[MOC] Lego Kingdoms Chess Set

Every week, a LEGO(My Own Creation) posted here will be featured on our front page. Got a cool creation? Share it! This is also the place to share your building tips and ideas as well as LEGO IDEAS.
koromo
Knight
Knight

[MOC] Lego Kingdoms Chess Set

Post by koromo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:02 pm

A project I started in the summer with the Kingdoms clearance sales and an impluse buy of the Advent Calendar. A couple more clearance aisles, Bricklink orders, S@H orders including direct shiping from the lego plant in Poland, I finished in the fall. Its been sitting on the table until I could borrow a decent camera for close ups. Since this is my first session with the camera, other gear and flickr please bear with me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55999193@N ... 37/detail/
Last edited by koromo on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lego Fan based in Seacoast Area of New Hampshire.

lerico
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Lego Kingdoms Chess Set

Post by lerico » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Oh my god! This is awesome. Great job.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks.

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:47 am

Cool. Both rook and throne are looking great. I like your idea of building the throne with using golden cups. It was not easy to make up the dragon king and queen, wasn't it?

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:25 pm

legohunter wrote:Cool. Both rook and throne are looking great. I like your idea of building the throne with using golden cups. It was not easy to make up the dragon king and queen, wasn't it?
No it wasn't easy, they were build up piece-meal. For the dragon queen I had drafted an idea to use Prof. McGonagall as the main body. Though BL prices were high and I'd still need to find a suitable YF head and hair/tiara combo.

I found a castle witch through BL and also a fantasy era queen. I swapped the black hair piece from the red queen to the witch and the blue queen's hair to my red queen. It was simpler getting a whole "blue" queen as a second queen's braid and tiara set was most of the value of a whole mini. The prototype Red queen's throne was the mini throne from the calendar and evolved as I would adjust the other throne pieces. When I finished with the dragon queen's piece I adjusted the heights of the kings and red queen to match. It makes the "chair" rather tall but compared to the knights and rooks this is a good thing.

The dragon king at first was a stand in of a knight, then I didn't like the knight's torso and legs as the king should be different. I put in Nizam's robe as it seemed regal enough and his head is on an old YF imperial officer figure looking rather mean (he had been in the 'spares' bin for almost a year) :lol: .

I got a sword and crown through a series of BL orders and then encountered the difficulty tracking down the two-dragon breast plate to distinguish him from the one-dragon design of the knights. I added the kings-gold plate to my order to enhance my Red king from the carriage set to match. I could have skipped that step and a few others if I already had the Kings castle set but I already bought the carriage before this project.

The dragon kings throne would have done better with more dark green but Lego hasn't issued enough bricks in that color. The dragon's teeth at the base was a fluke, I didn't have enough black bricks in my spare parts bins during the prototype stage that I put in a SNOT just to hold it together.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:24 pm

wow your chess set really came out great, nice job!

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:32 pm

atmail35 wrote:wow your chess set really came out great, nice job!
Thank you.

lerico
Peasant
Peasant

Post by lerico » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 am

I was trying to build my own version that day and I was thinking it should be easy. But no, I was wrong. I guess you really have many extra sets to get the bricks needed.

Good Job. Once again!

autobrick
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by autobrick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:50 am

Nice MOC, koromo! I really like your dragon king and queen; it's a shame the Kingdoms theme didn't mature enough for us to get them. Are you going to build a base for your chess board? Something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandongri ... otostream/ It would turn a great MOC into an excellent one.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:55 pm

lerico wrote:I was trying to build my own version that day and I was thinking it should be easy. But no, I was wrong. I guess you really have many extra sets to get the bricks needed.

Good Job. Once again!
The main resource used was time. I started with a few sets (Calender, Kings Carriage) and my spare parts bins and place them on just a grey baseplate to figure what to do next every other week or so.

Over the summer I tried to decide which clearance sets would get me the mini-figures needed as they made the chess piece the rest of the bricks were for show. Through the course of it all I used the following sets: Kings Carriage Ambush, Advent Calendar, 2 Prison Towers, 2 Prison Carriages, 2 Dragon Prison Gates, 2 outpost attacks, 2 crossbow practice, 2 dragon wizards, 2 court jesters.

Each tower set gave me a whole red knight plus all the bricks to downsize the tower to a dragon rook, not very efficent but worthwhile as a BL'd Knight shipped was about half the clearance price of the boxed set.

Outpost attack turned into the Red Rook accompanied with a number of "4-quarters" tunics I needed lots of these to make the pawns.

The Dragon gates give you the Dragon knights handlely at a much better rate than the red knights, and more pawns and rook sentries.

I suppose an owner of the kings Castle could bundle the benefit of the Kings Carriage and 2 outpost attacks, and other parts I ended up ordering seperate. With the new Kings Joust set alot of material gets covered, Real shame to release the new sets this past year and discontinue so quickly.

koromo
Knight
Knight

Post by koromo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:12 pm

autobrick wrote:Nice MOC, koromo! I really like your dragon king and queen; it's a shame the Kingdoms theme didn't mature enough for us to get them. Are you going to build a base for your chess board? Something like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandongri ... otostream/ It would turn a great MOC into an excellent one.
When I was browsing the internet to see what people had done before I saw alot of SW themed sets include Mr. Griffith's work. Which is still very cool.

I did come across a offering by Findmybrick that used Kingdoms era pieces but on a 4x4 stud based board using minis as the pieces much like http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=G678-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I liked the SW board, but it was 4 (2x2) tiles by 4 (2x2) tiles. The Giant chessboard http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=852293-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which I based my board on had a managable 3 by 3 tile which fits a grey base plate. That board took many tiles to field out, requiring lego to special order from the plant in Poland 288 white and 288 black at about ~$25 each color. I fit that in during two different freeshipping promos.

I hope to make a raised platform board in the future though I may skip out on the corner "camps" from TLG's offering as it makes it a bit busy for playing chess, but that leaves plenty of room on the base for design.

Leo-J
Citizen
Citizen

Re: [MOC] Lego Kingdoms Chess Set

Post by Leo-J » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:46 pm

This is really neat! :up: