LEGO Contest Discussion Topic

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LEGO Contest Discussion Topic

Post by possum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:32 am

Mantisking wrote:
tired wrote:micro-scale contest - build something on the microscale
Sounds good to me. :)
Agreed.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:38 am

I think it would be a good idea, but would need a theme.
i.e. buildings, vehicles. etc.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by possum » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:51 am

ncbarrett wrote:
I think it would be a good idea, but would need a theme.
i.e. buildings, vehicles. etc.
What about a building from the entrant's town? We'd have to provide a photo of course.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 am

possum wrote:What about a building from the entrant's town? We'd have to provide a photo of course.
Or we could do famous buildings. {* Tries to hide his MOC of Philip Johnson's Glass House. *}

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 am

I always thought that a minimalist contest would be great. With like 75 pieces and under, show what you can create. You would be required though to include pictures showing all the pieces you used.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 am

We could always have a who has the biggest minifig army contest ;)

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 am

legitimatealex wrote:I always thought that a minimalist contest would be great. With like 75 pieces and under, show what you can create. You would be required though to include pictures showing all the pieces you used.
If it's only 75 pieces, it could be made part of the contest that the person also has to build their model in LDD and include the file. So photo of original, model and LDD file to enter. Might have to use the unlocked version that has all of the piece available instead of the standard version though.

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:56 am

I will always boycott any contest that includes LDD since a contest should be about what you can create with what you have, if you have unlimited pieces and parts where is the imagination in that? where is the pressure in that? thats not a contest but a gimmee.

Not too mention as said above if LDD is even required that might leave out alot of entries by people who don't know how or cannot use LDD.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 am

Asterios wrote:I will always boycott any contest that includes LDD since a contest should be about what you can create with what you have, if you have unlimited pieces and parts where is the imagination in that? where is the pressure in that? thats not a contest but a gimmee.
Someone really hates LDD.

I think any contest has people who like it, and people who don't.
Those who don't can not take part.
Simple.

No reason to get up in arms and boycott anything on this site.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 am

ncbarrett wrote:
Asterios wrote:I will always boycott any contest that includes LDD since a contest should be about what you can create with what you have, if you have unlimited pieces and parts where is the imagination in that? where is the pressure in that? thats not a contest but a gimmee.
Someone really hates LDD.

I think any contest has people who like it, and people who don't.
Those who don't can not take part.
Simple.

No reason to get up in arms and boycott anything on this site.

yes but tell me where is the fairness in a contest if some people cannot even enter, especially since such a contest would be illegal in the US (outside of Age Constraints), if there is a prize involved, so making LDD a required part would be a no no, as to me not joining a contest which allows LDD that is my choice.

Also I have nothing Against LDD to each his own, but I feel that LDD should be left out of contests in fact many sites leave LDD out of contests for the very fact it removes the challange from the contest.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 am

Asterios wrote: yes but tell me where is the fairness in a contest if some people cannot even enter, especially since such a contest would be illegal in the US (outside of Age Constraints), if there is a prize involved, so making LDD a required part would be a no no, as to me not joining a contest which allows LDD that is my choice.

Also I have nothing Against LDD to each his own, but I feel that LDD should be left out of contests in fact many sites leave LDD out of contests for the very fact it removes the challange from the contest.
Anybody tell LEGO that?

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 am

Asterios wrote:yes but tell me where is the fairness in a contest if some people cannot even enter, especially since such a contest would be illegal in the US (outside of Age Constraints), if there is a prize involved, so making LDD a required part would be a no no, as to me not joining a contest which allows LDD that is my choice.
Cannot enter? LDD is a free download last I checked.

ImmortalShark
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by ImmortalShark » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:31 am

Wow, I didn't think this would stir up such a fuss. I only suggested LDD because of the small number of pieces (75) that legitimatealex suggested. Using LDD was to be in addition to building a model. Each person would actually have to have the pieces to build their model.

My reason for suggesting LDD was two fold. One, to show that you used only 75 pieces. Two, to learn from people who are better builders then I am. Personally I appreciate it when someone posts the instructions for a build like Brickwild just did for his 1960's trailer. (Very cool by the way!)

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am

ncbarrett wrote:
Asterios wrote: yes but tell me where is the fairness in a contest if some people cannot even enter, especially since such a contest would be illegal in the US (outside of Age Constraints), if there is a prize involved, so making LDD a required part would be a no no, as to me not joining a contest which allows LDD that is my choice.

Anybody tell LEGO that?

But LEGO allows other avenues of entry in their contests, and do not make LDD a requirement when a prize is involved.

also mantisking, just because LDD is a free download does not mean its compatible with everyones computer, like ncbarrett said when he saw my computer "no wonder you don't like LDD you probably can't use it", while I can definately download LDD onto my computer I do not use it since it has no challenge to it, its a cheaters way out.

LEGO building contests are all about building what you can with what you got, thats the challenge LDD removes the challenge by giving you unlimited brick types and amounts.

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:38 am

Asterios wrote:
But LEGO allows other avenues of entry in their contests, and do not make LDD a requirement when a prize is involved.
Ah I see, I agree with you then that it shouldn't be made a mandate of a contest.
Asterios wrote: also mantisking, just because LDD is a free download does not mean its compatible with everyones computer, like ncbarrett said when he saw my computer "no wonder you don't like LDD you probably can't use it",
that was vynsane not me. ;)

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 am

ncbarrett wrote:
Asterios wrote: also mantisking, just because LDD is a free download does not mean its compatible with everyones computer, like ncbarrett said when he saw my computer "no wonder you don't like LDD you probably can't use it",
that was vynsane not me. ;)

my bad , knew it was a mod or something.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:54 am

Asterios wrote:also mantisking, just because LDD is a free download does not mean its compatible with everyones computer, like ncbarrett said when he saw my computer "no wonder you don't like LDD you probably can't use it", while I can definately download LDD onto my computer I do not use it since it has no challenge to it, its a cheaters way out.
I have heard of other people not being able to use LDD on their computers. Personally, I wouldn't use it because it won't allow certain connections between certain parts.

tired
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by tired » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:35 pm

However, I think the point of a minimalist or micro-scale contest is to avoid LDD. It forces builders to use their hands to put pieces together in unorthodox ways or build apart from their general styles. That is where all the NPU comments come from. Personally LDD designs are often large and chunky or used where redundancy is needed. In a contest, I have no problem with people using LDD. It might even impede creative design due to the complexity of micro-scale at times.

For themes, I was thinking along castle or space which are common. OR to take a set and build it in a micro-scale. Kinda like the Star Wars Mini's.

What would also be interesting is have a contest, where the objective to build something that fits a brick-built container of a certain dimension (ie length = 8 studs, width = 8 studs, height = 8 bricks)

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:45 pm

legitimatealex wrote:I always thought that a minimalist contest would be great. With like 75 pieces and under, show what you can create. You would be required though to include pictures showing all the pieces you used.
I dig this idea.
Asterios wrote:yes but tell me where is the fairness in a contest if some people cannot even enter, especially since such a contest would be illegal in the US (outside of Age Constraints), if there is a prize involved, so making LDD a required part would be a no no, as to me not joining a contest which allows LDD that is my choice.

Any contest is going to exclude people for one reason or another - be it because of the theme (I don't have any Pirate stuff, so that theme would be right out), or scale (I don't have that many pieces), or rules (if it's, say, a fast-build contest, I'd be out... I don't have enough time in my day to devote solely to LEGO).
tired wrote:For themes, I was thinking along castle or space which are common. OR to take a set and build it in a micro-scale. Kinda like the Star Wars Mini's.
Or do the opposite, like the GHL contest where there was a series of minis built and you had to pick one, and build a larger version of it.

Also, you could do an "Iron MOCer" (like Iron Chef) where there's a "secret ingredient" part that has to be incorporated into the MOC, and aside from that, the sky's the limit.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Asterios
Knight
Knight

Post by Asterios » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Also there is other factors to consider, like What are the prizes? who will supply the prizes? will they have any rules regarding the contest rules since they will be supplying the swag for prizes? and so on?