LEGO Contest Discussion Topic

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Contest Discussion Topic

Post by Toys N Bricks » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Discuss past contests or future contests here.
Got a great competition idea? Share it with us!
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

Fatyankee
Peasant
Peasant

Re: LEGO Contest Discussion Topic

Post by Fatyankee » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:36 am

just to get the ball moving some ideas ill throw out

A movie scene contest , Kinda like the last competition a $25 size set and a 4-5 minifigs and recreate a classic movie scene with a genre selected for what movie type, ie Horror or sci-fi, could be interesting . Especially for those into customs

or we could have a scene from a pre-determined movie or movies like Lord of the Rings, Avatar etc
We could even have a Prince of Persia scene contest after the film is released as the sets look pretty decent with some cool new pieces

Another option is to do an alternative build competition, Check out the ASS contest on from bricks to Bothans
We would all have to get the same set and use only the pieces included to make something else from it
Ie make a Spacecraft from the set - Indiana Jones Venice Canal Chase (7197)
But doing this may not appeal to those with no interest in the chosen line and could be too expensive for some as it would need to be at least $25-35 dollar set to get enough pieces

A vote to see what type of contest may not be a bad idea and if we went with building an alternative from a certain set we could vote on the set
any way these are just ideas and i am pretty much up for anything

TheMissingPiece
I'm New !

Post by TheMissingPiece » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Or, a rather simple one, a Purist minifigure contest.

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Fatyankee wrote:just to get the ball moving some ideas ill throw out

A movie scene contest , Kinda like the last competition a $25 size set and a 4-5 minifigs and recreate a classic movie scene with a genre selected for what movie type, ie Horror or sci-fi, could be interesting . Especially for those into customs

or we could have a scene from a pre-determined movie or movies like Lord of the Rings, Avatar etc
We could even have a Prince of Persia scene contest after the film is released as the sets look pretty decent with some cool new pieces

Another option is to do an alternative build competition, Check out the ASS contest on from bricks to Bothans
We would all have to get the same set and use only the pieces included to make something else from it
Ie make a Spacecraft from the set - Indiana Jones Venice Canal Chase (7197)
But doing this may not appeal to those with no interest in the chosen line and could be too expensive for some as it would need to be at least $25-35 dollar set to get enough pieces

A vote to see what type of contest may not be a bad idea and if we went with building an alternative from a certain set we could vote on the set
any way these are just ideas and i am pretty much up for anything
Those are great ideas you have. We'll certainly take those into consideration.
TheMissingPiece wrote:Or, a rather simple one, a Purist minifigure contest.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:55 am

I think he means by "Purist Minifig" contest is you have to make a custom minifig using only standard lego parts, no stickers, paint, etc. So,for example, you'd have to make your own say, Barack Obama fig that way.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Fatyankee
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Fatyankee » Fri May 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Come on guys , lets get something going on, I am not keen on the idea of a minifig competition, as it has too many limitations but Eurobricks has had a Avatar competition with the PoP theme , and that is very similar.

Eurobricks has also got 3 other competitions going on right now with the PoP theme , I have entered 2 of them , and very much doubt i will get to enter the 3rd as i don't have the time or the resources to compete in the big category , but anyone who is interested should check it out

Aside from that lets get something up n running on this site, This is the 1st place i log onto to do with anything LEGO related, and it seem like a Good little community of people , So lets keep it interesting and Fun
and get some ideas flowing

Fatyankee
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Fatyankee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:51 am

I am always on the lookout for a challenge and browse other several LEGO sites most days
I was wondering if we should notify each other on these forums of contests held on other sites
we could even put up pics of mocs in progress and get some advice from other members

Any way , i wanted to ask the Mods here 1st before i say what competitions im involved with
But i for one would love to be kept informed of any competitions going on

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:04 pm

I think if the site had a partnership with one or the other sites it would be ok to post a link to it but if not then its really like cross promoting another site over this one, even if it might not seem that way.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Fatyankee wrote:I am always on the lookout for a challenge and browse other several LEGO sites most days
I was wondering if we should notify each other on these forums of contests held on other sites
we could even put up pics of mocs in progress and get some advice from other members

Any way , i wanted to ask the Mods here 1st before i say what competitions im involved with
But i for one would love to be kept informed of any competitions going on
Sorry. At this point in time, I would prefer not to have other sites competitions announced here.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:11 am

It's nice to have speedy clarification.

Fatyankee
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Fatyankee » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:34 am

No problem ;)

micah82
Peasant
Peasant

Post by micah82 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Toy Story contest possibly?

TClone
Knight
Knight

Post by TClone » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 pm

It's interesting the top responder contest was changed because of replies to old posts and now we have reviews on 8-month-old sets...

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:57 pm

TClone wrote:It's interesting the top responder contest was changed because of replies to old posts and now we have reviews on 8-month-old sets...
I review sets on the 'as I buy them' basis. I think the contest is good and is definitely better than the flood of old posts and redundant information being posted. Plus it's easy to spot and quantify a good review: lots of pictures, lots of insights, specific points of interests, etc. Most of the posts that we were getting we simply 'Hey guys, I bumped this thread up!'

Plus who cares if the sets are older? The Droid Tri Fighter was out for quite a while and when I reviewed it I had multiple people tell me they were buying it because I recommended it. Reviews for sets are a deal or no deal situation here.

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:58 pm

I don't buy sets until they go on sale usually (Cad Bane's speeder being an exception) and I usually buy a whole bunch at a time. I love those buy one get one 50% off sales. Zellers had one last month, and I got a lot of sets that I've had my eye on for a while. So, while the sets I review may not be "new releases", they are new to me, and like legitima 8-) tealex said, I review them when I get them/open them. I have a pile of unopened sets sitting next to me as I speak that I will probably not get through before the end of the contest. But don't worry, I'll still review them as I build them, I'm really enjoying the reviewing process. 8-)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:57 am

As long as the sets are able to be purchased from somewhere, reviewing them is relevant. Just thought I'd add that addendum but I can't seem to edit my first post for some reason. How strange.

NIGELTTF
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by NIGELTTF » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:07 am

legitimatealex wrote:As long as the sets are able to be purchased from somewhere, reviewing them is relevant. Just thought I'd add that addendum but I can't seem to edit my first post for some reason. How strange.
So no reviewing the "Escape from Pivet Drive" I opened the other day? :lol:

Everybody
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by Everybody » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:25 pm

What about a monument contest, pick a famous place building etc. and vote on who's is the best.

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:03 pm

micro-scale contest - build something on the microscale

or perhaps

have a competition where you see who can build the best thing out of a particular set (something small-med. which is common among us > ie: Clone Walker BP or something)

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:03 am

tired wrote:micro-scale contest - build something on the microscale
Sounds good to me. :)