LEGO Garden - March 2012 Mini Model Build

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
Toys N Bricks
Administrator
Administrator

LEGO Garden - March 2012 Mini Model Build

Post by Toys N Bricks » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 am

This month's mini model build is a LEGO Garden! The event is Tuesday, March 6th, beginning at 5pm at your local LEGO Brand Store. Event is open to children aged 6-14 and only while supplies last. This is a FREE event and no purchase is necessary. *Date and schedule is for USA and Canada LEGO Brand Stores.

The event will take place in Germany/UK/Denmark on Thursday March 1st from 4-6PM.

LEGO Garden

Article Link: http://toysnbricks.com/lego-garden-marc ... del-build/
Toys N Bricks
A LEGO Fan Community. Like us on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter!

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Re: LEGO Garden - March 2012 Mini Model Build

Post by harrelmusic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Can anyone describe what it's like to go to one of the monthly builds? We have a LEGO Store coming to the area and I'm always curious if they're crazy or not. Have they ever had to turn you away because they ran out?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:06 pm

This thread has info:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically go early and bring stuff to do to pass the time! These seem to have gotten more crowded in the past few months. In February, at our store they cut off the line by about 6:15. I believe the max is 250 a store. I try to arrive before or as close to 5 as possible. Since your store will be new, it might take time for it to catch on.

lego guy
I'm New !

Post by lego guy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:22 pm

For us if you just get there an hour late there won't be a line. :-D

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:17 am

I go around 6:30pm now. It gets really crowded at 5pm. No point of waiting for an hour. One more thing, it gets hot inside. Between all the lights they have and a bunch people, leave the jacket in the car.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 am

I have definitely thought about going around 6:30 like Slacker mentioned, BUT since our store ran out at 6:15, I'm worried about going, getting in line and then being told they ran out. My daughter would be livid!

It is all YMMV, you sort of need to scope out your store. In the beginning, my advice is to go around 4:15 or 4:30 and if there is no line, walk around the mall and get in line when it makes sense. At least that way you are one of the first to go in and you wait on the front end.

The wait time also depends on how your store does it, ours lets about 20 kids in at a time and when a bunch come out, they let more in. At our store, you are NOT required to build it in-store (some do make you stay and build) so sometimes the line moves faster if people grab and go.

And yes, it is very hot in the store! And I prefer not to make any purchases that day because the store is crammed and it is crazy. :crazy: But I live close to the store and can visit anytime.

wkunert
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by wkunert » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:42 pm

I just want to say that this is one of the stranger mini-builds I've seen.
If this were February's build, I'd think the snake just ate the groundhog.

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:06 pm

In the beginning, nobody made any purchases. Now, there's a huge line. But weekdays are awesome here. The store is always empty. In NJ, the store is always packed. I used to go there alot because the PaB wall had better parts. But last week, my store had a bunch of horses. I think I got 40 of them.

harrelmusic
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen

Post by harrelmusic » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:06 pm

slacker wrote:In the beginning, nobody made any purchases. Now, there's a huge line. But weekdays are awesome here. The store is always empty. In NJ, the store is always packed. I used to go there alot because the PaB wall had better parts. But last week, my store had a bunch of horses. I think I got 40 of them.
How man cups did you have to buy to fit 40 horses!

I was excites because I got 4 of them from two grab bags. ;-)

slacker
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by slacker » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:22 am

Actually, I had the free PaB box from xmas. I was able to fit 13 the first time and 14 the second time I went back. so three boxes. The grab bags have been pretty sad here. I remember when I got train tracks a few years ago. That was a great score.

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 am

Whats been the cost of the grab bags at your Lego B/M store? I think the last time I was at the Lego B/M store it was $7.95 a bag.
Seeing some positive postings about them - I may have to grab some myself.
Does $7.95 sound standard for everyone with a Lego B/M store?

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:56 am

1brickshyofcrazy wrote:Whats been the cost of the grab bags at your Lego B/M store? I think the last time I was at the Lego B/M store it was $7.95 a bag.
The grab bags are $7.99 at my store, but sadly I haven't seen any available for sale in a while.

atmail35
Duke
Duke

Post by atmail35 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:03 am

harrelmusic wrote:
slacker wrote:In the beginning, nobody made any purchases. Now, there's a huge line. But weekdays are awesome here. The store is always empty. In NJ, the store is always packed. I used to go there alot because the PaB wall had better parts. But last week, my store had a bunch of horses. I think I got 40 of them.
How man cups did you have to buy to fit 40 horses!

I was excites because I got 4 of them from two grab bags. ;-)
If you look at this thread, I jammed 9 horses in a large PAB cup (it's on page 2), with plenty of other stuff too. http://www.toysnbricks.com/forums/viewt ... 1&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SpaceViking
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian

Post by SpaceViking » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:32 pm

1brickshyofcrazy wrote:Whats been the cost of the grab bags at your Lego B/M store? I think the last time I was at the Lego B/M store it was $7.95 a bag.
At all the stores I've been to, grab bags run $7.99. But, I've noticed they don't jam them quite as full as they used to.

Lforcey
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Lforcey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:40 pm

I picked up a few 7.99 grab bags at my local store a few weeks ago and they had another 10-12 on the shelf. But when I was there yesterday - zilch. The PAB wall looked like it hadn't turned over much, so maybe that has something to do with it? Seems like a lot of odds and ends in them usually, not what's currently on the wall.

vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator

Post by vynsane » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 pm

Grab Bags are usually partly broken down display pieces and other odds and ends - not necessarily stuff that's currently in the PaB wall.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

meyerc13
Knight
Knight

Post by meyerc13 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I was at the Mall of America store on Monday when they were filling grab bags. Lots of Friends, Dino, Ninjago, and City Forrest parts. I picked up three in the afternoon, stopped back after having dinner in the mall and the other 20-30 bags they had filled were gone. They definitely don't last long, especially when they are filled with pastel parts. The price was $7.99 as others have noted.

I was happy to get one complete minifig from the Dino theme, and another torso/legs (but no head/hat). Also got a Friends frying pan and purse in my bags.

1brickshyofcrazy
Knight
Knight

Post by 1brickshyofcrazy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:42 am

So after filling my last two PAB boxes at the local TLG B/M this past weekend.

I saw the grab bags and grabbed a few and they had a nice feel in weight and pieces in the grab bags from what I could see. I wish I would have grabbed whatever the local TLG B/M limit would be (around 5 maybe?)

So far I opened only one grab bag and it has been a good distraction in building some weird looking shaped mini art deco like buildings and stuff.

Has anyone every done that? Just take one grab bag and empty the contents and start building whatever you can or can come up with - with just the pieces and parts in the one grab bag?
It's sorta fun and stress relaxing to do IMO