[Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
Yatkuu
I'm New !

Re: [Entries] Microbuild LEGO Tournament 2012

Post by Yatkuu » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm

Hello everyone!

My friend Pixel Fox and myself are very happy to present you our entry in this awesome contest... the mini-Winchester!

The mini-Win - front by Yatkuu, on Flickr

The mini-Win - rear view by Yatkuu, on Flickr

This build is made of 208 bricks - the LDD file can be downloaded here.

The “mini-Win” is of course compatible with the official ones, as you can see in this insanely cool artwork made by Pixel Fox.
For those of you who do not know it, the Winchester Tavern is a pub featured in the British Zombie comedy “Shaun of the Dead” - here is a reference picture of the original building.

Now... we could not present this build and not mention his big brother... the large modular scaled Winchester is a CUUSOO project that we are currently promoting. Here is a shot with the 2 versions next to each other. If you like it (the big one) you can support it here on CUUSOO!

Thanks to Toys N Bricks for organizing this contest and good luck to all participants!

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 am

Yatkuu wrote:Hello everyone!

My friend Pixel Fox and myself are very happy to present you our entry in this awesome contest... the mini-Winchester!

Thanks to Toys N Bricks for organizing this contest and good luck to all participants!
Wow! I like it. Very clean and simple, yet very effective. Good luck to you too. I better upload my entry soon before more good ones show up and I become too embarrassed to enter.

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:36 am

Number of pieces: 231

Timing of this contest was perfect. I'm a recent AFOL that came out of the dark ages a few months ago. It was a perfect excuse to buy the mini-modulars for research. :)
Coming out of the dark ages I decided to stick with very small dioramas/vignettes and micro building to keep cost of MOC'ing low. As you can see, I’ve already learned some of the basic LEGO lingo.

Since two of the modulars have dates of 1932 (Fire Brigade) and Town Hall (1891), I based my model on a theater made around the early 1900’s.

Main elements:
- Signature marquee sign. Gotta have a marquee sign.
- In addition to the marquee, a giant sign with theater name is suspended above. Since custom stickers were not allowed, we can just imagine L-E-G-O as the giant letters for the theater name sign. A sign a large as this also requires a sturdy metal frame to secure it safely to the building.
- Luckily we are catching the theater before a movie premiere. “Velvet rope” surrounds the entrance for crowd control.
- Spotlights are in position in front to make the event even more dramatic. They can also be moved to the top of the building for safety (or to be valid for the contest).
- A red carpet is also rolled out for a traditional movie opening.
- A couple of movie posters are placed in front to display upcoming movies.
- Glass windowed ticket booth is situated next to the front doors.
- The back of the theater is not quite as glamorous. This is the alley and basically just has the traditional alley decor of a dumpster and a garbage can. Perhaps the Waynes have walked past this alley.

I chose 1938 as the year the theater was built. Why? Because that was the only year I could make "micro" size. The block with the 1938 isn’t an official part of the contest entry (here). I just thought it was cool to have a date made with LEGOs like some of the official LEGO modulars even if I couldn’t fit it into the building.

Additional photos can be viewed here

Special thanks to my kids who loaned me most of the pieces I needed.

Good luck to everyone else! I can't wait to see the other entries.

silvashado
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by silvashado » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:15 am

Yatkuu wrote:Hello everyone!

This build is made of 208 bricks - the LDD file can be downloaded here.

The “mini-Win” is of course compatible with the official ones, as you can see in this insanely cool artwork made by Pixel Fox.
For those of you who do not know it, the Winchester Tavern is a pub featured in the British Zombie comedy “Shaun of the Dead” - here is a reference picture of the original building.

Now... we could not present this build and not mention his big brother... the large modular scaled Winchester is a CUUSOO project that we are currently promoting. Here is a shot with the 2 versions next to each other. If you like it (the big one) you can support it here on CUUSOO!

Awesome!! That is so cool! Love the mini version of your big model. :up:

Mr.Attacki
I'm New !

Post by Mr.Attacki » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Micro Apple Store
Created for the Toys N Bricks Microbuild Tournament 2012
Number of peices: 202

Base on design of Apple Store on Sainte-Catherine Street in Montreal. Building with SNOT techniques inside & out, signature glass stair case, glass roof & colorful nano inspired billboard background.

Last edited by Mr.Attacki on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 am

Fantastic entries everyone! This is going to be tough to vote on!

echax
I'm New !

Post by echax » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:25 pm

This is my entry for the Microbuild LEGO Tournament Contest.
It is called Petit Patesserie.
219 pieces.

Here is a overview of the entire thing..

This is a picture of the inside of the bottom floor..

This building represents a bakery, or as in French, 'patisserie'. Petit, as most of you may probably know means, little, also in French. The name clicked and I thought the alliteration would make it sound nice. The whole thing is in an white and yellow colour scheme, featuring quite a bit of red, too.

The ground floor features a nice oven & stove, with a freshly baked cake waiting to be sold to it's awaiting owner. Behind the display case, there is an array of tasty pastries, iced and ready to go!! A friendly microfigure is waiting to serve you from behind the counter, serving the variety of luscious goodies! Also, inviting you in to eat are some lovely flowers. Apart from that, there is an awning to keep the rain away and two exhausts rid the kitchen of unwanted smells.

Travel upstairs to see two neat tables with four little stools each. Again, we have a nice awning- red and yellow this time. Go over to the balcony to see the view of the town below, or sit down for a tasty snack. Enjoy a night under the stars- or come in at day and check out the blazing sun- it's always sunny in LEGO City!!!Finally, look up at the roof to see the turning sign.

Well, that's my entry. Wishing luck to every competitor, some of them are really good. I hope I win this awesome prize!!

mrjensmeister
I'm New !

Post by mrjensmeister » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 am

KD's Diner

Complete with alley, dumpster, and signs for each of the stores.

The burger is i believe new, using the new Bright Green Round 1 x 1 with Flower Edge as lettuce. Comes off well.
Also made a lamp post, which the official set ignores.
Both the front door and dumpster open for play, and the dumpster contents fit inside when closed.

PC 238
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f88/m ... nt%202012/
More pictures can be found at above link.
Last edited by mrjensmeister on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

echax
I'm New !

Post by echax » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 am

These entries are amazing! I have a lot of good competition!! :-D :-D :-D

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 am

Wow, there are some awesome entries in here! Good luck everyone!

nick91884
Knight
Knight

Post by nick91884 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 am

Mini Museum

172 pieces
"The problem with quotes on the internet is it's difficult to determine if indeed they are true" -Abraham Lincoln

mrklaw
I'm New !

Post by mrklaw » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:18 am

this is my entry, on behalf of my 10-year-old son - its a Spanish Restaurant. 143 pieces, corner building.

Lego pics_April 08, 2012_P1010220 by richard.plumb, on Flickr

There is a table and chairs outside on the patio, and also indoors if the weather is cold
Lego pics_April 08, 2012_P1010219 by richard.plumb, on Flickr

blackpyre
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blackpyre » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:16 am

mrklaw wrote:this is my entry, on behalf of my 10-year-old son - its a Spanish Restaurant. 143 pieces, corner building.
I have to say, your son has excellent "Tastes." Perhaps it should be named after him like El Hijo or Mi Higo. Translates into The Son or My Son.

Will

citizen
I'm New !

Post by citizen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:56 am

Hello everyone! You may find that I am a new face, and indeed, I am! I discovered this forum and this competition by an accidental click. And well, here is my entry.
It is a micro national museum. It is built with 209 bricks in total and it is a about 11-bricks high building. It isn't based on any real building, but my imagination only. I choose to built it with white bricks for two reasons: 1. Museums are usually in white or sand brown; 2. I have more white bricks! :lol: . There are a few highlights of my model. First of all, it's the roof. I have thought for a long time about the roof, as it's hard to create a good but special roof. Luckily, I was then inspired by my history textbook. So, I came up with an idea of building a pediment for the roof of the museum. Second, it's the dark green windows. Since I don't have any dark green angular bricks, I use a new technique (at least I think it is...) to build the windows. You can see that in the link below. Third, it's the pillars. Actually, the idea of using pillars is inspired by 10224 Town Hall. I use the SNOT technique to create those pillars.
That's the end of my entry, and I hope you can give me some comments so that I can improve my model before the deadline. I am really eager to win the Town Hall since it is a bit over-budget to buy. Hope that you enjoy my national museum and will support my creation! At last, I want to say thankyou to Toys N Bricks for organizing this great competition. Also, it is an honor to compete with you awesome builders! Good luck for everyone!
For additional photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legocityso ... 063918015/

striderhiryu
Citizen
Citizen

Post by striderhiryu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Here's my entry :-)
The Brick Fever Nightclub which features a rooftop pool overlooking the street and other buildings.
286 pcs. Deck of the roof/pool is a little above the height of the other buildings' rooves.

flickr

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 am

Brick's Art Gallery
Pieces: 171

2012-04-11 4-11-12LEGOArtGallery 010 by atmail35, on Flickr

2012-04-11 4-11-12LEGOArtGallery 028 by atmail35, on Flickr

This is Brick’s Art Gallery which is owned by an up-and-coming artist Emma Brick. The first floor is the gallery where Ms. Brick sells and displays her work. Ms. Brick works mainly in watercolors and sculpture. One of her famous sculptures can be seen as you walk in the front door.

The second floor is Ms. Brick’s studio where she creates her lovely artwork. Notice she has two paintings in process. The studio has lots of windows to provide natural light.

The top floor is her apartment, complete with roof deck. You can see one of her pieces on the wall of her apartment, titled “Pink Flower”.

The roof deck has several potted trees for privacy and two pink chaise lounge chairs for relaxing on a nice day. There also is a small table to hold your drinks. The potted palm tree provides some shade from the hot Florida weather.

The gallery is located in the trendy Miami area of South Beach.

I really wanted to use the fun colors from the Friends sets. The colors reminded me of a vacation we took to South Beach in Miami. I want to thank my daughter for allowing me to cannibalize her Friends sets for parts! This is really the first MOC that I’ve finished and I must say it is addicting! I hope you like it!

More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31073717@N ... 067610513/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iccarus
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by iccarus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Recently building some of the mini-modulars inspired me to make my own attempt at this. Here's my entry, a nice little church. At 185 pieces, I tried to keep it a little simple. I wanted to avoid over decorating. I used transparent blocks inside to help the windows catch a little natural light since I lack a light brick to highlight the windows.

The back side has a little courtyard with a rear door. You can see some more pictures here.

EDIT - fixed image tags

chubbychickenlego
I'm New !

Post by chubbychickenlego » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:43 pm

lego_side.jpg
lego_front.jpg
Here is my entry for the mini modular contest. It's a mini ToysRus store. 220 pieces.
Thanks for looking!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chubbychickenlego on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rocao
I'm New !

Post by rocao » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Twin Palms Resort and Spa

Twin Palms - front view by rocao, on Flickr
Twin Palms - perspective by rocao, on Flickr

284 pieces. More images on my flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63181062@N ... 072177451/

Due to the robust economy and high standard of living that LEGOLand enjoys, town planners commissioned a second hotel for Main Street, intending it to be a more upscale alternative to the six-year-old Cafe Corner.

Rocao Enterprises won the bid for construction of the project with their vision of a Mediterranean-style luxury resort and spa. They scored another victory when they managed to secure the most desirable plot of land in downtown LEGOLand by promising to leave the two large palm trees on the plot intact.

In a true feat of artistry, architects designed the hotel to literally envelop the trees and guarantee they forever would be maintained as part of the property. When the project was completed, it was naturally named Twin Palms Resort and Spa.

The owner of Rocao Enterprises is actually of asian heritage, and incorporates many elements of Feng Shui to ensure the prosperity of their properties. That philosophy is exhibited in the fountain at the entrance, the cut-away architectural design, and the dragon and koi sculptures, all intended for luck, harmony, and prosperity.

TheLegoDr
I'm New !

Post by TheLegoDr » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 pm

When I saw this contest I was super excited. I ordered the Mini Modulars immediately. I am also on Eurobricks under TheLegoDr, so some people may have seen some posts of mine there. The photos are under my wife's flickr, which are now in the group pool.

Here is my entry, the First Bank of Brick. The color scheme is derived from a local bank of my hometown. The name is somewhat similar to it as well. The building consists of 179 pieces. Some of the first floor middle consists of a revolving door that actually revolves and tall windows that are typical of banks of this caliber. The second floor shows a grand front window with an arch and some structural detail to complement. The roofing gives a similar feel to the Green Grocer, without being a carbon copy, to show the era in which the buildings were constructed.

I hope you enjoy.

Frontview showing the revolving door.

Street scene with the other Mini Modulars.