[Contest] Holiday LEGO Building 2011

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

[Contest] Holiday LEGO Building 2011

Post by Toys N Bricks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:20 pm

November 29 Update:
In order to get more people to enter, we'll be boosting the prizes up a bit if you don't want the LEGO boxes. This only applies if you are a Toys N Bricks sponsored prize winner (1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes).
  • You can get a bonus LEGO Star Wars Battle Pack (Mandalorian, Snowtrooper, or Hoth Rebel Trooper) if you are choosing Star Wars
  • You can get two bonus impulse sets if you are choosing City
For the Winter Village Post Office Grand Prize, there is no deboxing or bonus sets as that is sponsored by the LEGO Group.
Christmas is rapidly approaching and what's better than building with LEGO during the holidays? Toys N Bricks is proud to present the Holiday LEGO Building Contest for 2011. The task is very simple. All you have to do is just build a Winter Holiday Scene with less than 1000 pieces. You have 2 full months to build your creation. Though, we do recommend that you start early!

4 lucky winners will receive a prize from us this Christmas Holiday Season! Special thanks to the LEGO Group for sponsoring the new 10222 Winter Village Post Office set.

Contest starts now until November 30th. If you have a question regarding this contest, please post it here.

Contest Rules
  • Creation must be under 1000 pieces (no micro scale please)
  • Entries must be completely new (you cannot enter it in another contest)
  • Entries must be built with LEGO pieces (no LDD, custom brands, stickers, other objects used)
  • If you have won the last LEGO Building Contest (Next Generation of Space Travel), you are not allowed to enter
  • All basic contest rules followed
Submit your Entry
  • Please submit your entries in this topic
  • Details on how to submit are also available there
Evaluation
  • Contest evaluation will be based on votes from members
  • If there is a tie, there will either be another voting round for the 2 contestants or the staff will make the final call
Deadline: Contest ends on November 30 at 21:00 PST (December 1st - 0:00 EST).
*All entries that fails to meet the above guidelines by the deadline will be disqualified.

Prizes

Grand Prize
The Grand Prize Winner will receive a brand-new copy of the just released LEGO exclusive 10222 Winter Village Post Office. Grand Prize is sponsored by the LEGO Group.

First Prize
The First Prize Winner will receive a brand-new copy of the limited edition LEGO Star Wars 8128 Cad Bane's Speeder set. If you are not into Star Wars, you will be given the option to receive LEGO City 7684 Pig Farm & Tractor plus 7942 Off-Road Fire Rescue instead. First Prize is sponsored by Toys N Bricks.

Second Prize
There will be 2 Second Prize Winners. Each winner will receive a brand-new copy of the limited edition LEGO Star Wars 7868 Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter set. If you are not into Star Wars, you will be given the option to receive LEGO City 7684 Pig Farm & Tractor instead. Second Prizes are sponsored by Toys N Bricks.

Toys N Bricks reserves the right to modify or change the rules at anytime.
By accepting the prize, you have read and understood the rules and our basic contests & prizes rules.
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Re: [Contest] Holiday LEGO Building Contest 2011

Post by Legobrandon » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:38 pm

I love the new rules. Its great that LEGO is sponsoring one of the prizes this time. I also really like the second prize ;-) . One question, if I were to build a entry, am I allowed to use for example, the Christmas tree from the Winter Toy Shop, or will I have to create a completely new tree?

Knobby Plastic
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Knobby Plastic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:03 am

I agree with all the new rules except the one about not being able to enter if you've won something in the last six months. The reason (at least for me) is obvious. I mean, really? I think that's taking "fair" a little too far. Maybe if you've won a prize in the last two contests, that would maybe be a little unfair to others but this? Not happy. I suppose that maybe I'm overreacting a little. :???:
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic

Brick Monster
I'm New !

Post by Brick Monster » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:46 am

Oh wow! The prizes are awesome :eek: I'll have to enter this one.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:11 am

Knobby Plastic wrote:I agree with all the new rules except the one about not being able to enter if you've won something in the last six months. The reason (at least for me) is obvious. I mean, really? I think that's taking "fair" a little too far. Maybe if you've won a prize in the last two contests, that would maybe be a little unfair to others but this? Not happy. I suppose that maybe I'm overreacting a little. :???:
Please be patient. We are still in the process of trying to find a win-win solution for both sides.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:29 am

Ice wrote:
Knobby Plastic wrote:I agree with all the new rules except the one about not being able to enter if you've won something in the last six months. The reason (at least for me) is obvious. I mean, really? I think that's taking "fair" a little too far. Maybe if you've won a prize in the last two contests, that would maybe be a little unfair to others but this? Not happy. I suppose that maybe I'm overreacting a little. :???:
Please be patient. We are still in the process of trying to find a win-win solution for both sides.
I think it's fair. You don't want the same people winning all the time. Plus 6 months isn't that long of a time, it's not like you have a contest every week.

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Brick & Blue wrote:I think it's fair. You don't want the same people winning all the time. Plus 6 months isn't that long of a time, it's not like you have a contest every week.
Correct.

legogeek
Knight
Knight

Post by legogeek » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Nice prizes!!!

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Holiday LEGO Building Contest 2011 - Rules Finalized

Post by atmail35 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:50 am

I just wanted to let you all know that we have finalized the contest rules for the Holiday LEGO Building Contest. After a lot of discussion between the staff we have implemented the following rule for Building Contests:

If you have won the last LEGO Building Contest, you are not allowed to enter. In this case, if you won the "Next Generation of Space Travel Building Contest" you are not eligible to enter this contest, but will be eligible for future building contests.

While we value all the talent and time taken to enter these contests, in order to make these contests fair to all we have implemented this rule. We thank you in advance for your understanding.

Now that the administration of this contest is out of the way, let's get building!

legohunter
Count
Count

Post by legohunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:17 am

I agree that this contest comes with decent prizes. Those are exclusive sets. :clap: I am now scratching my head for what to build. :roll:

Afterall, It is nice having 2 months to work on it.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:11 am

I wonder if anyone else noticed the new rule about contestants not being allowed to vote any more. I think thats an ok rule, but some others might be miffed. I do wonder if it will reduce the voting pool significantly as the majority of active members entered the last contest.

Anyway, my real question: So we can do anything we want so long as it is a Christmas themed scene?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:13 pm

hatcher wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed the new rule about contestants not being allowed to vote any more. I think thats an ok rule, but some others might be miffed. I do wonder if it will reduce the voting pool significantly as the majority of active members entered the last contest.
It may reduce the voting pool, but at the same time, so does 40 contestants voting all three of their points to themselves - really, the last one was decided by people who didn't enter the contest anyway, so it's a wash. It also takes away the unfair advantage some contestants had last time around - I know you generously only gave yourself one point, giving the remaining two points to other contestants, but most others didn't follow suit and voted all three points to themselves. This will assuage future situations such as this.

Less votes also makes it easier to tally up in the end ;-)
Anyway, my real question: So we can do anything we want so long as it is a Christmas themed scene?
HOLIDAY-themed scene, it could be Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, New Year's, Boxing Day, Little Christmas... We're an all-inclusive LEGO enthusiast site :up:
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Cool! Here come's my Festivus Pole vignette, complete with the feats of strength and airing of the grievances! (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out this clip.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8g4Ztf7hIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, I'm totally kidding about Festivus, but thanks for answering my question. I'm going to be thinking outside the box on this one.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 pm

vynsane wrote:
hatcher wrote:I wonder if anyone else noticed the new rule about contestants not being allowed to vote any more. I think thats an ok rule, but some others might be miffed. I do wonder if it will reduce the voting pool significantly as the majority of active members entered the last contest.
It may reduce the voting pool, but at the same time, so does 40 contestants voting all three of their points to themselves - really, the last one was decided by people who didn't enter the contest anyway, so it's a wash. It also takes away the unfair advantage some contestants had last time around - I know you generously only gave yourself one point, giving the remaining two points to other contestants, but most others didn't follow suit and voted all three points to themselves. This will assuage future situations such as this.

Less votes also makes it easier to tally up in the end ;-)
HOLIDAY-themed scene, it could be Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, New Year's, Boxing Day, Little Christmas... We're an all-inclusive LEGO enthusiast site :up:
I'm glad there's no voting by contestants. If you're in a contest that you're trying to win, it only encourages you to try and game the system and the most obvious way to do so is to just vote your points for yourself.

That said I am not happy that I do not get to enter. I started as soon as I saw the contest announced and now I can't do anything with it! :cry:
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

dubious2515
Peasant
Peasant

Post by dubious2515 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Will minifigs count as one piece? Or will the head, hair, legs, and torso count as 4 pieces?
Please take a look at what I have!

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=dubious2515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knobby Plastic
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Knobby Plastic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:05 am

I'm much happier about the new rules, still sad that I can't enter but I guess they make sense.
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:31 pm

dubious2515 wrote:Will minifigs count as one piece? Or will the head, hair, legs, and torso count as 4 pieces?
Minifigures do not count as one piece.

peanut
Knight
Knight

Post by peanut » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Very cool prizes. I can't wait to see the builds! I hope a lot of people vote :up:

hatcher
Count
Count

Post by hatcher » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:42 pm

As I ponder my potential build for this contest, I need to ask, do Halloween, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, Valentine's Day, and St Patricks day count as "Winter" holidays? I assume New Years Eve and Valentines day definitely count as they are definitely in Winter, but what about the others?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:57 pm

It should be more towards the Christmas Holidays. Saint Patrick and Valentine's Day is definately not the purpose of this contest.