Modular Train Station Reaches 10 000 Supporters on LEGO Ideas

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

Modular Train Station Reaches 10 000 Supporters on LEGO Ideas

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:36 pm

Another LEGO Ideas creation has reached 10 000 supporters. Congrats to LegoWolf's Modular Train Station! LEGO Modular building sets are typically quite popular so I can see that this would fit quite well with the existing modular series. You can check out more images on the LEGO Ideas site.

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/modular-train-st ... ego-ideas/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

StClair
Count
Count

Re: Modular Train Station Reaches 10 000 Supporters on LEGO

Post by StClair » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:32 am

Wow! That's beautiful! I still want a great looking library but this... nice

Athos
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Athos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 am

Where would you put the train tracks? If you put them behind it, you can't see the train. If you put them in front, it doesn't work with the rest of the buildings.

I am a big train fan and all, but I just don't see how this would work.

Steve

Legotrain1
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by Legotrain1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:30 am

Nice, too bad LEGO will never select it.

Jener8
I'm New !

Post by Jener8 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:21 pm

@athos - best approach would be to run two sets of tracks parallel to each other and perpendicular to the back of the station, having the tracks end, and with a raised platform between the two sets of tracks. This is more of a end of the line station like Grand Central or Union Station rather than a through station that you see along the way in smaller towns. Think the train platform 9 3/4 from the Harry Potter films. You could still build the city block on either side of the station with the train exiting out the far end.

Another option is to use it as a station for and elevated train line or a faux subway line.

pro_zach
Peasant
Peasant

Post by pro_zach » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:31 pm

It's a nice looking set...I like the brick-built "STATION" and the use of the business card letter tiles for destinations (on the back side). As mentioned above, TLG will likely never select it as the modular line is a separate franchise from Ideas. Won't necessarily stop them from taking the idea though...like they did with Portal/Dimensions.

Sometimes I think people would be better off bundling the necessary pieces with their instructions and selling them that way then trying to go through this process...getting 10K supporters just to be rejected has to suuuck.

dr_spock
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by dr_spock » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 pm

It's probably too big for the production pie slice that LEGO allocates to Ideas. Didn't Ideas says somewhere that Ideas sets size are limited by LEGO's production capacity? I wonder if that'll change with the new Chinese factory.

Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Buttmunch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:22 pm

dr_spock wrote:It's probably too big for the production pie slice that LEGO allocates to Ideas. Didn't Ideas says somewhere that Ideas sets size are limited by LEGO's production capacity? I wonder if that'll change with the new Chinese factory.
There is that smaller than average Ghostbusters' Firehouse we just recently got...

While I do agree this won't get approved, the Ghostbuster Firehouse proves that extra large sets can happen from time to time. I feel it was actually a bad move approving that set as it actually gives sets like this false hope of becoming a reality.

MysteriousSir
I'm New !

Post by MysteriousSir » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

Buttmunch wrote: There is that smaller than average Ghostbusters' Firehouse we just recently got...

While I do agree this won't get approved, the Ghostbuster Firehouse proves that extra large sets can happen from time to time. I feel it was actually a bad move approving that set as it actually gives sets like this false hope of becoming a reality.
Not an IDEAS set.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Brickred » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Buttmunch wrote:
dr_spock wrote:It's probably too big for the production pie slice that LEGO allocates to Ideas. Didn't Ideas says somewhere that Ideas sets size are limited by LEGO's production capacity? I wonder if that'll change with the new Chinese factory.
There is that smaller than average Ghostbusters' Firehouse we just recently got...

The smaller than average ghostbusters firehouse we recently got is non ideas set. It is the first set in the ghostbusters theme the remaining sets will be unveiled as we get closer to the movie, a new ecto-1 based on the new movie is also expected.

As for the train station - it's a beautifully executed idea which won't be approved based on the piece / brick count, however Lego might assimilate the idea into a subsequent modular building.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:37 pm

I really like IDEAS sets in the $30-50 range. While more expensive sets may be a fair price for parts and things its harder for me to justify buying something that is outside of my normal themes that I collect. If its high I'm less likely to buy it. $30-50 makes it much easier to justify. I'm missing the price of the Exo-suit and Back to the Future set. At the same time I'm glad that The Big Bang Theory set and Doctor Who set included as much as they did because we may not see the parts and minifigures as a theme (Dimensions helped with Doctor Who... giving us more). Could be that they start creating slightly more expensive sets in the future...?

larsnelson76
Peasant
Peasant

Post by larsnelson76 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:02 am

You're right StClair. I bought the exosuit because it was simply too awesome to pass it up. But I am not a neo-space collector. I am planning on buying the Dr. Who set even though I am not a Doctor Who fan. Would I buy a $100 Doctor Who set? It would have to be incredible, not just for the look, but also have a lot of rare parts.

There have to be hundreds of modular buildings on Lego Ideas with crazy part counts, which forces Lego to reject the set, and it sets up Lego to look bad by "copying" an idea that has been done. A $30-50 price makes the set possible.

auralgami
Peasant
Peasant

Post by auralgami » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Then Lego ideas should say that -- just come out and say that sets above piece count X or price point Y are just not going to happen.

Ideas is a great concept, but it is all kinds of crappy that the participants have to jump through lots of hoops and wait a very long time for rejections that are all but guaranteed. And then have Lego come out with something amazingly similar, with enough plausible deniability to not cause an uproar.

Train station is awesome. I would buy one, as would a lot of folks who buy modulars. I don't look forward to its inevitable rejection.