Lego (Pick-A-Brick) Shortage

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Lego (Pick-A-Brick) Shortage

Post by greanie2011 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 am

Not sure if this has been discussed (My search yielded no results).

I called my Local lego store to see if they had a few bricks on their pick-a-brick wall, or in the sealed boxes (The ones they use to fill the wall) for sell. I was told LEGO has put a hold on selling the whole boxes of individual bricks until 2015 due to a shortage of Legos.

Anyone else experience this?
A shortage??? :eek:
Is this true???? :think:

Mantisking
Top Forum Contributor
Top Forum Contributor

Re: Lego (Pick-A-Brick) Shortage

Post by Mantisking » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:15 am

I've heard the price on K2 boxes has gone up, but nothing about a shortage.

MrVEP
Knight
Knight

Post by MrVEP » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 pm

When I went to Orlando Lego Discovery Center this past summer, I made a PAB purchase and they sent me an email to rate my experience at the store.

Very respectfully I told them that while it was always fun and exciting to buy at the store, they needed to improve the PAB selection. I let them know how many repetitive pieces they had and how many more variety they could order for the fans of all ages. I told them that there are many parts from all themes that could be extremely successful and will sell fast ( windows & doors (frames and glass), roof slopes, panels (all sizes), tiles, trees, wings etc. I point out the experience with the horses earlier this summer and how well they sold.

The next day I received and email from an assistant manager letting me know how sorry they were regarding their limited supply on the PAB. Also he said that they were having shortages from LEGO supply of bricks.
So it could be true or it could just be what they are being told to say....take it as it's :think:

Katra
I'm New !

Post by Katra » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:38 pm

A month and a half ago I went to my 'local' (Tigard OR) Lego store and found about eight empty bins. When I asked an employee he said they have been having a shortage of parts especially 2X4 bricks. My last visit Oct 3 there weren't any empty slots; so maybe it's getting better.

blarghiflargh
Citizen
Citizen

Post by blarghiflargh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Went to one of the DC stores today(Tyson's Corner) and there was a lot of parts in the bins. Seemed like a majority of Friends-colored pieces. Not really pastels but the brighter colors. Standouts were purple 1x2 tiles, 1x2 lime green tiles with stud, white picket fence pieces. Lots of 1x1 bricks in bright colors. Got 132 dark grey 1x1s, about 112 light royal blue 1x1s, 69 trans black 1x2s, some 3069bpx19, 13 picket fence pieces, a few dozen each of red and blue gemstones.

Brick & Blue
Count
Count

Post by Brick & Blue » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 am

I was at the Flatron? (The 5th Ave NYC) store for the Comic Con Bionicle special thingie. They had a bunch of colorful parts, so maybe it was just a temp thing.

However I think it's becoming increasingly clear that LEGO plants can't keep up with the demand and the fact LEGO makes too many themes/sets a year now.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:52 am

TLG notoriously gives first choice of PaB pieces to higher-yield stores, so the NYC stores will get first draft pick over, say, Roosevelt Field or Danbury (to pick stores in the same general region for comparison).
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

condor
Knight
Knight

Post by condor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:23 am

I wonder if this is why they got rid of the free PaB box this year.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:13 pm

vynsane wrote:TLG notoriously gives first choice of PaB pieces to higher-yield stores, so the NYC stores will get first draft pick over, say, Roosevelt Field or Danbury (to pick stores in the same general region for comparison).
Been awhile since I've been to the Rockefeller store, do you know if they charge more?

It's a tourist attraction and a mad house.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Last I was there, they still had the PaB and BaM stations at the same price as other stores, but it's been more than a year since I last set foot in that store.

nychromastone
I'm New !

Post by nychromastone » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:02 pm

slacker wrote:
Been awhile since I've been to the Rockefeller store, do you know if they charge more?

It's a tourist attraction and a mad house.
checked the prices today sm 8.99 and lg 15.99

yes, it was a mad house with tons of tourists but the flatiron store is a madhouse
with tons of kids. take your pick =]

brickarmor
Knight
Knight

Post by brickarmor » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:09 pm

I went to the Concord Mills store near the end of October and the wall was PACKED. I wish I'd had time to stack more cups. The only noticeable absence was LBG 2x4 bricks. Of course that may all change as Lego season gets in full swing.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:15 pm

nychromastone wrote:checked the prices today sm 8.99 and lg 15.99
Which, I believe, is the going rate at all LEGO Stores, right? They both went up a dollar sometime in the past year.

greanie2011
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by greanie2011 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:42 am

Same price i have seen. Has anyone been able to purchase the boxes used to fill the wall? What prices are you all seeing on those boxes?

CLMF Bricks
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen

Post by CLMF Bricks » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:21 am

I agree that the PAB wall has a bad selection. I really don't like that most bricks are just different coloured 2x4s or small studs, since those are not useful in MOCs. The only cool piece I saw was the 2x2 round brick in trans blue.