jmy9dfjD1AI[/youtube]

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: MOC: Stadler GTW 2/6 Railcar

Post by JustBrickin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:16 pm

This is a nice, smooth train! Cool!
Building LEGOs, one piece at a time...

My Flickr

gumby
Peasant
Peasant

Post by gumby » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Looks great! Looks an awful lot like the 6399 Airport Shuttle too. :)

Edit: Oops - didn't realize you already mentioned 6399 in your original post.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Nice build! I watched the video. It moves so much faster than I expected. I'll have to buy train parts or a train in the far future when I have more space.

spacysmoke
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by spacysmoke » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Nice! I guess this is also the train that 7938 was based on! Didn't know it was a real train.
http://brickset.com/sets/7938-1/Passenger-Train

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:52 pm

gumby wrote:Looks great! Looks an awful lot like the 6399 Airport Shuttle too. :)
JustBrickin wrote:This is a nice, smooth train! Cool!
Thanks. :)
StClair wrote:Nice build! I watched the video. It moves so much faster than I expected. I'll have to buy train parts or a train in the far future when I have more space.
I was surprised how quick it was too. I think it has to do with only 6 axles touching the rails--less friction. I don't have space for a layout yet but I'm starting a train collection. ;)
spacysmoke wrote:Nice! I guess this is also the train that 7938 was based on! Didn't know it was a real train.
http://brickset.com/sets/7938-1/Passenger-Train
Thanks. I think 7938 looks more like the FLiRT emu train which is also made by Stadler.

kemcab
Peasant
Peasant

Post by kemcab » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:27 am

Very slick and the video was great. Love the simplicity of the battery switch on top.