New Pick-A-Brick Wall Elements in-store

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
Cara
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Re: New Pick-A-Brick Wall Elements in-store

Post by Cara » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:47 pm

StClair, make sure you phone before you go and ask them if they have the pieces you are looking for out. Or if they will bring the boxes out from the back, if they have but but not in the tubes.

Red237
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Red237 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi. No brown horses at the Westfarms Mall Connecticut store...nor did they seem to have any CLUE what a few of us were asking for :(

dilbert12
Knight
Knight

Post by dilbert12 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:40 pm

creativerain wrote:
20140629_185508.jpg
I went in the store today and managed to fit 21 horses in the large cup! I tucked in all the legs and the head. Didn't manage to fit much else, but getting 21 horses was well worth it since im not sure if the stores will get them as often as the other pieces.
Good job! The LEGO store I found them at limited it to what you could fit in a small cup. I thought that was fair to let others have a chance. I was able to fit 9 horses in a small cup with a lot of the jewels and 1x2 plates.

I was able to fit 26 staircases in a large cup with lots of filler, enough to more than fill a small cup.

vorpalblade
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by vorpalblade » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Mantisking wrote:
merchant wrote:it is $100 now.
The K2 boxes are now $100? I purchased one back in January for $70.
I was talking to an employee in my store today, and one of the other customers asked the same question. They said the price went up at the start of the year. Right now they (not sure if it was for that specific store, or all stores) are in a inventory shortage for the loose parts so they aren't allowed to sell the cases at this time.

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:09 am

When I asked about buying case, they said they do it with some bricks but not with horses, at least that particular store- Northbrook IL
VENI VIDI VICI

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:29 pm

I need to get as many purple plates/bricks as possible. They are so expensive on Bricklink.

911diecast
Citizen
Citizen

Post by 911diecast » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:19 pm

dilbert12 wrote:
creativerain wrote:
20140629_185508.jpg
I went in the store today and managed to fit 21 horses in the large cup! I tucked in all the legs and the head. Didn't manage to fit much else, but getting 21 horses was well worth it since im not sure if the stores will get them as often as the other pieces.
Good job! The LEGO store I found them at limited it to what you could fit in a small cup. I thought that was fair to let others have a chance. I was able to fit 9 horses in a small cup with a lot of the jewels and 1x2 plates.

I was able to fit 26 staircases in a large cup with lots of filler, enough to more than fill a small cup.

Clue on how you fit that many staircases?

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:36 pm

I went to a LEGO store in Glendale, CA and they had some new pieces but no horses! They also didn't have BrickJournal (my fave magazine)! So I just got minifigs. Hope to post them tomorrow.
Building LEGOs, one piece at a time...

My Flickr

poniemomo
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by poniemomo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:24 pm

JustBrickin wrote:I went to a LEGO store in Glendale, CA and they had some new pieces but no horses! They also didn't have BrickJournal (my fave magazine)! So I just got minifigs. Hope to post them tomorrow.
Topanga Lego Store didn't have the horses on Monday but the employee I spoke with does expect to get them.

JustBrickin
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by JustBrickin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 am

I need to go to Topanga then! What I found shocking was that Glendale didn't have any discounts on LEGO. Never seen that happen!
Building LEGOs, one piece at a time...

My Flickr

SEK527
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by SEK527 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:28 pm

I just got back from a LEGO run. There are 19 horses in this cup. In each saddle opening I stacked a 1x2 brick. 1x2 plate & 1x2 tile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StClair
Count
Count

Post by StClair » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:22 pm

My son and I made our first trip to a LEGO store and the PAB wall. I'm not sure if it was worth (from a money point of view) 4 hours round trip but it was an experience that we really enjoyed. It was a great excuse for a road trip. Thank you to everyone that offered advice about fitting pieces into the cups. This store didn't have any trans blue 1x2 tiles (that I wanted) but it did have some great pieces as you can see in my picture. They had only a few horses (maybe 20 left... it 3 pm I think.. so maybe they sold a lot before I got there). Here is the contents of my TWO cups
Imagepickabrickhaul103_2001 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

I did something similar to the video that atmail35 posted in this thread (stacking bricks into layers) and it helped me get a lot more for my money.
In the picture below you can see a cup full of pieces (piled in... not stacked and then shaken to pack it in as much as possible) and a pile of pieces beside it.
Imagepickbrick_103_1992 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
All of those pieces originally fit into the cup when I stacked the bricks and dropped the small tiles and pieces into the remaining empty areas in a similar in a similar fashion to the guy in the video (that atmail35 posted earlier in this thread). It really makes a big difference. All of the pieces that piled beside the cup are pieces that I would have missed out on if I had just filled the cup by piling them in
Just to help newcomers to understand just how much a difference that is I dumped the cup out (picture below) beside the other pile so that we can compare the piles. By stacking the pieces I was able to get both piles into the cup... not just the pile on the left.
Imagepickbrick_103_1993 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
There are tons of suggestions of youtube and other sites in which people argue about what is the best way to stack the bricks... I don't have the answer but here is how I did "stack" mine.
Imagepickbrick_103_1988 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
1. I filled in the tiny space in the bottom of the cup (until they are level with the obstruction in the bottom of the cup
2. I put the bricks together as you can see above (most are 2x4 bricks but there are some 1x2s as well)
3. Stacked a few in the cup checking to make sure that they are fitting into the cups properly
4. dumped small quantities of small pieces that I wanted and shook the cup so that all pieces fall into the empty crevices. (I even twisted the stacks just a bit to be sure that were settling into the lowest empty spots)
Imagepickbrick_103_1966 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
5. Repeated steps 3 and 4 until I reached the top
6. Added one more layer or stacked bricks so that this layer actually protrudes above the top of the cup
7. added a few pieces on top that fit into the "stud" thingy on the top of the lid
8. held the lid on while dropping small tiles and pieces into any empty spots that I could see around the lid
9. Let them tape it "shut for me"
Below is a picture of the pieces "stacked" (outside the cup) and the pieces that went below and around the stacks
Imagepickbrick_103_1968 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
In my second cup I did the same with bricks and small pieces until the last 2 layers. There I added 2 horses... filled in all of the small around the horses with smaller pieces and then added 2 more horses with smaller pieces around them. Then I added one layer of "stacked"bricks and a smaller stack inside the stud thingy on top of the lid before taping the lid on
Imagepickbrick_103_1977 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr
Imagepickbrick_103_1976 by ponderingzissou, on Flickr

The contents of my two cups were 1288 pieces. I was super excited to get that many "tan" 2x4s and light blue 1x2s.
The guy in the video that atmail35 shared does a great job explaining if my post is unclear

MrJymm
I'm New !

Post by MrJymm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 am

Anyone happen to know if Orland Park and/or Schaumburg, IL have been updated with this new stuff? BrickBuildr.com is a couple months out of date for each. I'm planning to drive a couple hours from Peoria to check them out for the first time, and to get bricks for my son's birthday goodie bags. It would be a much easier trip if there was a reliable way to know what was most likely available so I could plan ahead.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:49 am

Isn't Schaumburg a LEGOLAND Discovery Center? They're not affiliated with LEGO Brand Stores so they're not on the same schedule. Orland Square Mall is an LBS, as is Water Tower Place, so they should either have the refresh or soon if they've not already.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

MrJymm
I'm New !

Post by MrJymm » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:51 am

Schaumburg has a discovery center in a retail strip mall, but there is also a normal store in the nearby Woodfield Mall.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:34 am

^ Ah, gotcha. Didn't realize there were both in that area. Any LEGO Brand Stores should have the new elements at this point.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:45 am

I went to orland park store week ago and they had horses, blue gems and other new pieces.
VENI VIDI VICI

MrJymm
I'm New !

Post by MrJymm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:11 am

Dang, that's good news, but it means I can't rely much on planning ahead of time from the info on brickbuildr or wallofbricks. It's too bad that the store employees don't get involved with updating those sites. Guess we'll just see what I come up with when I go up there next weekend.

MrJymm
I'm New !

Post by MrJymm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:19 am

lordoflego, do you have any recommendation between Orland Park and Woodfield? I was planning to go to Orland Park because they apparently have a larger wall, but for all I know a lot of that extra space could be duplicates or something. Any experience on one store being better than the other for selection, or nicer employees or whatever?

lordoflego
Knight
Knight

Post by lordoflego » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Orland park is far from my house so I only go there if I have to :) I'm ten minutes away from Schaumburg/Woodfield so that's where I usually go. If I were you I'd go to Schaumburg/Woodfield- you have Lego store inside the mall with a pick a brick wall plus less than a mile away, across the street, there is Lego discovery center with retail store and something very similar to pick-a-brick but you fill up a bag and price is per weight...I'd go to 2 stores at Woodfield.
VENI VIDI VICI