LEGO Contest Discussion Topic

Vote, View and participate in our LEGO Contests to win awesome LEGO prizes.
ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: LEGO Contest Discussion Topic

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 am

Asterios wrote:Also there is other factors to consider, like What are the prizes? who will supply the prizes? will they have any rules regarding the contest rules since they will be supplying the swag for prizes? and so on?
Toys N Bricks has always supplied the prizes, which to this point have been CMF's.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:28 am

Why don't we make a list of different ideas and build a poll?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:29 pm

ncbarrett wrote:
Asterios wrote:Also there is other factors to consider, like What are the prizes? who will supply the prizes? will they have any rules regarding the contest rules since they will be supplying the swag for prizes? and so on?
Toys N Bricks has always supplied the prizes, which to this point have been CMF's.
We also had a shadow stormtrooper keychain draw and a Star Wars Scene Contest before that. ;)

ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by ncbarrett » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:02 am

Ice wrote: We also had a shadow stormtrooper keychain draw and a Star Wars Scene Contest before that. ;)
Oh yeah.
My mind is faulty. 2 kids and no sleep. :lol:
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:10 pm

Any plans for a Christmas themed contest?
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 pm

legitimatealex wrote:Any plans for a Christmas themed contest?
New Contest is up!

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Ice wrote:
legitimatealex wrote:Any plans for a Christmas themed contest?
New Contest is up!
I swear I just have a 6th sense about these sorts of things : ) Good idea for a contest. I always like the minimalist ones.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Any word on a new contest? Next holiday up is Valentine's Day. That and Chinese New Year. Could be based around either of those two.

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Post by Mantisking » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 am

legitimatealex wrote:Any word on a new contest? Next holiday up is Valentine's Day. That and Chinese New Year. Could be based around either of those two.
A Chinese New Year contest would be awesome.

Nepenthe7
Knight
Knight

Post by Nepenthe7 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

It would be interesting to give a set of pieces and then ask people to build something (like the iron chef suggestion on a bigger scale)... or do it like chopped where there are certain secret ingredients that must be used, but then you can also add whatever else you want to it).

unclephn
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by unclephn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:22 pm

vynsane wrote:Also, you could do an "Iron MOCer" (like Iron Chef) where there's a "secret ingredient" part that has to be incorporated into the MOC, and aside from that, the sky's the limit.
This. Making a certain piece (or pieces) mandatory should inspire some creativity, the same way the secret ingredient inspires different dishes on Iron Chef.

legitimatealex
Count
Count

Post by legitimatealex » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:55 am

Halloween is far off...But why not start early on it?

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Our Top LEGO Set Reviewer Contest is still running, but we're already preparing for our 2011 Christmas LEGO Contest! If you have a great idea, please let us know here.

Even though the prizes have not been finalized yet, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed by them and most of you will probably want it since its a new product. =)

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, if you are looking for ideas, I'd suggest some kind of Christmas themed contest. Either something like design your own Christmas building like the Bakery or Toy Shop, or maybe a licensed theme Christmas, such as Christmas in Atlantis or on the Death Star, that kind of thing.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Legobrandon
Count
Count

Post by Legobrandon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 pm

I personally don't think it should be a 'voting' type contest this time. You've had many of those, and I think it is a little 'unfair' if I could say it that way. I am not the best MOC'er and some people are very, very good at it, and those people have the advantage. So my idea is to have a raffle. You still have to build something, but instead of voting on whats best, everyone has the same chance of winning by doing a raffle. And maybe you can earn extra entries for adding special elements to the MOC determined by the contest holder(s).

gschubert
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by gschubert » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:29 am

I think it has to be a building contest because you want people to be motivated to create something interesting to share ... perhaps a contest to build something that fits in the winter village.

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:41 am

I think there are merits to both contest types - voting and raffle. If you go with just a raffle style, you'll get people who throw two bricks on a plate and enter it. If you go with a voting style, inexperienced builders won't enter because they don't think they'll win.

I can think of two solutions - one is to have it be both. Everyone who enters gets a chance to win something (and it probably has to be something substantial enough to be worth the time of building an entry), plus have voting with a bigger prize going to the best MOC. Another option would be to have experience levels come into play. For example - one contest for rookies and one for master builders. I almost like this option better because the other option might still result in the 'two bricks on a plate' syndrome I mentioned above.

As for ideas, expanding the winter village was done last year by Eurobricks, so that isn't original. How about a contest to build a favorite holiday memory?

hatcher
Count
Count
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Post by hatcher » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:54 am

Oh how about a scene depicting your favorite Christmas song?
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Knobby Plastic
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Knobby Plastic » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 am

From me it's a complete and 100% no to a raffle. If it's a raffle than all incentive to build your best is lost. There just isn't a reason. Perhaps a compromise like suggested by meyerc13 but even so, I'd still be against it. :???:

As for a suggestion...hmmm...how 'bout a scene/vignette/diorama depicting a favorite Christmas/winter/snow activity. ;-)
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic

Ice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ice » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Legobrandon wrote:I personally don't think it should be a 'voting' type contest this time. You've had many of those, and I think it is a little 'unfair' if I could say it that way. I am not the best MOC'er and some people are very, very good at it, and those people have the advantage. So my idea is to have a raffle. You still have to build something, but instead of voting on whats best, everyone has the same chance of winning by doing a raffle. And maybe you can earn extra entries for adding special elements to the MOC determined by the contest holder(s).
As much as I like to have everyone to win, I'm afraid thats not possible because this is a "building contest" afterall. While I do like your idea on a raffle, it wouldn't be fair to those that spent countless days building a creation vs those that just spent 5 minutes. A raffle will mean that everyone gets an equal chance of winning. Though, I'm currently discussing the situation with the staff right now. ;-)

We do have other contests so there should be something for everyone. If you don't like Building Contests, you can try our Reviews Contest. That one is pretty much simply if you write lots of good reviews, you win. We also have raffles sometimes (most likely hidden). Who knows? There could be one coming up very soon. :)
meyerc13 wrote:I can think of two solutions - one is to have it be both. Everyone who enters gets a chance to win something (and it probably has to be something substantial enough to be worth the time of building an entry), plus have voting with a bigger prize going to the best MOC. Another option would be to have experience levels come into play. For example - one contest for rookies and one for master builders. I almost like this option better because the other option might still result in the 'two bricks on a plate' syndrome I mentioned above.
I like your raffle & voting idea as that could work. But for the entries level part, I'm not sure if that will work at all. Experience builders may start entering the rookies one which then defeats the purpose of it.